Giving up on Ableton 9 - Thanks for your apathy Ableton...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: Giving up on Ableton 9 - Thanks for your apathy Ableton...

Post by ze2be » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Theres no problem using vsts, just have to be very picky about it. Only us a few trusted brands that you and others have tested true and stable.
Software will never be completely bug free, but one can improve the daw setup a lot by testing the software properly over time, and read user reports, etc.
For a live set im using mostly only one vsti and one vstfx, and the rest native plugs. But in the studio, I use more.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:30 pm

[quote="General Lee"] I've never seen such a lackadaisical sense of communication between a company and it's customers. [quote]

wow, you should see how Sony treats its Acid Pro customers.

General Lee

Post by General Lee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 pm

RE: scutheotaku's post...

Actually there are several reasons for this. First and foremost I remain very busy and spend very, very little time on the net. Overall, I've enjoyed this product and the basic tools and stability it offers. After countless hours spent with it, I consider myself a power user.

It's only been my ongoing and growing frustration with (specifically) the Arrangement View's weak interface, and Abletons simple failure to address the literally thousands of comments bemoaning this and other critical usability concerns, that has prompted this thread. Sadly, it's forced my ultimate decision not to hold out further hope that Live updates will likely be improving this portion of the program anytime soon (if ever). I believe they will continue to hold to their original interface paradigm no matter how old or feeble - by today's standards - it becomes. More's the pity. Shortcuts and workarounds only take you so far. And the overall visual impact becomes very trying and wearing after even a moderate period of use. Ultimately, one grows tired of working like this.

I do check in on this forum from time to time and I've read with interest the insights, praises, suggestions, anecdotes and tips posted by other members. Generally, I've found the members to be informed and erudite and needing no further elucidation from me. Consider me part of the "Silent Majority" who use but don't talk much...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:30 pm

^ it must be hard for you. :(

good luck with your new DAW; may it bring you all the happiness that you never received from this one.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 pm

friend_kami wrote: i rarely ever use any vst plugins. when i do it is less stable though.
i do however do aot of video scoring and sound design and that is a shortcut to crash with live.
Crap, that's one area of Live I may never use, so I'm no help.
My other DAW Digital Performer is widely lauded for film scoring so I wouldn't even bother tasking Live with it; and honestly I thought Live was ridiculously unstable years and versions ago when they first added Quicktime support. Never bothered to look into it again.

For what it's worth Live and DAWs in general aren't the only things that have fatal flaws they don't address. In OSX set up a RAID array using 256kb data access and watch OSX have a kernel panic as soon as Disc Utility is done setting the RAID up. The sad part of this is I'm on Snow Leopard and I found out what caused the kernel panic by finding a thread addressing the issue in Lion, so Apple hasn't solved the issue in at least two major versions of the OS. Neither disks alone were able to mount on OSX without OSX crashing and shutting down. To solve this I had to get on an either Windows or Linux PC reformat the disks to Fat 32, in OSX reformat for Mac OS, then set up the RAID in OSX for 128kb access.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote:In OSX set up a RAID array using 256kb data access and watch OSX have a kernel panic as soon as Disc Utility is done setting the RAID up. The sad part of this is I'm on Snow Leopard and I found out what caused the kernel panic by finding a thread addressing the issue in Lion, so Apple hasn't solved the issue in at least two major versions of the OS. Neither disks alone were able to mount on OSX without OSX crashing and shutting down. To solve this I had to get on an either Windows or Linux PC reformat the disks to Fat 32, in OSX reformat for Mac OS, then set up the RAID in OSX for 128kb access.
8O

:lol:

not laughing at you at all MW. that sucks and i'm sorry you had to go through it... the irony meter is through the roof though.

General Lee

Post by General Lee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 pm

H20nly wrote:^ it must be hard for you. :(

good luck with your new DAW; may it bring you all the happiness that you never received from this one.
Thanks H2Only. Just wanted to say that I understood and appreciated your earlier comment re the "elasticity" of Live. I agree on this point and it's kept me in the game (with Live) a long time. Happiness is as happiness does and there have been times when I could not wish for a finer compositional tool - especially as regards the Session view. Don't let my apparent divorce from this product discourage your own efforts (I say this to all). As pointed out earlier, I'll keep it on hand for it's strengths even I as I use a more traditional DAW for it's own abilities.

Sometimes people expect too much from a single product that's all. No disrespect to anyone here. At least I tried. For what it's worth, I AM very happy with Nuendo (as in all new love affairs) and am enjoying its bounty immensely (re the points I've been discussing). But who knows what lies ahead? In spite of all I've said, I know that I WILL watch the future development of Ableton's product with interest...