What new devices would you like most?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

What new devices would you like most?

New Synth - Granular, Additive, Modular etc
22%
Performance Effects Device (ala Stutter Edit etc)
12%
More/better mastering devices
6%
Rompler stuff - Real world instruments
1%
Missing devices - Exciter, de-esser, noise redu, etc
18%
Convolution Reverb
16%
Step Sequencer Instrument (ala Guru, Subboombass)
9%
Something new .. surprise me.
11%
Other, (please expand)
5%

Total votes: 378

condra

Re: What new devices would you like most?

Post by condra » Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Me too. I love the way they're integrated. I only use a handful of plug-ins now.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:I use Lives devices 95% of the time in my music.
I use them excusively, have not activated vst folder in Live 8. Couple of years ago I had
all vsts on the planet.
With Max and plugins from softtube and AAS I dont see the point in VSTs no more.
They could free up much resources from making third party stuff work bug free in Max.
Propellerheads knew this 10 years ago and where right IMO

condra

Post by condra » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 am

I try to use Lives devices as much as possible, though I still rely on plug-ins for some things.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 am

Angstrom wrote:I would like the existing devices to be more modular.

Imagine routing envelopes and LFOs from one Device to another. Run out of LFOs in Operator? just patch in a new one from another instrument.
Run audio from one device to several others and back again. A 9 voice Operator, Analogue with any waveform.

Control the routing from aftertouch, LFO, Envelopes, pitch, etc. Control the filter delay speed by the Sampler modulation dept. Route Operator as the carrier and Sampler as the modulator for the Frequency shifter. Imagine Live as one huge modular.

and no, I do not want to do this in Max
You'll notice on the Propellerheads site, that people are requesting better modularity there, as having to incorporate a new synth in to their "combinator" just so they can have an extra LFO is a really untidy solution.

I like the idea but not sure if that's the correct answer.

+1 for keeping Max OUT of the equation.

niksG

Post by niksG » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:I use Lives devices 95% of the time in my music.
Ohh thats amezing...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Why?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:Why?
why?

because he's the latest in a long line of signature spammers, that's why.
I picture these guys chained to a low spec pc in some chinese workcamp, alternating between WOW goldfarming and posting
I love what you sad thin, now I want to ask you, is the future wotwhile?
on random forums

http://forum.ableton.com/search.php?aut ... 4&sr=posts

modecai

Post by modecai » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

I think I would like a convolution reverb as well. I've been using la convolver since I started with logic express 8 as I didn't have space designer. I'd rather have something that's a native device in live for stability though. I suppose convolution reverb could slow down live, and sort of contradict some of live's performance aspects, but would really augment live as a studio tool.
On the other hand, I would mind some kind of upgrade for my launchpad so it worked even closer with live to control more aspects of it (i know this isn't a new device, and no, I will not be purchasing nativeKONTROL haha).

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm really unconvinced about the benefits of a native Ableton Convolution Reverb.

I can see that native synths are more pleasant to use, with the GUI integrated into the device panel, because we often tweak filter cut-offs, oscillator routings, fine tunings, etc.
But where is the intrinsic benefit of having a set-and-forget item like a convolution-reverb GUI crammed into the tiny device lane?
I cant see that this improves usability over a straight 3rd party offering.

If they improve the reverb I'd prefer that they focused on it being a more creative device than the typical studio convo reverb. Perhaps a creative space designer might give it some real reason for it to be there in the device lane, perhaps it would have fascinating modulation possibilities, perhaps it should posses some creative modular routing. That sort of thing. Something inspiring, unusual and different.
I'd just prefer an interesting and creative spatial simulator, that would be more exciting to me.

Don't repeat what others have done, and cram it into that tiny interface.
You know if they bundle a Convo reverb it will be the same deal as the AAS instruments? They would most likely just strike a deal with someone like Liquidsonics, and will cram the GUI into that tiny space.

Flaws and bugs in these 3rd party add-on implementations can survive for a loooong time.

jeremy.west

Post by jeremy.west » Tue May 17, 2011 1:38 pm

i prefer live music on a gig. it better and professional . it will help me for skills and save me from embarrassment
Hi

condra

Post by condra » Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, Convolution Reverb has finally been taken over by "Missing Devices", while remaining in second place.

So it's fairly clear to, there's an appetite out there for Live to become a more complete DAW solution, at least in terms of the built in devices.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 am

condra wrote:Well, Convolution Reverb has finally been taken over by "Missing Devices", while remaining in second place.
So it's fairly clear to, there's an appetite out there for Live to become a more complete DAW solution, at least in terms of the built in devices.
Yeah,
but 12% of people apparently want a version of stutter-edit.
I thought that stuff died five years ago.

condra

Post by condra » Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 am

Angstrom wrote: .... but 12% of people apparently want a version of stutter-edit.
I see your point but it's not just about the cliché SupaTrigga sound. It's much more than that. It's about being able to perform your effects in real time, as well as having the ability to record your "performance effects" in real time. Personally I think that ties in perfectly with what Live is all about.

I've always been a fan of messing around with Lucifer, Artillary, and Dummy Clips, but I think a native performance effects device would be awesome. - the bastard son of Beat Repeat and Looper perhaps.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 am

condra wrote:
Angstrom wrote: .... but 12% of people apparently want a version of stutter-edit.
I see your point but it's not just about the cliché SupaTrigga sound. It's much more than that. It's about being able to perform your effects in real time, as well as having the ability to record your "performance effects" in real time. Personally I think that ties in perfectly with what Live is all about.

I've always been a fan of messing around with Lucifer, Artillary, and Dummy Clips, but I think a native performance effects device would be awesome. - the bastard son of Beat Repeat and Looper perhaps.
I agree that performance capture, retriggering of recorded chunks, etc. are a cornerstone of what Live is about, but is that best handled by "a device" or by the expansion of Session itself?
Remember : the device lane is very small, it doesn't allow for "stage" visual feedback in the way stutter-edit does.
My point is that users wish for things, Ableton pays attention and often does them, but the implementation is not the optimum. Making devices like VST is not a deep solution.
Look at the looper, that should have extended the Live clip functionality into overlaying and crossfading territory, but instead it is just a device.

Don't wish for devices, wish for features. Wish for deep implementations.

sanosdole

Post by sanosdole » Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Don't wish for devices, wish for features. Wish for deep implementations.
Nice said, but sadly features cannot be described, packed and sold as easy as devices.

Off Topic:
Anybody wants to set up an Issue Tracking system to replace the "Feature Wishlist" Forum, oh and btw. force the product managers to use it :wink: