MP3 Import!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Graysun

MP3 Import!!!

Post by Graysun » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:00 pm

Live should be able to import audio files other than WAV and AIFF, most notably MP3. All functionality - warp marking, time stretching, looping, BPM, etc. should apply.

Support formats such as MP3, AAC, Ogg, FLAC, etc. Import and Export. Compressed file formats are a must.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:54 pm

Quick run, they are coming, the lynch mob!! ... quickly behind this bush!!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:48 am

yea lets get some mp3 support in there so the CPU level will go up while Live decodes the mp3 from its compressed format. then we can all bitch about something else. :roll:

the other options are get a bigger HD or learn how to cut your stuff up and put it back together with follow actions.

-MIKE-

Post by -MIKE- » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:34 pm

While I don't agree with the flogging people seem to enjoy handing out in this forum, I understand some of the frustration behind it.

Yes, Live could support mp3 and other compressed files, but it's kind of like asking for a cup holder on a Formula 1 race car. :-)

Live is a professional audio program that handles the highest quality audio, matching any other professional DAW available, and people are asking them to be iTunes.

There are literally dozens of free downloadable audio file conversion apps that do a great job.

I'm always suspect of those who want to use mp3s with Live, as to the legality of their source material. :-)

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:09 pm

-MIKE- wrote:
I'm always suspect of those who want to use mp3s with Live, as to the legality of their source material. :-)
Just to add a tiny bit of validity to the legitimacy of the source of mp3s. :wink:

I use my Iriver to sample and save it as very high rate mp3. I like this because my Iriver and Sony Mic fit in my coat pocket and take up no more room than my sunglasses. It saves some space on the recorder so I can record hours. I do convert to wav when I dump it down to my desktop though.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

-MIKE-

Post by -MIKE- » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:55 pm

Yes, that's cool. It would be the same as me recording a rehearsal on minidisc, etc. There are legit sources of mp3s, but there are infinitesimally more illegal sources, as we all know. :-)

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

Graysun

MP3 - a DJ feature

Post by Graysun » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:32 pm

Before i invite a flogging, my request for MP3 import is not for the purposes of audio recording - of course aiff and wav are what you want when recording a master.

But for DJ purposes - where you'd like to access potentially 1000s of songs, import them, set warp markers, etc for a live set (excuse the pun) - it would be lovely to be able to work with compressed files (MP3s) like you do in software such as Traktor...

With the possibilities Live brings to a live DJ performance, it would be nice to have access to song files that are 3 MB each instead of 30 MB.

czechchap

Post by czechchap » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:53 am

I'm going to stick my neck out and agree, as a professional DJ I often get new music sent to me by record labels and distributors as .ogg files.

I'd be happier if I could use them in live without having to convert to .wav everytime...

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 pm

-MIKE- wrote:While I don't agree with the flogging people seem to enjoy handing out in this forum, I understand some of the frustration behind it.

Yes, Live could support mp3 and other compressed files, but it's kind of like asking for a cup holder on a Formula 1 race car. :-)

Live is a professional audio program that handles the highest quality audio, matching any other professional DAW available, and people are asking them to be iTunes.

There are literally dozens of free downloadable audio file conversion apps that do a great job.

Some people might want a cup holder on their F! car, and maybe even a towing bracket too for their caravan. I don't think its up to me, you or anyone else to decide whether they're in the right or not.

As for the legality, I get a lot of MP3's from places like Trackitdown in 320kb/s format but I cant play them without converting them which A: takes up more of my time and B: wastes more space on my hard drive.

louZ

Post by louZ » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:32 am

-MIKE- wrote:

:-)
other pro DAW's do support the mp3 format...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:33 am

louZ wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Makes you wonder whats so pro about them...

louZ

Post by louZ » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:46 am

hoffman2k wrote:
louZ wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Makes you wonder whats so pro about them...
touche :lol:

rachmanoff

Post by rachmanoff » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:10 am

my request for MP3 import is not for the purposes of audio recording - of course aiff and wav are what you want when recording a master.

But for DJ purposes
i read in that 'future of ableton', or one of those threads, an idea about different 'editions' of live.. a dj edition, a producer edition, etc.

with the multitude of live users requesting mp3 support for djing purposes, i think it might be a legitimate point of divergence for ableton. if the company could handle it, i think it would be beneficial splitting the product line into different versions of the same fundamental program tailored for different uses: mp3 support and enhanced file search/management things for the djs who are less concerned with chopping, stretching, and VSTs. and a strict focus on CPU efficiency and traditional ableton 'values' ;) for the producers.

could be a grand slam for ableton. ...or maybe not!

czechchap

Post by czechchap » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 am

rachmanoff wrote:
my request for MP3 import is not for the purposes of audio recording - of course aiff and wav are what you want when recording a master.

But for DJ purposes
i read in that 'future of ableton', or one of those threads, an idea about different 'editions' of live.. a dj edition, a producer edition, etc.

with the multitude of live users requesting mp3 support for djing purposes, i think it might be a legitimate point of divergence for ableton. if the company could handle it, i think it would be beneficial splitting the product line into different versions of the same fundamental program tailored for different uses: mp3 support and enhanced file search/management things for the djs who are less concerned with chopping, stretching, and VSTs. and a strict focus on CPU efficiency and traditional ableton 'values' ;) for the producers.

could be a grand slam for ableton. ...or maybe not!
This is pants! Ableton's one great strength is that it is multipurpose. If I wanted one program to sequence and another to DJ, I would have bought logic and traktor.

BUT what I want is a program flexible enough to do both. In fact the line between DJ / producing a track and performing live is becoming very blurred for me.

I often start off a night by playing a few other people's songs gauge the mood of the house and then bang in some live stuff of my own for a while and when that tails off go back to Djing again....

Then the next day I can sit down in the studio and work on some new songs (ok I won't mention Live's summing (esp. of bass freqs :wink:)) . Why in the name of all things good would Ableton want to shoot themselves in the arse by becoming seperate programs.... eh? tell me? why?

[/b]
computer (small), musical instruments (many), cables(multicoloured), monitors (two, loud).

andydes

Another Plan

Post by andydes » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:43 pm

Isn't there a way to sync Live to a more conventional computer DJing program such as Traktor? If not, maybe there should be.

As far I can tell, most people who are requesting MP3 support, want to be able to mix whole tracks from their collections. I don't think Live was really designed for this purporse, but it's obviously being used this way.

Personally I don't want to see a whole heap of different Lives on the market. Some people will end up buying the DJ version and never actually write anything of their own. How dull.