Answers is useless - please reopen Users Help Exchange

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
mbira

Answers is useless - please reopen Users Help Exchange

Post by mbira » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm

I tried answers for the first time a couple days ago. No answer to my (pretty advanced) question. Also, I see very little activity on other questions...

Albeton-you tried Answers - we don't like it. You had a community of dedicated users helping each other out and helping foster a sense of creativity, communication, and mutual learning. You took that away and we are left with a broken system that is dumbed-down and impersonal.

Someone there at Ableton needs to get rid of their ego and realize that everyone tries things and if they don't work, we learn from them and adjust - PLEASE ADJUST!

If you want to keep playing with Answers, then great, keep doing that, but don't shut down a very helpful ASSET to your software by shutting down the Users Help Exchange. There are many of us out there that are dealing with complex situations (Live API, MIDI feedback note mapping, etc, etc) that your simple Answers platform is not designed to handle. We want DIALOG and COMMUNITY, not "Answers".

lachance_11@msn.com

Re: Answers is useless - please reopen Users Help Exchange

Post by lachance_11@msn.com » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm

i have NEVER understood why this forum was closed - it was my "go to" place for friendly help. I also find the Answers section completely useless. The forum was great, and used ALOT, so why it was closed is absolutely beyond me

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 pm

I think Answers was a great idea, but having it only accessed from the home page is going means it doesn't get as much traffic as it needs to really function well. Wish there was a way to tie it in with the forums.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm

+1
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Tarekith wrote:I think Answers was a great idea, but having it only accessed from the home page is going means it doesn't get as much traffic as it needs to really function well. Wish there was a way to tie it in with the forums.
this.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Seems like most user questions now just get posted in the Music and Audio Production forum, so not sure what the point of closing the actual help forum was.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Ableton got confused

They have a pub, where any punter could shout "hey, what's the name of that movie?", and a range of drunks would respond with a range of responses.

They saw that and thought "Well, this could be cleaned up, let's turn this noisy pub into a helpdesk, like a voluntary citizens advice bureau, Nice and quiet and orderly and staffed only by the most helpful caring types"

that shows a worrying lack of understanding of what's happening here.
Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!

I'm in the pub, not manning a helpdesk. I may give you a solid answer, I may drunkenly abuse your mother. It's how i like it and why I'm in the pub.
The landlord may choose to close it, but it won't make me work the help desk instead.

And now, our parable: "the goose that laid the golden egg"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 pm

oi! stay off my mother! genelecs! layer the kick with Operator!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:08 pm

whatever the forum separations, its the same people potentially answering the same questions..

maybe your Q slid off before someone who knew could see it, maybe no one knew the answer, maybe your Q was poorly worded or uninteresting, maybe you (not you you) ask too many Qs

mbira

Post by mbira » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm in the pub, not manning a helpdesk. I may give you a solid answer, I may drunkenly abuse your mother. It's how i like it and why I'm in the pub.
The landlord may choose to close it, but it won't make me work the help desk instead.
Well said.

Simmerdown-you don't get it...It's not about questions and answers. It's about discussion and community. I want to continue to dive deep into the Live API and MIDI feedback as it relates to my hand-built custom controllers. Ableton still has the Max For Live forum up which is where these discussions happen for M4L, but they seem to think that those of us just using Live8 don't want the community discussion.

If you don't understand the difference between Answers and the old UHE, then maybe look at the first page of answers and look at the first page of the M4L forum, and notice the difference...

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I just checked it for the first time. What use is having the answers section there for everyone to see without any search function or sub categories?

I guess you've got to post a new one every time, no matter how many times it's been answered unless you want to browse through 81 pages manually & hope you stumble across the same question. How is that any better (or even up to par with) posting on the forum or just sending support an email? Perhaps I just don't get it either.

redglass

Post by redglass » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Angstrom wrote:Ableton got confused

They have a pub, where any punter could shout "hey, what's the name of that movie?", and a range of drunks would respond with a range of responses.

They saw that and thought "Well, this could be cleaned up, let's turn this noisy pub into a helpdesk, like a voluntary citizens advice bureau, Nice and quiet and orderly and staffed only by the most helpful caring types"

that shows a worrying lack of understanding of what's happening here.
Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!

And now, our parable: "the goose that laid the golden egg"
+1