I myself would love an Ableton Vocoder

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
LOFA

I myself would love an Ableton Vocoder

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:09 pm

Silly me. I bought Logic 7 with the impression I could turn my microkontrol into the most bad-ass dual g5 powered vocoder in the galaxy. I was all prepared to slay dragons and defend the transcendental honor of fleeting existential characters from the the universe's 3rd eye, when I finally sat down with Logic's 950 or so pages of manual and realized I probably could not do this with live vocals, and if I could, it was such an unsupported goal that it was not even mentioned.

This, is why I put my modest request before the trusted hands of Ableton. If you could at some point consider implementing a vocoder feature (that would add on to the Operator- which I own, or should I say, has owned me for the last few months,) or perhaps even as a new "product," I promise you that I am already in line to buy it.

As incentive, let me mention that the street value of the microkorg has not diminished in over a year (I have kept up with this). This should be an indication of a desire in the market. Despite the fact that Korg's MS2000 is significantly more enhanced than the Microkorg, people are still eating up the Micro for it's practical/efficient size (for gigging.) If I am not mistaken, this mentality is common to customers of Ableton that desire a lot of power in a very limited set up. I can imagine a very great product coming out of you all, and I can only dream of what might it might be capable of (especially with dual-processor/ Altivec support...When in Rome,Eh?.)

Thank you for your patience, support, and the most inspiring techniques in manipulating time-space since Cezanne (arguably Braque/Picasso, whatever, ok, Cubism, nuff-said.)

Edit- Apparently Logic does have the capabilities to do at least the bare minimum of what I need, but holy-cow! If we could integrate a vocoder as seemlessly as Operator... My life would be like a never ending 1980's breakdance song opening up for early Skinny Puppy shows... Dragons in Adidas jump-suits...
Last edited by LOFA on Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:20 am

i second this.a vocoder would be nuts

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:46 pm

try the resonator fx on some vocals

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:20 pm

yeessss with side chain input yessss
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:11 pm

Fairly Expensive, but the Orange Vocoder is/will be coming out with V3 that will be QUITE nice.

An Ab version would be sweet, but I RARELY use the Reason version, and it is the shit.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 pm

I RARELY use the Reason version, and it is the shit.
It would be more the shit if you could use it on an audio track, and way easier to use than loading it into samplers or creating REX files, what if you use it on a whole vocal? also I notice that Orange doesn't allow sidechain input at this time, restricting you to the built in orange synth, which I find kind of limiting, I have a large SFX collection that I like to pick carriers from or use one of the synths I'm using in my track.
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:05 pm

there is a nice mda vocoder available for free. vst only.

http://www.mda-vst.com/

anybody doing live stuff with vocoder? any suggestions?

Suade

Post by Suade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:10 pm

Hmm

That's funny

My Orange Vocoder has a side-chain input

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:39 pm

I think some kind of crossbreed would be more exciting - perhaps a granular vocoder or convolving vocoder, or something else a bit more out of the ordinary.
Imagine a vocoder with a delay hold buffer that could be accessed via a position parameter so you could pull out beats from the loop buffer for both the mod and carrier and jam them up in real time to make freaky rhythm effects.
I am more intersted in something like that.

although vocoders can be good on percusion they still are pretty limited unless you have an old patchable hardware one, or a really modifiable software one.

They looove CPU cycles too.

Pitch Black

Re: I myself would love an Ableton Vocoder

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:42 pm

LOFA wrote: I was all prepared to slay dragons and defend the transcendental honor of fleeting existential characters from the the universe's 3rd eye

Lemme guess... You like vocoders then, LOFA?
EVOC rules! I bought it back when you had to pay for it.

I like vocoders the way John Hinckley Jnr liked Jodie Foster...
RMBP i7 2.8GHz | OSX 10.14.6 | Live10.1.15 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:36 pm

8O

:lol:

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 am

Have you checked out Vokator from NI? Really powerful and good quality, built-in synth, chord sequencer, arpeggiator, modulation-controlled preset morphing... would be hard to beat that. For something quick and easy, there are two vocoder plugins in Pluggo.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think some kind of crossbreed would be more exciting - perhaps a granular vocoder or convolving vocoder, or something else a bit more out of the ordinary.
Imagine a vocoder with a delay hold buffer that could be accessed via a position parameter so you could pull out beats from the loop buffer for both the mod and carrier and jam them up in real time to make freaky rhythm effects.
I am more intersted in something like that.

although vocoders can be good on percusion they still are pretty limited unless you have an old patchable hardware one, or a really modifiable software one.

They looove CPU cycles too.
fuck yeah!

go on angstrom, build it in a rack. i know you can do it. youre insane, so youll manage. (ont insane in that bad way though heh)
then share it to the world (pretty please?).

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:09 pm

I'd rather they focus on the DAW aspects of their software rather than have them waste time on plugins we could easily purchase ourselves seperately.

things like 128+ parameters for automation, clip envelope recording, embedded lfo/envelope controllers, clip crossfades, curved automation, and other important missing features should be dealt with before anything else in my opinion.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Geezus wrote:I'd rather they focus on the DAW aspects of their software rather than have them waste time on plugins we could easily purchase ourselves seperately.

things like 128+ parameters for automation, clip envelope recording, embedded lfo/envelope controllers, clip crossfades, curved automation, and other important missing features should be dealt with before anything else in my opinion.
automation recording in session view ;)