One track for multi outs ...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
pulse

One track for multi outs ...

Post by pulse » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:42 am

Hello,

What I would like is :

For one track beeing able to send to different ouputs but at the same time ... meaning being able to send to out1-2 and also out3-4 ..

I had the case during my gig (djing) when a MC use a mic, I have to change the settings for output at each changing of track ... (as I use a tracks hardware mixer) ...

will be helpful to have the possibility to choose muli out in a "and" way and not only "or" way ...

thanks
bye
PHil

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 am

Would either of these work for you?

Have a SEND on the track that is routed to out1/2, then have the RETURN of that send routed to out3/4.

OR

Read up on the routing features in the manual. You can set up a track (say track 2) to monitor the output of track 1. (in track 2's input selector "Audio From" choose track 1). Switch track 2's Monitor button to "ON" Then assign track 2's output to "External Out". Below External Out on track 2, choose out3/4

Voila, Two ways of having the same track outputting on 1/2 and 3/4.

HTH

pulse

Post by pulse » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:38 pm

thanks

but

solution 1 :

I have to duplicate all the effects I want to use for the mic on both tracks

solution 2 :

I tried it but i didnt get sound when using output 3/4 cause it takes sound from 1/2 and that one is down (no sound) ... Clear that I tried it very quickly and maybe I should retry it but I think it doesnt work that way .... (cause I want to use also some effects) ...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:12 am

Phil, I don't think I quite grasp what it is you want to do. Can you please explain a bit more in detail your setup and what you want to achieve?

cheers
paddy

pulse

Post by pulse » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:36 am

okay so I have a concept where I use an external mixer (Pioneer DJM300) and everything is fixed in a flight (all explanations on my last articles about MAO on http://www.hexadance.com then tools then MAO)

So I am just using track1 and track2 of live and dragging songs or part of songs into these 2 tracks ..

For my last gig a girl was singing so I plug the Micro in the audio card (esi) and use the internal effects of ableton

but I had to change each time the settings for output as I am crossfading on the DJM300 ...

Clear that one other solution was maybe to use the MIC input of the DJM300 but it is mono (if I remember good) and I wanted to use stereo effects ...

I quicly tried during the set to create a new track with output link to the second sets of output and the input taken from the initial track but i didnt get sound ... maybe due to the monitoring set to ON ...

didnt have time yet to retry but I think routing will be simplified if we can affect one source to as many outputs as we want ...

bye

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Set your mic channel to 1-2, and your master cue out channel to 3-4. Then go back to your mic channel and click the the cue/headphone icon. Your mic channel will then be sent through channels 1-2 and 3-4. Just be sure to adjust your cue level apporpiately balanced.

Its not perfect....but its a simple workaround.

pulse

Post by pulse » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:42 pm

thanks ! I didnt try that ! should work, I ll try it 2nite ! It is clear that I dont use that function so the routing seems possible ! :D

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Cool! Hope it works out for you. I havent tried it myself in the same situation as you are....but in theory it should work.

But also some of the other suggestions I would think would work out as well like sending the audio from your mic track set to output 1-2 to a return track set to output 3-4. Just make sure its set to POST which is the default setting for return tracks and you will still get the fx from your main live mic input audio track.

You could also just insert a second audio track set to output to 3-4 and set its 'audio from' selection box to 'mic track'. That would also output your mic channel to 3-4 post-fx.

Pretty much the same thing Pitch Black said. No matter where you route your main mic input channel you can still have it post-fx.

So it appears there are at least three ways to work this out...just depends on what works best for you I guess.

Check section 13.7 : Routing and I/O in the manual as Pitch Black suggested.

Good luck.