Enhancement request of the year (So far)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
brettonwoodsapocalypse

Enhancement request of the year (So far)

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I have Tried to compile the most popular request in one doc. Yes, there's no MP3 support before you ask !
It seems than more and more users are using Live as a traditionnal sequencer as much as a gig software so most of these request are heading towards that direction, keeping in mind that almost everyone seems to like the simplicty of Live GUI.
Any comments welcome !

- Right-click support (at least basic functions like copy and paste)
- Notepad in Live, maybe in the help area, could be contextual
- Marker tracks to jump to specific parts of a project
- List of last projects opened in file menu
- Drag and drop of midi files (i.e. Stylus RMX)
- Freeze virtual instruments by dropping the clip in an audio channel
- PDC
- Independent tempo for clips, not only locked to master
- More elaborate midi chord plug
- Arpeggiator
- OSC Support
- Curve drawing tool for envelopes/automation
- Facilitating copy/paste between 2 LIVE projects
- "Ghost clips" to affect more than one clip
- Better pitch quality (i.e. Melodyne)

glenclayton

What About?

Post by glenclayton » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:57 pm

Drum Maps?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:19 pm

a few you missed:
  1. Session Track visibility groups - with show and hide on a hot key.
  2. Session Track adjustable width (or a zoom)
  3. Multiple sessions in one version of Live
  4. VSTi midi out (for arpegiators and phrase synths)

not bad though

waxxhopper

Post by waxxhopper » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:20 am

Multi-track Rendering

For those of us that use other multi-track wav editors/mixers to finalize & master our tracks to a pro level of quality the tedious task of rendering each track to it's own file is rediculous and unneccessary.

Again I add that if live could even generate an Adobe Audition file that would allow me to open the project up and start working quicker, this would save lots of time. [/b]
House of Waxxhopper

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:44 am

- GROOVE QUANTIZE

please

groov_in

Post by groov_in » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:10 am

Very important - Send MIDI clock over multiple out ports.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:41 am

Altivec support

Dual CPU support

Better MIDI editing

Key commands for showing and hiding all the windows, (think about being able to hide everything but the MIDI piano roll window with a key command instead of manually dragging each part around!)
The ability to open at least two Live windows at once.
OK so fundamentally that would bring Live into the multi window world, but I'm sorry man, this is one area where I'm not into Live at all! It's really nice to be able to see as well as hear the different MIDI parts like bass and drum parts etc.

The GUI of Live is so simple and straightforward, I'm betting it wouldn't be a big stretch to allow us end users to choose the three colors that the skins change ourselves. The choices they have are terrible IMO, either too bright and office like, or too extreme and unreadable.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:09 am

The ability to open at least two Live windows at once.
I think there is still space at the top of the gui in Session above the track names and beneath the arrangement mini-view to use tabs.
Alternatively, the Browser really needs a re-vamp, mulitple active sessions could go in there. NI's new look browser is good (like guitar rig)

2 more hot ones though:

* Record Effects tweaks into a session clip - essential !
* clips for Effects return tracks - also seems a glaring ommision.

Sharkcellar

Post by Sharkcellar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:43 am

I want that notepad too. VERY MUCH!!!
Live 8.1.3

Wintel: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.83 GHZ, 4GB RAM, Win7 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, Audiophile 2496,

Peripherals: Wacom Intuos3 6x8

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:49 am

Sharkcellar wrote:I want that notepad too. VERY MUCH!!!
This method will not allow you to put a note on anything you want. But i got all relevant info (to me) stored in a template lesson with pictures.
You can't even write the note's in Live 4 itself.
But you can do it in a simple text editor. Because in the end, that's what it's made for.

How to keep note's :

Make a new folder and give it any name you want . Inside that folder you make another folder with the same name as the Live project you wish to keep note's on. And add "Lessons" to the end. Like this:
"My project Lessons".

Now either put your Live .als file in the first folder. Or make a copy of it and put it there. Including samples if the set was self-contained.

Make an empty .txt file in the "my project Lessons" folder. Save it as "LessonsEN.txt"

Now if you go back to the previous folder and double click on your Live set. When it starts up you will have an empty sheet on the right. You can hide it by going to the menu "view" and choose lesson.

Editing the .txt file :

This uses simple syntax
To make a page with a title. Type: "$Page your title here"
To display something in bold, you type it like this: /this will be bold/
Every time you save the .txt file and go back to Live, the info will be updated. You do not need to save anything to that Live set. This is a non-destructive method. If you wish to remove the lesson. just delete the "My project Lessons" folder with the text file in it.

If you want to include picture's. You will have to save them as .tif file's. And they have to be ibm (intel) encoded.
On mac you can convert any picture with the included app called "graphic converter"
On windows there shouldn't be any problems neither, figuring it's a windows format.

To include these picture's in your set. First throw them in the "my project Lessons" folder.
If you go back to your .txt file and type the name (example: figure1.tif) and save it. It will show up in your Lesson view.

Cheers

conny

Post by conny » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:25 pm

Lazy, but link to my collected wishlist:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15178

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:18 pm

Here's my mostly redundant list:

1- Freeze arrangement tracks for mixing.

2-Batch export- Multitrack rendering (kind of goes with 1).

3-Save Track (all clip+instrument+efffects+track settings within a vertical track column with drag & drop from browser to any Live Set)

-or-

A totally hierarchical-extractable Live Set file you can "dig into" from the browser, pulling out anything from an individual clip, to a whole track (see above), to the entire Live set itself and drag into another Live Set (in realtime of course).

4- MIDI out from plug-ins.

5-Flexible groove quantize able to extract groove from midi/audio file.

6-Clock (hh:mm:ss:ff) in session and arrangement view (not just bars & beats).

7-Better Mac performance.

Sharkcellar

Post by Sharkcellar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:39 pm

hoffman2k,

That's a great, if a bit convoluted, workaround thanks. Let's hope Ableton institutes a more elegant and simple version.
Live 8.1.3

Wintel: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.83 GHZ, 4GB RAM, Win7 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, Audiophile 2496,

Peripherals: Wacom Intuos3 6x8

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:31 pm

tabs at the top would be the best idea for having mulitiple sessions open at once. then we just a need a way to crossfade between the sessions. some kind of master crossfader at the top or bottom. each tab will have an A and B and u can crossfade between them.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

sgingras

Post by sgingras » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:55 pm

-Being able to see the repeated waveform when you're working with an unlinked clip (I know there are issues with this but still....)

-YES, oh god yes on the batch export/multi-track rendering!

There is so much stuff that is simple and obvious here you would think that it would have been included in Live 1 beta: right click support, Notepad, saving tracks separately for easier importing into new sets.

-it would be awesome if live could include it's own internal universal audio capture program (like Wire tap) that isn't related to the play/stop button. It would be neat to be able to resample all my actions INCLUDING play/stop for later use. (I find wire tap a pain in the arse).

ahhh......so many frivolous features, so little time!