Event smoother for knobs in Live

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
akm

Event smoother for knobs in Live

Post by akm » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:13 pm

When I turn, say, a filter knob, mapped to a midi controller i can hear an unwanted "steps" in sound because of a nature of a common 128 steps of this controller. Same when I do it with a mouse. I'd like to see kind of event smoother for all the Live's knobs. It can be set in global preferences or individually for each knob. You can find such thing in the NI Reaktor. It makes a delay after you move a knob, and during this time parameter (a knob or a slider) achieves the desired point SMOOTHLY, without "steps". You can even set the smoothing time from 1 millisecond to several thousands. It will be great to have a "global" smoothing time in the preferences and independant for all controllers.

BTW, in the manual they say:
"Live also supports pitch bend messages and high-precision controller messages with a 0...16383value range. The above specifications apply to pitch bend and high-precision controllers as well,except that the value range's center is at 8191/8192."
- can you tell me the exact models of such controllers? (Behringer have couple of such devices, just found it out...)

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:19 pm

Repeat after me: MIDI is crap. MIDI is crap. MIDI is crap.

;)

Anyways, yes, you can do 14 bit controllers with MIDI but it's a pain in the arse. Read up on NRPNs (no, I've never bothered to do it).

-Paws