Wishlist - render to audio

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
x_bruce

Wishlist - render to audio

Post by x_bruce » Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:27 pm

I've been reading chapter 3 looking for a way to render a mix to 2 channel stereo. If it's there I've managed to misunderstand how to do so after several readings of the manual.

As a wish I'd like to see a "render to audio" feature in the File menu. Perhaps if Ableton is ambitious they could provide a dialog box asking if tracks should be mixed to stereo or exported in either .aiff or .wav files.

This wouldn't need to be a realtime feature, just enable a way to easily save mixes.

Second, and again if it's in the manual I've missed it completely on a few reads, make it possible to save more than one mix. Since we can save our work while LIVE is running this would be especially nice. Such a function would help me in the following example.

I use LIVE to build up a mix with the rest of my band playing around what I've built. I switch to keyboard or other instruments. Our band improvises everything down to the samples we play. One way of imposing some structure would be to click on one of several mixes or variations of mixes based on the samples already loaded rather than saving and recording over. It would keep the flow better for us.

Add a return to default button that would take any edits and reset to default conditons upon the initial save or just revert to the sample data.

Also, it would be nice to see Bezier curves for track adjustments. Automating faders is excellent for live performance but I'm sure many of us like what we have but want some more precision adjusting tracks.

If this degrades performance perhaps make it like the Hi-Q feature, of unless the user wants it. This way the user can balance performance against functions they would like.

These features may not be implemented in live situations but they would make LIVE the application vastly better at saving the work a user does in it which IMO should be something the program takes into account.

I know this reads like a laundry list but I am quite taken by LIVE. I've been looking for a program like this for a long time. The suggestions made are meant to improve or slightly extend the abilities. If there are parts to LIVE that already do this I'd appreciate anyone who can tell me where I might find it in the manual.

Regards,
Bruce

x_bruce

also....

Post by x_bruce » Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:38 am

There is a way to adjust data in track view, I was incorrect in my message above. However, I havn't been able to get this documented feature to work.

btester

sorry

Post by btester » Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:04 am

Sorry the manual is not entirely clear for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

I might be crazy but I think Live always creates stereo files when you bounce. I guess I never really thought about it (sorry), but the master out can't be made mono (something I'd like) so your bounces should always be stereo. Does that make sense.

Well, anyways. I've been using it in much the way you have and have experienced mostly good luck (except for latency, that is. . .).

bearthw

sorry

Post by bearthw » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:29 am

btester wrote: I might be crazy but I think Live always creates stereo files when you bounce. I guess I never really thought about it (sorry), but the master out can't be made mono (something I'd like) so your bounces should always be stereo. Does that make sense.
How do you bounce to disc, though? I haven't seen that option, either, and for me it seems to be the one big lacking feature for my use.

--Bear

bearthw

sorry

Post by bearthw » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:48 am

bearthw wrote: How do you bounce to disc, though? I haven't seen that option, either, and for me it seems to be the one big lacking feature for my use.
I guess it helps to read through the rest of the site. I found the answer in the general category. Specifically:

To bounce tracks, select "master out" as the input option on any channel(in the session view) and you'll see that record mode is activated for that track. Clicking on a record button in an empty slot will start recording the output of the master bus to a new clip in this slot. Any tracks that are active or routed to the master outs will be recorded into this new clip.

This worked fine for me, creating an empty track only for bouncing.

Of course, it would be nice to have this as an easier feature to use, namely a command under the file menu, such as export audio as file... giving you the option to save it in a variety of formats. But this will do nicely for now. :)

--Bear

x_bruce

Post by x_bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2002 3:34 pm

That was pretty much what I was looking for in a future version of Live. Most audio programs have a render to audio - either tracks or mixes.

That said Live is one of the most useful and creative programs I've used in a long time. This would't stop me from purchasing if I had it to do again.

Bruce

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:54 pm

coming very soon...

btester

rendering

Post by btester » Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:08 pm

I think the main problem here (others have mentioned the same thing to me) is that Live is different from other audio sequencers like logic, cubase, et al. Most audio sequencers give you an option to render audio files with the assumption in mind that you'll export these files to another program or burn them to cd. Live seems to be set up more so that you can RESAMPLE audio and immediately have access to in in your set. The audio bouncing procedure is currently configured more like a sampler and less like cubase. Obviously, you can still export files to other apps but it'll just take a little magic from Ableton to make the process more familiar.

B.

twelve

Yes, I agree

Post by twelve » Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:16 pm

Yes , please allow save as aiff or as mid

Dain

export as aif or wav PLEASE!!!!

Post by Dain » Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:01 am

For me, this is the only true weakness of this program as I'm encountering tremendous problems in bouncing down tracks due to CPU taxing of a 350 G3 BW. I don't feel that LIVE is truly a live instrument given that any realtime bouncing with any complexity beyond 2 tracks and 2 effects creates incredible digital clipping. So skip the "live" end and allow us to use this program for what it's really good for-ease of multi-track production. BOUNCING SUCKS!!!!!

btester

bouncing

Post by btester » Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:28 am

I've been doing plenty of bouncing with no problems really. I changed my perspective a little on how and why you would bounce tracks and got used to it.
It is pretty important to watch the level on the master output so that you don't get any clipping. Someone mentioned dodgy metering in another thread and I think that that is a problem. Better metering would make bouncing easier. And I'm betting that a render to file menu command is probably on its way, so the whole thing will hopefully be moot.

1.5zig

render to disk

Post by 1.5zig » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:50 am

seems like the upcoming version 1.5 will skip those problems forever :D :D :D :D