Audio Clip View 16th Note Loop Length Limit

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Debrecini

Audio Clip View 16th Note Loop Length Limit

Post by Debrecini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Right now the Audio clip loop length is limited to no smaller than 16th note length.

This really dampens any creative possibilities to do roll effects and the likes.
I would like to see much smaller intervals being allowed for DJ style creative FX.

32nd and 64th note intervals would be ideal and if we have triplet grid mode switched on it would also be nice to be able to do all the triplet intervals in between.

Currently the only option is using beat repeat but that's another thing to load into a project and more setting up.
Making what should be a simple task MUCH more complicated than it should be.

Its an awful design oversight and needs fixing for Live 9.

+1 if you agree
Last edited by Debrecini on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoseph

Re: Clip View 16th Note Loop Length Limit

Post by Yoseph » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Nay. You can get into smaller increments by zooming in to the clip, I'm partial to the current implementation. It's a lot easier to work with small note values this way.

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Sorry but your wrong and it just shows that you post without first knowing the facts.

No matter what the zoom setting is Ableton will not allow smaller than 16th note loop lengths for the clip.

This is true when moving the loop start and end brace points with your cursor.
Also true whilst trying to manipulate the loop length numbers in the Sample box (In the bottom left of the screen)
Plus regardless of what global or record quantization value is set and also what grid setting you have selected for the clip.

Please try it out and you'll see and if I'm wrong I'll eat my hat.

EDIT:
I can see why your mistaken because you indeed can move the loop position when you increase the zoom however loop position is not nearly the same as loop length. So my post stands.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 pm

As the style of effect you're looking for (CDJ style) i'd vote if the loop end was delinked from a quantised value below a 16th, it does just become a drone at anything lower however but can then be used to move the loop around to get different textures....

A lower value is indeed impossible with anything including max4live, which appears to be able to set the loop size below but simply jumps to the minimum as if the loop was zero in length and allows nothing in between....

Cheers
D

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Yes I actually agree with you S4racen however 32nd note is useful especially for rolls. But like you say anything lower becomes a drone. So de-linking the quantization of the loop end point would be seriously cool.

Would give the Pioneer CDJ style creative looping ability I'm aiming for. Any DJ who uses CDJ's should naturally agree with this request.

Yoseph

Post by Yoseph » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Whoops. I thought you were talking about note length. You can go into your clip launch settings and adjust it to "repeat" 32nd note quantization. If I'm understanding you correctly, this is almost what you're looking for, right?

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Well not really Yoseph because I'm talking about looping audio and not MIDI clips.

But I guess it's my fault that I didn't make this clear in my first post so I should re-edit that.

Yoseph

Re: Audio Clip View 16th Note Loop Length Limit

Post by Yoseph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 am

I didn't read your post carefully enough. Launch settings work for both audio and midi clips, but like I said it only goes to 32nd notes. Just trying to help, dood.

username652719

Post by username652719 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Could always halve tempo. take what you need, double it, then adjust it back to the proper tempo. Now you have 32nd values of the clip you wanted.

DJ BIS

Post by DJ BIS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 am

Has this been implemented in some way since the OP?

I am here trying to extract cool loops by zooming into a specific area of a sample I like in Arrange view, then reducing the LOOP SIZE to the minimum possible (or any size for that matter) via the Loop/Punch Region Length and by dragging the loop bar in/out points. Then I just slide the loop around until I find an interesting sounding loop.
But the limitation is the size of the loop you can make in the arrange view. I would like to decrease its size more!

Any idea how to go about doing this? I may be approaching it the wrong way?

Thank you.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:06 pm

I think it's not inteded to be used that way because it sounds bad. Clicky, noisy, etc.