Please improve the latency delay compensation before all

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Do you want that ableton will improve the latency delay compensation ???

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 61

mute13

Please improve the latency delay compensation before all

Post by mute13 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:15 pm

I have buy Ableton Live since 3 month now and use it a lot, but there is something really bad, there is no latency delay compensation for the plug in, it's really suck for electronic music because you can't really sync all your parts and sounds. For example if you do a kick line with a certain plug in and you add a third party compressor (vst), after that you want to sync your bass done with another vsti, you will compress it too with another compressor and add an EQ to improve it, there will be latency so they will not play in really sync the bass will always play later.

Please Ableton do your job because i love your software, but if i can't use any plug in real time, it's like to be a mix engineer without effects board or a DJ without sync.

Thanks in advance
P4 2.8Ghz 1Ghz 80GBhd Win XP
RME Fireface
Novation Remote 25

See you later
;)

ylarin

Post by ylarin » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 am

I totally agree. Need full PDC support. I think it is the third time I ask for it... well... I'll keep trying.

It is really a pain in the ... to have to think about latency sync before using a VST effect.

Cheers

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:59 pm

YES YES YES

PDC PDC PDC PDC PDC PDC

PLEEEEEAASSEE!!!

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm

yes yes yes

and Dual cpu support

roby

Post by roby » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:32 pm

i think it's definitely a must. i cant believe there's even 15% of the membership that has voted against it.

LIFE

Post by LIFE » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:21 am

maybe im wrong, but i remember they have promise PDC for a long time.
It can not be, that there is still now no PDC in Live. It really suxx.
hp pavillion, athlon-m 2400, 512 ram (64shared for onboard gfx), tascam us122, bcr 2000.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 am

I know I'm in for some flames here...

But how can anything go faster then real-time?
Typing a feature request for PDC takes about as much time as putting a buffer/simple delay on a track.
I understand people would want this for rendering. But in a real-time environment you can't expect the computer to know what your going to do in the future.

I'm not looking for trouble here. i just feel that this request will only serve the people who are looking for a bloated DAW instead of a mean lean live playing machine.

just my 2 cents...

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:05 pm

I think this really is a neccessity. It's (apparently) sooo easy implemented in software too.

It's not as simple as delaying everything else by that amount. Some track may use 1 delay-inducing plug, some may use 3. You end up having loads of busses to juggle around just to get everything in time. Surely getting the software to do that automatically isn't bloated?

Live is almost perfect for me and is only lacking in PDC and groove quantise. That's all I want....

ct43

Post by ct43 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:11 pm

im starting to think that maybe PDC is not possible in real time, like you say it has to move all the other channels to compensate, surely there would be problems with that...

maybe they should bring it in as a feature that you can switch in for when you are using it as a DAW at home rarther than a live thing...

Maybe im wrong (and I hope I am, because PDC stops me using live to mix my tracks) and they are working on a clitch / crash proof PDC right now..

supster

Post by supster » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:39 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
I'm not looking for trouble here. i just feel that this request will only serve the people who are looking for a bloated DAW instead of a mean lean live playing machine.

just my 2 cents...

no flames here, but i do disagree.

i think the real point of Live is not

'live instrument that now happens to have DAW features ... without the bloat"

but rather:

"complete live performance / production environment that seeks to do what traditional DAWs do, but much leaner, more intelligently designed, and BETTER"

so, even though there are complicated workarounds for some scenarios, i dont think leaving certain features out for the sake of simplicity makes things simpler

just makes things more complicated and annoying to deal with. imo ...

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Yeah,

for me it just makes the production process more annoying than it should be - I get stuck whenever I want to use a plugin that has latency, and the sample delay thing is ok as a temp work-around but gets really messy with a lot of tracks and different plugs...

so, I reckon, just a switch in preferences to have it on or off, as anytime a plug with latency is loaded, with PDC it will alter the latency of everything

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Having PDC will seriously alter the live playability of the program IMO. Compensating for huge latencies and a responsive live machine don't go hand in hand.

eddu

Post by eddu » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:10 pm

Live has evolutioned and so they features have to. I´m not using Live to deal with live performances. Basically i use Live because is the most effective production tool i´va tried. That´s why the PDC is necessary, cos Live isn´t just a "live instrument" nowadays...it can or it can´t be. So there should be an option where you could activate PDC. If you go to the stage you just uncheck the box and then you can really play live. It´s not so difficult to understand.

PDC is a must.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:19 pm

Point taken. But i'll bite.

Which plugins can you use in Live with zero latency?
The Ableton plugins for sure.
I would rather like to see more plugins that have no latency, then having a computer decide over what compensation it sees fit at the time.

Look. I'm not trying to argue against Plugin Delay Compensation.
I'm arguing against Plugin Delay. That's totally unacceptable. It's blasphemy i tell ya.
Computers are getting fast enough. And if you don't have a fast one. They are getting cheaper as we speak.
One day we can use the power of multiple computers to play Live. (You already can if you live in logic-land)
The last thing we will need then is plugins that introduce latency.

What we need is CDC. Stands for Crappy Developers Compensation.

Please don't burn me on the stakes. I prefer a lynchmob. Got a cool t-shirt and i've never been on FOX news.

eddu

Post by eddu » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:28 pm

Well the fact is that i use plugins with greater latecny because i like to, and because they are better than any other. Talking about UAD-1. I´d like to use it, but i can´t with Live. So my sound is being critically damaged because of the lack of PDC. Of course if i play live with Live i won´t be using UAD.