better time stretch algorithm

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
blinde_q

better time stretch algorithm

Post by blinde_q » Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 am

hi,

it would be good if ableton got new better time stretch algorithm.
look at the one in wavelab or cubase.

its very important to have good a algorithm if your samples are very short ... like kicks etc...

thx
|MacPro|RME FireFace 800|Ableton Live Suite 9.x|Push|APC40|MPK61|Launchpad|Access Virus TI2|

Elevated01

Re: better time stretch algorithm

Post by Elevated01 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

blinde_q wrote:hi,

it would be good if ableton got new better time stretch algorithm.
look at the one in wavelab or cubase.

its very important to have good a algorithm if your samples are very short ... like kicks etc...

thx
Dude,,,, Don't time-stretch your kicks.

966sf

Post by 966sf » Thu May 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Dude... Cubase 6 uses Elastique algorithms. That's what Ableton uses, we just call it the Complex algorithms.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

Elevated01

Post by Elevated01 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm

966sf wrote:Dude... Cubase 6 uses Elastique algorithms. That's what Ableton uses, we just call it the Complex algorithms.
Woah, just looked this up ^^

Seems to be true. The crazy thing is almost all the DAW's seem to be using the same time-stretch technology https://www.zplane.de/index.php?page=de ... -elastique

Menace

Post by Menace » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Sometimes I use Ableton Live 8 for DJ'ing or DJ Mixes.

In my opinion the time stretch algorithm "Complex" and "Complex Pro" sounds bad. I loose lots of dynamics and have less clear sound even when just pitched a track +/- 0.2 BPM.

The warping technique with previous Ableton version was easier and sounded much much better.

I am really not a fan of Elastique Pro.
Macbook Pro 2,16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB - User of Logic Pro 8, Ableton 6, Serato, Stylus RMX etc.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Menace wrote:Sometimes I use Ableton Live 8 for DJ'ing or DJ Mixes.

In my opinion the time stretch algorithm "Complex" and "Complex Pro" sounds bad. I loose lots of dynamics and have less clear sound even when just pitched a track +/- 0.2 BPM.

The warping technique with previous Ableton version was easier and sounded much much better.

I am really not a fan of Elastique Pro.
I mostly agree with you on losing dynamics w complex and complex pro. Complex = really bad!
Complex pro isn't as bad at killing punch, you just have to really get in and play around w the formant settings.
Complex pro is great for transposing and stuff where punch is not needed though.

Turtoll

Post by Turtoll » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm

Please fix this quickly Ableton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Version 8 = Terrible time stretch algorithm, much worse than the version 7. :(