Now with 64 Bit support, please allow multiple VST paths!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ThomasHelzle

Now with 64 Bit support, please allow multiple VST paths!

Post by ThomasHelzle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

I was asked to move this here from the beta forum:
Now that Live 8.4 64 Bit is on it's way, I think it is finally time to implement multiple VST paths.
Even with 32 Bit VSTs I found it a bit limiting to only have one VST path, but it wasn't a big deal.
Now with 64 Bit support, at least two VST Custom Folders are needed IMO, one for the 64 Bit VSTs and one for the jBridged 32 Bit VSTs.

While in Theory it is possible to make the jBridge Folder a subfolder of the 64 Bit VST folder, I personally think that is a mess.
- It changes the way my plugins are shown between the 32 and the 64 Bit version of Live, since the ones that are 64 Bit already would be organized in the same way as the 32 Bit ones, but all the bridged ones would reside in a subfolder. With a lot of VSTs this is getting pretty confusing when switching between 32 and 64 Bit. This could be avoided with multiple custom VST path if the result would be ordered as if it all is one big VST folder.

- The jBridge folder has to be refreshed regularly to account for new plugins and so I personally feel safer if it's separate folder.
- And finally, it would be helpful for bugfixing/bugtracking if I could for instance disable the jBridge folder without moving the plugins on the HD.

I am aware that none of the above is a complete showstopper, but IMO having at least one additional VST folder (I would prefer several, since the next thing to deal with will be VST 3 when the game will go into the next iteration) would be very very helpful to ease the transition to 64 Bit.

I could also live with a options.txt solution for multiple VST folders BTW.
This works great here with the wacom support and if the preferences pane is a holy cow for Ableton that can't be changed or extended, I would happily enter paths as text in that file ;-)

I hope this will be possible soon!

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. Live is the only DAW I use that has only one VST path. All others are between at least 2 (Sensomusic Usine for instance) or basically as many as needed (Studio One for instance).

saintjoe

Re: Now with 64 Bit support, please allow multiple VST paths!

Post by saintjoe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 am

I always thought this was weird myself, and definitely need at least two now that we have 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Live
Push Tutorials - video manual and tutorials for Push - PushTutorials.com

Ableton Live Tips - tips, tutorials, & reviews for Ableton Live.

SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, reviews, videos, and gear.

elseano

Post by elseano » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 am

Totally agree

loydb

Post by loydb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 pm

+1

And, since I haven't said it elsewhere, thanks guys for finally getting to 64-bit. I'm ready to ditch Cubase and return!
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey guys,
what I do is I have a Folder called "VST" and two sub folders VST 32 and VST 64.

I point Live at the main container folder "VST" and it will show for you just the relevant VST plugins. In this case, an image from Live 8.2.6, it's the 32 bit folder which shows up.

You can see that Live 32 bit just delivers a top-level folder called VST 32. The 64 bit version of Live will show the other one. Both applications are acually pointed at the parent folder, just called "VST"

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Yeah I have a main folder with 32/64 bit as well, it's all good. I just know many hosts that allow multiple folders.
Push Tutorials - video manual and tutorials for Push - PushTutorials.com

Ableton Live Tips - tips, tutorials, & reviews for Ableton Live.

SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, reviews, videos, and gear.