Volume automation question Arrange window

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
woodsdenis

Volume automation question Arrange window

Post by woodsdenis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

This really driving me nuts. Any help please.
Say you have a track in Arrange with no volume automation . It has 3 separate audio sections/clips. You want to bring down the volume of clip 1 by 3 db.

1. I highlight the clip and position mouse cursor just above straight automation volume line
2. Drag down, Live creates automation nodes on boundaries of selection (great this is exactly like Pro Tools and Logic ) It drags the automation line straight down as constrained by selection.
3. As I drag down I can se NO indication as to what my current level/value is.???? The track volume display does not update as I do this.After i have done it by pointing the mouse cursor at the automation node it will display its value, but that is a bit pointless.

Surely to do a relatively simple thing like this you don't have to 4 nodes and do it that way ?

Am I missing some thing very basic here, it seem very strange.

Thanks

Denis

woodsdenis

Re: Volume automation question Arrange window

Post by woodsdenis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 pm

funken wrote:It could do with fixing, but you wanna use a draw tool on a large grid, that will sort it. Also a tip, to automate volume use Utility, then you still have volume free for mixing
Wow tx for quick response. Please fix this, this is a pretty basic function for a DAW,
Why would you not use the Volume for mixing and the Utility as a trim tool. I am talking about mixing in the traditional sense on the arrange window and bouncing down. I can see the the advantage of the utility method if you were using it for live mixing in a DJ set.

I have just discovered the workaround for original problem. I you do the vol change while the transport is running you can see the track vol indicator change.