fold to scale

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
majicmonk

fold to scale

Post by majicmonk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:54 pm

I would like an option to fold the clip to a particular scale, so I could more easily draw in notes in a given scale. Currently I have to use the workaround of playing all the notes in a scale and then disable those notes and then hit fold.

For example holding the fold button would bring up a list of scales, such as fold to current notes, C Major, C Melodic Minor, C Dorian, C Phrygian etc etc. And clicking the fold button would activate whatever mode was chosen so that only those notes are visible to draw on.

djod

Re: fold to scale

Post by djod » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:23 am

Damn, hehe I had exact same idea!! So +1000

To add to this idea:
When notes have already recorded to the pianoroll and afterwards you choose a given scale, the notes that are "off scale" would show, but grayed out or color coded (green or yellow).
When you move the notes to the chosen scale the "note lane" (or what ever it called) could disappear from the fold.
It would be super cool if you could add custom scales.

If you could globally fold to scale all (midi) tracks and lock them to markers in arrange and scenes in session that would make it complete.
(If live would have something like Melodyne DNA Direct Note Access, this could also work form audio, (dream on, dream on...))

I would suggest placing a drop-down menu right under the fold button to access the scales.

Custom scales:

To make custom scales right click on the fold button and chose "make custom scale". The fold button turnes green.
A new name e.g. "scale 001" in de drop-down menu. Highlighted so you can right a new name.
To make custom scales you could select notes on the white and black piano keys in the pianoroll
The keys will turn green and repeat up and down the octaves, when your done you click the fold button and it turns back to yellow.
Your custom scale is set.

Another option would be for incoming notes to force to scale.
Even better would be a button next to the metronome that activates global fold to scale, that would be midi mappable so you could do this in realtime.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am

It could get its scale data from the pre-sets for the scale plugin.

more thoughts on this subject here -> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158263
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

majicmonk

Post by majicmonk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:10 pm

@crumhorn

Yeah the scale effect is OK, but its not very flexible. For example if in your selected scale you have E and F#, and you hit an F on the keyboard or draw an F, then if i'm correct it will always revert to the same note (either E or F#) based on whether you've selected move to nearest note upwards or nearest note downwards.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 pm

majicmonk wrote:@crumhorn

Yeah the scale effect is OK, but its not very flexible. For example if in your selected scale you have E and F#, and you hit an F on the keyboard or draw an F, then if i'm correct it will always revert to the same note (either E or F#) based on whether you've selected move to nearest note upwards or nearest note downwards.
I think you misunderstood me. I just think that the fold to scale mechanism that you suggested could use the same preset data as the scale plugin. That way it would save having to define the same scales in two places.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

majicmonk

Post by majicmonk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 pm

oh yeah :)

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Truthfully I'm not even sure I could trust Ableton to use the right scales... They can't even do the minor ones right already.

djod

Post by djod » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:52 am

seattletruth wrote:Truthfully I'm not even sure I could trust Ableton to use the right scales... They can't even do the minor ones right already.

Thats why there should be a user scale feature

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 am

I want to do it manually and not by midi scale effect...

It's easy to hi-light only a specific scale on piano roll, like Studio One already showed first.
I also would like to have some key-board short cut for inserting maj or min chord the quick way.

Hope that this will come one day...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

svankov

Post by svankov » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:53 pm

I've created a simple tool that automatically places "ghost notes" in the selected MIDI clip. You can use one of the 39 included scales or roll your own - http://tetmusic.com/scale_fold_features.html. You can trigger the ghost notes via keyboard shortcut or assigned MIDI, then click the fold button in the MIDI clip to only display those notes.