Channels invisible (or channel views)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
golemus2

Channels invisible (or channel views)

Post by golemus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm

yeat another feature to make workflow faster.

For me a large amount of composing time goes to scrolling the arrangement view up and down and searching for the channel I want. With a "hide channel", "unhide channel" options would make this also much faster, you could put visible only those channels that you need at the moment. Even better would be customized channel view sets so that you can choose a subset of channels for each view. Cubase has some of these features, I suppose.. :)

friend_kami

Re: Channels invisible (or channel views)

Post by friend_kami » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:12 am

+1000000

when i did some sound design for a volvo press release thing i was working with some 150ish tracks per layer dammit.
surely i could consolidate them down into 5 main layers but i couldn't do that until me and the other people were satisfied.
that alot of time moving up and down, resizing, contracting and whatnots trying to find the right track eh.

incredibly annoying and took alot of time that i could have used elsewhere.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah sounds cool idea, at moment i just shrink the boxes so they are nearly impossible to see, leaving the tracks im working on open when editing after a mix.
Alex!

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 pm

friend_kami wrote:+1000000

when i did some sound design for a volvo press release thing i was working with some 150ish tracks per layer dammit.
surely i could consolidate them down into 5 main layers but i couldn't do that until me and the other people were satisfied.
that alot of time moving up and down, resizing, contracting and whatnots trying to find the right track eh.

150 tracks per layer :O fucking hell what was it a full on orchestra! that must have been mind fucking lol

Btw hope ya dont mind just checked your link to blog on some of your techniques, looks cool mate nice one.
Alex!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 pm

thanks.
and well, no it wasn't a full blown orchestra. i just did everything from total scratch, and basically each layer did somehting, might have been transients, adding attack, some back ground stuff etc.

but mainly i did everything from total scratch. i don't use plugins so i basically sat down with operator, alot of editing, and alot of sampling around the office ;)

more fun that way :D

not very uncommon for me to sit with well over 100 tracks, and certainly not uncommon to do that, then render it down to a stemgroup and do another set. depends on what you do and how much control you'd like over what you do i guess. i like to have as much control over everything as possible, this is why i'd rather use native live devices only instead of plugins; that way i can control the signalflow completely, including what devices it goes though and what should happen with it.
plugin rarely offer that, and when they do they are usually limited to a fixed number of devices etc (ecxept possibly for things such as karmafx, plogue bidule and similar things).
mbird21 wrote:

150 tracks per layer :O fucking hell what was it a full on orchestra! that must have been mind fucking lol

Btw hope ya dont mind just checked your link to blog on some of your techniques, looks cool mate nice one.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 pm

friend_kami wrote:thanks.
and well, no it wasn't a full blown orchestra. i just did everything from total scratch, and basically each layer did somehting, might have been transients, adding attack, some back ground stuff etc.

but mainly i did everything from total scratch. i don't use plugins so i basically sat down with operator, alot of editing, and alot of sampling around the office ;)

more fun that way :D

not very uncommon for me to sit with well over 100 tracks, and certainly not uncommon to do that, then render it down to a stemgroup and do another set. depends on what you do and how much control you'd like over what you do i guess. i like to have as much control over everything as possible, this is why i'd rather use native live devices only instead of plugins; that way i can control the signalflow completely, including what devices it goes though and what should happen with it.
plugin rarely offer that, and when they do they are usually limited to a fixed number of devices etc (ecxept possibly for things such as karmafx, plogue bidule and similar things).
mbird21 wrote:

Nothing wrong at all with it mate, making something totally your own creation from nothing is something i admire, im just at point now where only samples i use are kicks on tunes, and now starting to make them from start to, i know what you mean to have everything just how you want it without limitations well except my own but thats learning right :).
Alex!