Set audio clip loop length BEFORE recording!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
bigboz

Re: Set audio clip loop length BEFORE recording!!!!!!!

Post by bigboz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 pm

simmerdown wrote:you have a softstep? thats the ultimate midifoot...get the Looper going, no need to set clip length, especially since there is no 'good' way to do it
Yeah,I do use the LOOPER occaisionally (in fact I posted a new use for LOOPER - using 2 synced LOOPERs per track on multiple tracks for easy A/B or verse-chorus switching,but nobody replied to it 8O )

As I said already - LOOPER is not integrated enough,so you can't use it as a clip or control it with scenes.
You can't process layers independantly either,and other probs.

The only sensible answer would be to implement what's being suggested - pre set audio loop length.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Again, this seems fundamental to me.

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:34 pm

bigboz wrote:Would I be right in saying this has been left out again?
If so - why?Is it really that hard to implement?
To be able to set the loop length of an audio clip in Session View before recording into it - just the same as you can do in a midi clip.
Also what about MIDI mapping for DELETE CLIP?

I don't care about any of the other stuff in Live9.
This is basic stuff that live musicians who start their set from scratch would love to see.

It's been requested for years now.
I emailed support ages ago - and was told that this is the place to ask.
Maybe I'll even get an answer.

OK,I'm away to lie down and breathe deeply.

yeah, go lie down and breathe deeply. and when you wake up, drop a "LOOPER PLUGIN" onto an audio track and learn what it does.

But just to respond to your post:
..you're telling me that when you're performing live, you:
are recording your parts on stage? That's absolutely cool, BUT.... are you not using a foot pedal to simply trigger the recording and the same foot pedal to instantly play that recording as a loop?
And...you actually think it's better to do that on stage if you were to first count out in your head the number of bars your recording will be before you record it?

The way it is now:
Stomp on foot pedal, record your instrument, stomp on same foot pedal. done. your recording is looping in tempo. move to next slot, repeat. With one foot pedal you have a whole arrangement going in the time it takes you to play the parts.

And you're asking for this:
Count out in my head (on stage) how long my recording will be before I record it (on stage no less?), then trigger record, then record within a pre-determined time-slot, then trigger playback.? On stage???

Actually....You should set up the Looper plugin on your tracks for this. It's actually perfect because you can pre-set how many bars it records before it starts looping. That's what you should do.
You could even do what you're talking about using one single Looper plugin. It does overdub also.

tjspurge

Post by tjspurge » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm bringing this post back from the dead because I just got into ableton and I'd also like to say that there should be a function to overdub audio clips and to pre-define the length of audio clips. If we can do it with MIDI, why not audio? I know about looper, and I use the looper, but it's really a drag that looper does not integrate nicely into session view. Sure, we can use "drag me!" to get a clip out of the looper, but this seems like a terrible workaround. Why is it not yet possible to overdub audio clips??

One thing that the looper has that's better than clips is that the "reverse" function in the looper can be midi mapped. I find it frustrating that Ableton had not yet implemented audio clip overdub. I want to see it in Ableton 10, or sometime in the near future. Sorry to ressurrect this dead thread, but I know I am not alone!!

Currently, I'm using a Launchpad pro for session view control, and an Ipad with Midi Designer Pro2 as a controller for my loopers. If audio clip overdubs can be accomplished, it would exponentially increase session's effectiveness as a tool for live looping. So I'm asking, please Ableton, include these features in your next update!!

Just my two cents. :)

gwp99

Post by gwp99 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 pm

tjspurge wrote:...there should be a function to overdub audio clips and to pre-define the length of audio clips.
I am wondering if this has been implemented in Live10's Session View?

83db

Post by 83db » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 pm

And here I was thinking there was something wrong with me for not figuring this out! So strange, as powerful as Live is, why would this simple function not exist?

I use a foot pedal for looping vocals, guitars, bass, midi instruments, etc. Where I need a predefined loop length is when recording drums. I am unable to interrupt the groove to press a foot pedal. Both feet and hands are "busy".

I have been using the Looper together with automation with start, stop, and play functions, but it seems awfully sloppy to accomplish a very simple task.

If anyone has a better solution or if Ableton can correct this, I would certainly appreciate it!

tjspurge

Post by tjspurge » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm still waiting for this feature to be implemented:(((

MAKE THIS A THING PLZ +10000000

83db

Post by 83db » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:02 pm

83db wrote:
I use a foot pedal for looping vocals, guitars, bass, midi instruments, etc. Where I need a predefined loop length is when recording drums. I am unable to interrupt the groove to press a foot pedal. Both feet and hands are "busy".
I should add, I also would like to avoid purchasing a midi drum pad that would only be used as an "on-off" switch for loops. I've seen some people do this. Even with that approach, you would potentially disrupt the groove of the loop.

83db

Post by 83db » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but...

Any updates on this issue with newer versions of Live? Any newer techniques that would help with recording acoustic drums with looping in mind (as I described above)? Thanks.

specsoman

Post by specsoman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 pm

Also need this! Is this already in Live 11? Damn this can only be done with Push 2 or Launchpad Pro MK3.

virtuallyeverything

Post by virtuallyeverything » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Fixed length audio clip macro scripts must be the answer to this problem. If ableton can make scripts for the ableton hardware fixed length button on push 2 or novation launchpad pro then publishing publicly what those scripts are would be key to achieving the results you need. E.g.clyph X beta for ableton live 11 suite.

Why is ableton looper not suitable? I am told its Because when you increase tempo ableton looper changes the pitch.
And ableton looper is only suitable for a few loops. Not 16 channel strips with native instrument vsts assigned as an instrument rack midi, plus another 8 line instruments such as guitars, mics, external hardware synths. Ableton looper isn’treally going to cope with that is it?

Whilst ableton looper may have overdub audio, are you people saying fixed length button doesn't do audio overdub yet ableton looper does? I have yet to try either method.

There must be a hack to avoid having to pay 300 plus quid on launchpad or push2 just for a scripted macro function.

I wish ableton made consumers more aware in their sales marketing of the need for full suite M4L for those requiring live looping scripting.

In the meantime i am just doing midi looping with an akai apc40mk ii (no undo button but i programmed the user button to do that)

Then every other line in external instrument i am just using a more perpose built boss rc505 where loop status feedback is far superior. However syncing bpm between boss and ableton is an issue and two click tracks over two separate headphones is crap.

What ableton need to do is have a workshop with Boss loop world champions to see how from scratch looping really works and how an ableton session view can be mirroring exactly the workflow of a boss rc505.

Boss rc 505 = great workflow but no audio warping quantize

Where as ableton does pseudo treat audio with some degree of warping quantization but workflow is severely lacking.

So to conclude the ultimate requirement is in ableton to have fixed length 1 bar, 2 bar 4 bar macro buttons assigned to any pedal, keystroke, that does not change pitch when tempo is changed. And quantization kind of works.

Not really asking for much (haha)

There must be a way to do it: look at ortopilot on twitch for example