Multiple loops in arrange mode (lingering in mutiple songs)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
randallp

Multiple loops in arrange mode (lingering in mutiple songs)

Post by randallp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:41 pm

We use Interactive Worship Live songs dropped into a set for Church. Often, I want to linger on a sequence (bewteen two locators). The loop function works great but there is only one loop allowed per arrangement.

It would be so useful for us worship leader guys to have the possibilit for multiple loops. When you disengage the loop, Live should move on from the current loop and reset its loop on status for the next one it encounters.

This would be really big in modern church worship.
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

ckluxen

Re: Multiple loops in arrange mode (lingering in mutiple songs)

Post by ckluxen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 am

ClyphX

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 pm

randallp wrote:We use Interactive Worship Live songs dropped into a set for Church. Often, I want to linger on a sequence (bewteen two locators). The loop function works great but there is only one loop allowed per arrangement.

It would be so useful for us worship leader guys to have the possibilit for multiple loops. When you disengage the loop, Live should move on from the current loop and reset its loop on status for the next one it encounters.

ever tried using the session view?

randallp

Post by randallp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 pm

grunzlaut wrote:
randallp wrote:We use Interactive Worship Live songs dropped into a set for Church. Often, I want to linger on a sequence (bewteen two locators). The loop function works great but there is only one loop allowed per arrangement.

ever tried using the session view?
Yes - I started out doing that - still you have to tell Live to go back and repeat the scene each time. Another major plus for the arrange view is you can quickly see (using locators) where you are in a song and where all the cues are - the session view clips don't give much definition if you have one eye on the congregation and one on the screen. Also, arrange view allows synched video tracks (big in worship).

Worship songs often repeat sections for quite a while - it's such a comforable feeling leaving it to a loop then just popping a footswitch to move on. :)

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm

randallp wrote:
Yes - I started out doing that - still you have to tell Live to go back and repeat the scene each time.
you can loop scenes, too. just make sure, all the included clips are set to loop-mode

randallp wrote: Another major plus for the arrange view is you can quickly see (using locators) where you are in a song and where all the cues are - the session view clips don't give much definition if you have one eye on the congregation and one on the screen.
why are you looking at the screen all the time 8) ?

randallp wrote: Also, arrange view allows synched video tracks (big in worship).
ok, that is in fact a dealbreaker for session view, but if you`d request the option to play synced videos within session view and possibly even make a dedicated video track that includes the video clips which then could be launched the same way you can launch audio- and midi-clips, i`d be a subscribor of that request :mrgreen: .

randallp

Post by randallp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm

grunzlaut wrote:
randallp wrote:
Yes - I started out doing that - still you have to tell Live to go back and repeat the scene each time.
you can loop scenes, too. just make sure, all the included clips are set to loop-mode

randallp wrote: Another major plus for the arrange view is you can quickly see (using locators) where you are in a song and where all the cues are - the session view clips don't give much definition if you have one eye on the congregation and one on the screen.
why are you looking at the screen all the time 8) ?

randallp wrote: Also, arrange view allows synched video tracks (big in worship).
ok, that is in fact a dealbreaker for session view, but if you`d request the option to play synced videos within session view and possibly even make a dedicated video track that includes the video clips which then could be launched the same way you can launch audio- and midi-clips, i`d be a subscribor of that request :mrgreen: .
If I set all the clips in a scene to loop, how do I tell Live to move on to next scene with a footswitch (pretty easy I bet?) I might re-visit this now you mention it - its just that if I forget, then Live will loop a chorus (say) by default - I'd like it the other way around - to be able to hit a switch and put a scene (read section between locators in arrange) into loop till I say so mode.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

randallp wrote:
If I set all the clips in a scene to loop, how do I tell Live to move on to next scene with a footswitch (pretty easy I bet?)
There is a way to set up a midi controller to scroll up and down the scenes in session view. -it is mentioned in the manual. you can also assign midi controllers to scene launch buttons.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Going by theory at the moment, it might be possible to fire a sequence of Clyphx clips (or locators), where each clip says where and how long the loop in arrange will be, even with one pedal (sounds like that might be an issue)

So, in session view, you could have a clip that says something like "[loc1] Loc 4.1.1-9.1.1 ; Loop on" which says make a loop in arrangement between 4.1.1 to 9.1.1 and turn the loop on.

If you only have one pedal, you could make another clyphx clip that basically says "play a clip in this column and this row ; play the next clip on next pedal press ; etc ; etc. So you'd be able to sequence through the row of clips that have the loop location instructions everytime you hit the pedal.

It may sound complicated, but it's not. The whole thing would be alot easier if you have more than one midi control to use. And you wouldn't need to stay in session view because the pedal would be midi mapped to whatever clyphx clips you decided to use.

I use the "one pedal to sequence down slots in a track" trick to record new guitar parts in a track hands free (instead of launching a whole scene).
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

randallp

Post by randallp » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:02 am

ckluxen wrote:ClyphX
Oh! I see now that was a useful comment! Sorry about that - I'm off to read more about this :oops:

randallp

Post by randallp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 pm

For anyone who is still struggling with hitting the skip to last locator pedal at just the right time (or who is getting fed up on a lengthy linger!) I offer this workaround - dead easy - just setup another "control" track which is muted by a "loop on/off" designated footswitch/key. A little more detail in a short video here:
http://www.iam-pcr.com/2/post/2012/06/l ... -live.html

m_cathey

Post by m_cathey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

As always, Will Doggett has found the answer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7miqF-Iwo :D