MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
One Reason
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:04 pm

MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by One Reason » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Better plugin organization - Many plugins do not read presets correctly when re-organized into other folder, being able to sort plugins and Vsts in my OWN folders would be a god send. Sonar accomplishes this by having a user created hierarchy that is driven only by shortcuts folders instead of moving the folders themselves..... Simple.

2 - What ALL DAWS need... an internal plugin that lets you drag and drop any chosen (from a list\dialog) midi chord onto the track to quickly and easily build chord progressions. The plugin would also preview the list of chords via GM midi.

3. - a native plugin that reads ahead and identifies what chords are being played, either in audio form, so that instead of trying to figure out every damn chord we hear.. we have a visual record of it. (real-time preferred)

4 - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE improve the graphics, a GUI can be graphically pleasing, and still be streamlined.. LIVE kills me with its flat, dull, monotonous GUI. If not... a built in skin\color editor would be.. something.

5 - 64 bit (of course)

6 - Dual monitor support, being able to separate elements of the DAW, not just the two view.

7 - Separate, FULL mixer.

8 - a massively improved Piano roll, with randomization, re-riffing, Strumming etc a la FL 10.

9 - Better navigation, vertical resizing.

10 - CUTTING TOOL, right click split seems SO medieval .. more and better tools.

11 - being able to put the browser and track controls on opposite sides.. after years I cant get used to having my track controls on the right.

12 - A virtual keyboard.

13. - A scale tool that once a scale is chosen from a list displays what keys can be played on a keyboard. (Guitar Pro)

14 - A user crash report that tells US.. what plugin, or combination of plugins crashed LIVE. PLEAAAAASE!

15 - STABILITY STABILITY STABILITY. Live is easily the least stable Major DAW on the Market... IMO.

Thanks! and I hope I'm not being too visionary :mrgreen:

sacredgeometry
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by sacredgeometry » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Aside from 64bit a lot of these listed are exactly why I use live over say cubase or logic.

1. You can fix this yourself, its less to do with live and more to do with there not being a standardised way to do this.

2. you can also do this just create midiclips organise and label them stick them in one of your quick folders and drag and drop to your liking. (not that you would need to they offer a device called chords for this very reason.)

3. What? Just learn some basic music theory and ear training.

4. The graphics are fine and functional, again another reason i detest the toy-ish feel of most other days. There have been colour editors around for years, pick one up and make your own theme.

5. Yes its a must these days.

6. Again, use another daw the all inclusive GUI is much faster across all systems once you know the shortcuts.

7. same as above. (press tab)

8. Get M4L these tools are available other than that Live still has the best piano roll out there IMHO.

9. you can do this already.

10. ctrl/CMD+e ( I have a feeling you just need to be more aquatinted with Live to solve alot of your issues with it) Again another reason i love live, The fact that everything is accessible though the main cursor, once you get to know it it makes the tool system of the older DAWs feel ugly and antiquated.

11. Fair enough, i really cant see what the problem is...you seriously cant get used to looking on the left? I use logic all the time which has the browser on the right and never have an issue. I would suggest maybe just trying to get used to it or live in hope that they think its important enough to clog their software up with.

12. There is one

13. Guitar pro is a tool for learning music, live is a tool for making music. If you really want one there are plenty of third part tools available even M4L ones.

14. Great idea, not sure the use as most crashes I have come up against have been after doing things so I can identify what caused it generally.

15. THIS! Definitely not the least stable DAW but definitely nowhere near good enough in 8 for reliable live for a lot of people ( my self not included (i use a MBP so i'm assuming its one of the machines they test on) ), I know too many people with issues.
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Lumix
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by Lumix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 am

hmm dual monitor support really!
keep everything in one windows rocks!
x64!
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:08 am

Get M4L is not answer at all. Then get C++. You got most powerful piano roll on the earth.
Image

sacredgeometry
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by sacredgeometry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Get M4L is not answer at all. Then get C++. You got most powerful piano roll on the earth.
Not sure I understood this, but a lot of additional piano roll features can be easily integrated and added to ableton with m4l indeed a lot of the things he asked for have been already. What good is c++? In live unless you are going to write VSTs ableton live doesn't allow you to do anything with c++...the external api is in python as far as I know and the internal access is all though M4L.

I do agree though, Live has the nicest piano roll out of any of them, its faster to work with and perfect the way it is.
Peace + Hugs

Brian

One Reason
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by One Reason » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:03 am

sacredgeometry , Nothing you said helped me in anyway whatsoever.

I didn't post these requests so that someone could come along and debate the points, these are things I would like to see implemented, If I wanted to go alternate routes, I wouldn't have suggested\requested the features to begin with.

1. No, not all plugins can be reorganized, and even if they could, why would I want to move them into different directories? perhaps you don't know much about the way other daws methods to organize plugin lists. Do some research.

2. I don't know every chord imaginable, I don't know how to play an AfreakingSus4, again that's why I requested the feature. A tool, to make my job easier. A selling point.. for LIVE. To be able to click\choose a chord, choose amount of bars \ beats, and insert. Why wouldn't anyone want that? We aren't all pianist's.

3. Learn a little music theory, or ear training? You must be kidding, apparently you didn't understand the feature request. I suppose you can, in real-time, listen to a song and tell me as your listening, exactly which chords are being played.. in progression? No amount of basic music theory or ear training is going to make my brain into a chord recognition machine...or yours. Even if this was possible, If this was how I wanted to recognize chords, I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED for the feature. :roll:

4. The Graphics are fine, and functional for YOU.... not me.. that's why I asked for better graphics. I made (thru the free editor) my own schemes, years ago. It still lacks in graphic appeal. Anyone who knows jack about graphics, or has any taste whatsoever will tell you LIVE's UI is bland and visually not stimulating to work in. Simple.. yes.. easy to work in yes, Looks good? fuck no. I design UI by trade, I know a bit about it. http://www.maxstyles.com The most common complaint I hear about Live is... it looks like crap. AGAIN.. its a request because... I... am not happy with it. You opnion on this matter is moot.. to me.

5. Yeah

6. I dont use shortcuts, your answer is useless. I do 99% of everything with a mouse.. not everyone uses shortcuts. Again.. that's why i made the request.

7. Same as above.

8. I have M4L, I dont like it, I find it cumbersome, loads slowly, and Live crashes more, while using it. I'd like more control within LIVE's Piano roll, not what you think is right for me.

9. Not without using the keyboard you cant. Thats why I asked.. :wink:

10. I don't use keystrokes, that's why I asked for the feature :wink:

11. If I could get used to it, I wouldn't have asked.

12. I said virtual keyboard, not Piano roll. There isn't a floating horizontal keyboard, a la Reason, that u can instantly popup, and play with ur mouse, for any plugin. Playing a keyboard is hard enough already without having to play it vertically. :roll:

13. Rubbish, I make most of my music in guitar pro, apparently you need to do some research on something you give advice about .. I dont want to run a third party tool, or I wouldn't have asked for this.. I would like to see it (one feature of GP)... in LIVE.

14. Thanks.

15. Again... in MY experience, having spent a considerable amount of time in all the major DAWS, Live is by far the least stable.... in my.. experience.


You remind me of the guy, there's one on every forum for every subject, who when someone has a problem, Their stock answer is.. "Its working fine for me !"

Try to think outside the box a little, not everyone who uses Live.. uses it.. like you do. :idea:

I have been using it, btw, since version 5. :wink:

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 am

sacredgeometry wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:Get M4L is not answer at all. Then get C++. You got most powerful piano roll on the earth.
Not sure I understood this, but a lot of additional piano roll features can be easily integrated and added to ableton with m4l indeed a lot of the things he asked for have been already. What good is c++? In live unless you are going to write VSTs ableton live doesn't allow you to do anything with c++...the external api is in python as far as I know and the internal access is all though M4L.

I do agree though, Live has the nicest piano roll out of any of them, its faster to work with and perfect the way it is.
Live's pianoroll is worst ever. Try to learn other daw's. You couldn't come back.
Image

Steo
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Moon
Contact:

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by Steo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:27 am

Add OSC and I'm in :)

And OSC custom mapping of cours !!

((steo))

sacredgeometry
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by sacredgeometry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:09 am

pencilrocket wrote:
sacredgeometry wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:Get M4L is not answer at all. Then get C++. You got most powerful piano roll on the earth.
Not sure I understood this, but a lot of additional piano roll features can be easily integrated and added to ableton with m4l indeed a lot of the things he asked for have been already. What good is c++? In live unless you are going to write VSTs ableton live doesn't allow you to do anything with c++...the external api is in python as far as I know and the internal access is all though M4L.

I do agree though, Live has the nicest piano roll out of any of them, its faster to work with and perfect the way it is.
Live's pianoroll is worst ever. Try to learn other daw's. You couldn't come back.
I have written and recorded tutorials (and taught) for nearly every DAW out there. Lives is my favourite. None of the others compare once you know how to use lives properly
Peace + Hugs

Brian

sacredgeometry
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 am

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by sacredgeometry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 am

sacredgeometry , Nothing you said helped me in anyway whatsoever.

I didn't post these requests so that someone could come along and debate the points, these are things I would like to see implemented, If I wanted to go alternate routes, I wouldn't have suggested\requested the features to begin with.

1. No, not all plugins can be reorganized, and even if they could, why would I want to move them into different directories? perhaps you don't know much about the way other daws methods to organize plugin lists. Do some research.

Haha bold assumption again, but yes lives vst handling isnt perfect but then aside from cubase, no other DAWs is.

2. I don't know every chord imaginable, I don't know how to play an AfreakingSus4, again that's why I requested the feature. A tool, to make my job easier. A selling point.. for LIVE. To be able to click\choose a chord, choose amount of bars \ beats, and insert. Why wouldn't anyone want that? We aren't all pianist's.

As I have said there is a chord & scale tool in live already with numerous chord/scale packs available.

3. Learn a little music theory, or ear training? You must be kidding, apparently you didn't understand the feature request. I suppose you can, in real-time, listen to a song and tell me as your listening, exactly which chords are being played.. in progression? No amount of basic music theory or ear training is going to make my brain into a chord recognition machine...or yours. Even if this was possible, If this was how I wanted to recognize chords, I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED for the feature. :roll:

Umm thats exactly what ear training does, if you can hear chords properly most of the time its pretty easy to pick out a progression and the individual notes in real time. its faster and more reliable than asking a computer to do it and your music would benefit. No you are not a pianist but i assume you are a musician, yes?

4. The Graphics are fine, and functional for YOU.... not me.. that's why I asked for better graphics. I made (thru the free editor) my own schemes, years ago. It still lacks in graphic appeal. Anyone who knows jack about graphics, or has any taste whatsoever will tell you LIVE's UI is bland and visually not stimulating to work in. Simple.. yes.. easy to work in yes, Looks good? fuck no. I design UI by trade, I know a bit about it. http://www.maxstyles.com The most common complaint I hear about Live is... it looks like crap. AGAIN.. its a request because... I... am not happy with it. You opnion on this matter is moot.. to me.

I do graphic design :P and yes its fine for me, and as its a subjective choice that in no way inhibits its use for the majority of its users...why did you think it was pertinent to ask?

5. Yeah

6. I dont use shortcuts, your answer is useless. I do 99% of everything with a mouse.. not everyone uses shortcuts. Again.. that's why i made the request.

Then pick another daw, the work flow in live is hugely dependent on learning shortcuts, infact all the software i have ever used. Shortcut keys improve workflow...unless you only have the use of one hand then I would strongly recommend rethinking that as you are the only one that is suffering for that.

7. Same as above.

same as above

8. I have M4L, I dont like it, I find it cumbersome, loads slowly, and Live crashes more, while using it. I'd like more control within LIVE's Piano roll, not what you think is right for me.

:P alot of the crashing has been solved recently but yes it is slower than compiled code and always will be. If you took the time to learn the software a lot of the issues you have would be lessened

9. Not without using the keyboard you cant. Thats why I asked.. :wink:

10. I don't use keystrokes, that's why I asked for the feature :wink:

11. If I could get used to it, I wouldn't have asked.

12. I said virtual keyboard, not Piano roll. There isn't a floating horizontal keyboard, a la Reason, that u can instantly popup, and play with ur mouse, for any plugin. Playing a keyboard is hard enough already without having to play it vertically. :roll:

i meant the qwertty keys are used as a one octave keyboard :P you can use preview and then even use the arrow keys to dial in the notes you are currently playing on either a the qwerrty keyboard or a midi keyboard.

13. Rubbish, I make most of my music in guitar pro, apparently you need to do some research on something you give advice about .. I dont want to run a third party tool, or I wouldn't have asked for this.. I would like to see it (one feature of GP)... in LIVE.

If you learned grade 1 music theory a scale chart would do just this :P you only need to know the major scale in c ...so all the white notes to use scale charts and chord charts. I have been using guitar pro since release ... its not a tool for production its a tool for writing and reading music. Sorry if you didnt understand what i meant so to clarify, i meant production.

14. Thanks.

15. Again... in MY experience, having spent a considerable amount of time in all the major DAWS, Live is by far the least stable.... in my.. experience.


You remind me of the guy, there's one on every forum for every subject, who when someone has a problem, Their stock answer is.. "Its working fine for me !"

Try to think outside the box a little, not everyone who uses Live.. uses it.. like you do. :idea:

I have been using it, btw, since version 5. :wink:

I know they dont I teach people all sorts of software and the best way to use it is to get into the character of it not try to bend it towards you. Feature requests generally work best when they add features not try to bend the way a program works at its core ethos.

The point was that i have seen lots of people with similar issues, i have coached hundreds and most of them after spending time adjusting benefit. Its the best way to work because tools wont be around forever and being able to adapt to them is the healthiest and most productive way to be.

Ive been using it since version 4 btw although not heavily till version 6
Peace + Hugs

Brian

One Reason
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by One Reason » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Some of us don't have the time to learn music theory, ear training, etc etc.

That's why I asked for the features.

Fail to see what is so hard to understand about that.

if I wanted to do all this shit myself, I wouldnt need to shell out a fucking fortune for an app that does it for me.

I mean, why not write my own DAW as well?

FFS.

DJMattrix
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by DJMattrix » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 am

One Reason wrote:Some of us don't have the time to learn music theory, ear training, etc etc.

That's why I asked for the features.

Fail to see what is so hard to understand about that.

if I wanted to do all this shit myself, I wouldnt need to shell out a fucking fortune for an app that does it for me.
With all due respect, i would suggest you take a moment to stop being rude, actually read sacredgeometry's replies rather than just dismissing everything that was said, and consider the fact that Ableton's development team are not employed with the sole mission of saving you the effort of working anything out for yourself.

I love Live and in my opinion, it is much faster and easier to use than any other DAW. I disagree that it is not easy on the eye, quite the contrary, it's clean, consistent and it's doesn't get in the way of your workflow by filling the screen with a million horrendous 3d buttons and windows (ala Cubase, Fruity...) I'm here to make music and have fun with sound, not admire it like a piece of art :) I agree however that it would be nice to be able to view session and arrangement views at the same time on two monitors.

To complain that the workflow is too slow and then declare that you don't use shortcuts is like saying that you bought a ferrari but you object to having to press the accelerator pedal to make it go faster. Take a couple of minutes to look at a list of keyboard shortcuts. Pick two or three that you think would save you the most effort based on how you like to work with the software. You'll not regret it. For me this is stuff like control E to split a clip, and to double the length of a clip, clicking the loop marker, control shift D to duplicate time and control up to double the loop length (apologies if I've not quite got this right, I'm not at my computer and I dont even think about what keys I'm pressing any more, my fingers just do it of their own accord!)
One Reason wrote:I mean why not write my own DAW as well? FFS.
Yes, why not? Why the attitude? If you're unhappy with the way Live works, don't use it. Try another DAW or write your own. You'll soon realise the sheer brilliance of what the Live team have built. That's what I love about the M4L concept... Everyone is going to use a creative tool differently, so if it doesn't work for you and the way you work, look at the problem and build something that fits your needs. Think outside the box indeed. And yes, it's complex, but all the best things in life are :)

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Although sacredgeometry was probably trying to help, and he made some suggestions that are feasible, it did come off as debating and almost patronizing. I definitely see why One Reason's 'attitude' is justified.

This is a feature wishlist thread, and people are free to request whatever they wish. If I want request that Live leave me chocolate eggs in the night, I'm free to do so, and all are free to debate it's necessity. However if there is any etiquette at all here, all those debating One Reason's wishes should either re-evaluate their verbage and be helpful, or bug off. :)

DJMattrix
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by DJMattrix » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:27 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:This is a feature wishlist thread, and people are free to request whatever they wish. If I want request that Live leave me chocolate eggs in the night, I'm free to do so, and all are free to debate it's necessity. However if there is any etiquette at all here, all those debating One Reason's wishes should either re-evaluate their verbage and be helpful, or bug off. :)
I didn't mean to imply that One Reason should not have suggested the features. Of course, that's the whole purpose of this thread and it's a great way of giving feedback to the developers. I just feel that we should be careful with the way we word such requests because they are just that, a method of providing constructive ideas to the developers and giving them a perspective on how you want to use the tools. We shouldn't assume that any ideas we have as users are correct, well thought through or suitable for the majority of users, or that we have enough knowledge to demand features rather than suggest them.

Having read my post back, it was perhaps more strongly worded than I intended. All I'm saying is that if you're faced with a problem, you'd be much better off sitting back and thinking "how can I best solve this problem with the tools I have and a bit of lateral thinking" rather than simply assuming that there is an issue with the software. Sacredgeometry spent time providing some useful solutions and One Reason dismissed them without any thanks. Saying "I dont use shortcuts, your answer is useless." is not a constructive response when somebody is trying to help you.

That aside, there were some good ideas in this thread and whilst learning music theory may well eliminate the need for them for skilled musicians, features that can simplify certain tasks are no less valid when it comes to speeding up the workflow etc.

Angstrom
Posts: 14668
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: MY... LIVE 9 Wishlist

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:55 am

One Reason wrote: 2. I don't know every chord imaginable, I don't know how to play an AfreakingSus4,
How would any person who doesn't understand chord construction know how to pick them from a list?
The idea that you can avoid learning how to make music is fine, but once you start trying to interact with the concepts you haven't learned then worlds collide.

It's false economy to avoid learning the basics of your craft.
You can't automate Kung Fu.
This is your musical Kung Fu, do you really have no time to learn it?
You want StreetFighter to do it for you?

Sus 4 chords are really quite common and damn easy to construct and play. The fourth note for a particular key only a second to figure out, if you forgot the scale you can work that out too.
I bet it would take me far longer to open up some browser window and go scrolling down looking for it.

Post Reply