Stop on transport to stop audio! Who wouldn't want this?!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
sach160

Stop on transport to stop audio! Who wouldn't want this?!

Post by sach160 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 am

When you press stop, audio on some vst instruments continues which I find pretty annoying. In fact I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't find this annoying. Here's a quick chat with Ableton support on the issue (these guys are awesome - note the detailed explanation rather than simply saying "this is by design not a bug") - if you'd like this feature (or disagree) please add to this thread, cheers!

>Hi,
>
>Quick question on live - I find that with a number of vsts like
>omnisphere and kontakt if you record the sustain pedal in a part, and
>then press play, if you stop the part mid way through when the sustain
>is on in the envelope, the sustain keeps on going on the last note and
>the audio continues. If you hit the stop button on the transport three
>times the audio stops but the playback marker goes to the start too.
>It's quite disruptive to my workflow to have to do this every time l
>want to stop the audio. Can you suggest a way around it? Why does
>stopping the transport not stop the audio? Is this a bug for which I
>can request a fix?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Sachin

Hi Sachin,

the phenomenon you describe is not a bug, but regular behavior.

First part of the story: MIDI sustain pedal data (CC64) works rather simply. The pedal or the envelope sends a message to whatever sound generating device (hardware or plug-in) to activate the hold/sustain function. Now, all incoming notes are held/sustained. Later, when the pedal is released or the envelope falls to 0 again, there is a message sent out to de-activate the hold/sutain function again. There's no way for the sound device to see if the pedal is actually pressed over an amount of time while playback is running - it basically just knows the both commands "activate hold/sustain" and "deactivate it".
Now, when you stop a MIDI clip soon after the envelope has enabled the hold/sustain, the sound generating device will never get the disable hold/sustain command again - and the notes will be held and keep on sounding. You can stop this at this point by sending that message intentionally, e.g. by pressing and releasing your hold pedal now or by editing an envelope breakpoint so the message is sent.

Second part: When Live's global stop is pressed once, it just stops the playback immediately. When hit a second time, we do some reset actions: the playback is set to 1.1.1 again - and a MIDI CC 123 (All notes off) is sent out, that causes all still sounding devices to release their notes.

In your case, I agree, this might be a bit annoying. In the end, however, this is not a bug to be fixed, but more like a feature wish: you'd want to be able to trigger a command that immediately terminates all still active hold pedal situations.
Regards,

Torsten Wendland
Ableton Technical Support

sach160

Re: Stop on transport to stop audio! Who wouldn't want this?!

Post by sach160 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Wow - I'm surprised I'm the only one interested in this. Am I missing something here? How do you guys not get annoyed by this?