Cracking/Popping-REVERB

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
atopthepyre

Cracking/Popping-REVERB

Post by atopthepyre » Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 am

I still haven't solved this problem and I've posted a few help requests on this as well but haven't heard much back. Whenever I used Ableton Live 8's Reverb effect, I'm getting a horrible cracking/popping noise at the very beginning of any triggered sample/MIDI note.

The cracking is coming from the high end, and the only when to get it to disappear is to cut out the high end completely, which is clearly not the right way to go about it. It goes away very-slightly when I just use a reverb as a send/return, but this again, is a pretty crippled way of working with Ableton.

Some people have told me that it's my sound card/driver, but I'm using CoreAudio on a brand new Macbook Pro, so I would think that would work just fine.

I've messed with every last parameter and can't get the flippin' effect to work with me, so if anyone could throw some suggestions at me or help me out with this problem, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't make tunes until I get this figured out, so the quicker the better.

Thank you. :)

atopthepyre

Re: Cracking/Popping-REVERB

Post by atopthepyre » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:48 am

http://soundcloud.com/atopthepyre/reverbpopping

here's a link to a sound clip of the problem I'm having, Hopefully this will make it more clear for any of you trying to help.

thanks again.

ino-01

Post by ino-01 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm

[quote="atopthepyre"]Some people have told me that it's my sound card/driver, but I'm using CoreAudio on a brand new Macbook Pro, so I would think that would work just fine.

I had a similar problem, because any program (or vst?) switched the soundcard from 24bit to 16bit.
I solved it by changing the bit-rate in the "Audio-MIDI-Setup" back to 24bit. :)

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Is the Macbook the master or are you running an external clock?
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

dietarypacifist

Post by dietarypacifist » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 pm

just throwing an idea out here but what is your audio buffer set to?

it works best when set to numbers like 128, 256, 512, 1024 samples, etc.

the larger the number the more stuff your processor can handle and still put out an uninterupted sound (ie. cracking and popping sounds) (reverb can increase the load on your cpu drastically especially if you are already using a ton of instruments and effects)

i'd recommend setting it to 256 samples first and see if that helps. increase it to 512 samples if 256 helps but doesn't solve it completely, so on and so forth.

keep in mind that the larger you make the buffer, the more latency you will have so it will be harder (sometimes impossible) to record audio or midi in time with a song. the simple work around to this is to record/compose your song without effects using a small audio buffer and when you get all your tracks recorded and arranged, increase your buffer size so your processor can handle the effects and then go at it.

you'll find the audio buffer setting in the preferences window under the audio tab (i think, forgive me if im wrong. im not currently sitting in front of ableton).

again, just throwing an idea out there. I don't know what you've tried so far but this is the first thing that came to my mind.

Post by 102455 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah - I wish they'd add a cracking and popping reverb as a feature too.

:roll: :?