Reverse Sample for Drum Rack

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sadfay

Reverse Sample for Drum Rack

Post by sadfay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

I know the Sampler can reverse samples, but it'd be so handy if the drum rack did it too.

Please. Please. Please. Please.

Cheers!

leopard1906

Re: Reverse Sample for Drum Rack

Post by leopard1906 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:22 pm

What is a drumrack but a midi router?

Inside a drumsrack there is always an instrument for each slot. And this could be an instance of sampler or simpler (which you can convert to sampler via the context menue).

So, already implemented.

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Nah, that's not what I mean.

OK I can put a sampler inside a drum rack, that's pretty cool.

But all my audio files are in the drum rack already, so for me to reverse one, I need to play it, record it into a resample track, reverse that new recording, then drag that reversed sample onto a free drum rack slot.
Whether I use the sampler or not, I have to get the audio out of the drum rack first, which is why I'd love a simple "reverse" button in the drum rack.

leopard1906

Post by leopard1906 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

sadfay wrote:Whether I use the sampler or not, I have to get the audio out of the drum rack first, which is why I'd love a simple "reverse" button in the drum rack.
No, you don't!
Whenever you drop a sample into a drum rack it does nothing else than creating an instance of simpler containing the specific audio file. DRUMRACK is not an instrument itself, it only can hold other instruments.

As I said, in the context menue of the SIMPLER you can convert this instance to SAMPLER and there you have your reverse button.

EVEN BETTER: You can save a SAMPLER preset as the default instrument to create when dropping a sample into a drumrack.
Simply save one sampler preset in the following folder: library/defaults/dropping samples/on drum rack/

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 am

hey Leopard1906,

After spending about half an hour reading the manual, I just noticed this from the Simpler menu:

Simpler ---> Sampler

And hey presto. I have my reverse button!! :mrgreen:

This also means at anytime I can give my individual slices the more complex loop playback options on the Sampler, with one or two mouse clicks.
This is pretty bloody excellent!! God I love Ableton!! There are so many things in there that I would never have expected, so much detail and so much versatility under the bonnet, it's mental. ... And very nice.
Me a happy boy again.

Thanks for the help. :mrgreen:

o0timbo0o

Post by o0timbo0o » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 am

interesting , that works for samples , but what about midi instruments?. I have a snare drum i would like to reverse. Only way i can see to reverse it is to sample it to an audio channel , cut and chop around with the waveform and drop that back into the drum rack.

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 pm

o0timbo0o Yes, this is how I do it: cmd + t for new audio track, change input to resampling, solo the track with your drum hits, hit record, hit your drum hits.

Unless your drum hits are in a drum rack / sampler, you'll have to resample them, so you can drop them in and access those sampling features.

treywillis

Post by treywillis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 pm

sadfay wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 am

Simpler ---> Sampler

dude! I had no idea. I had the exact same question for the same reason. this is huge. thank you!

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 am

And then 9.7 came along, and you can still do Simpler --> Sampler, but you can also reverse samples without the need to do that and you have many more ways to trigger, warp and edit a sample within the drum rack. Quite nice.

orbita

Post by orbita » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm

reverse still not available in push2 though :-(

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm

orbita wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm
reverse still not available in push2 though :-(
Yes it is, in Simpler. Just open Simpler's banks and it'll appear.
Ableton Forum Moderator

orbita

Post by orbita » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm

oh sorry you are right - i was thinking of audio clips where reverse is not available.