View/compare multiple clips at the same time

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
eric_c

View/compare multiple clips at the same time

Post by eric_c » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 am

Often times I'll have my drum tracks organized into a group, with roughly one track for each instrument. Here's a really basic example:

And of course when a clip is selected, its contents are viewable at the bottom of the screen. Here's my first clip:

And here's my second clip:

The problem - Only one of these clips can be viewed at a time. This can make percussion programming difficult because you usually want to place your notes relative to the positions of other notes. But if you can only view one clip at a time, then its impossible to see the notes that you want to use for reference.

I would love to be able to see the contents of both clips at the same time. I suppose this could either be done by just showing the clips you have selected or through some other means. Below is a really quick Photoshop mockup (bigger version here).

That is perhaps not a super elegant solution and things would get cramped, but I'm sure Ableton could come up with a polished functionality. At least this would allow people to program the notes in one clip based on the contents of the other clip. Something like that would be super useful for me.