midi channel routings!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
paul4pa

Re: midi channel routings!

Post by paul4pa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm

I support the call for making this change to Ableton.
The only stopping me moving to another DAW is that I know Ableton really well after over 10 years with it. Only recently has this become an issue ...but I will jump ship if Ableton 10 doesn't do something about it.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Am I right in thinking that this is not fixed in Live 10? :|

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 am

Mister36 wrote:Am I right in thinking that this is not fixed in Live 10? :|
This being? I think nothing is changed really as far as MIDI tracks is concerned.
Make some music!

thinktankted

Post by thinktankted » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't know if anyone figured this out yet, but if you just set the Midi channel to something besides all channels, then tracks sending midi to that track don't get muddled up. Here is what it looks like:

EDIT: Welp...that actually doesn't work...it worked for a brief moment, but then switching it to all screwed it up.
EDIT2: Ok, it does work, I just had the volume down on my channel 2 instrument to test the All Channels, setting it back to Channel 1, and turning back up the volume on channel 2 instrument got it back to working as expected.

AHA!!! I set the Midi Input on Track 1 to "No Input" and it still works, so that is the secret sauce...The Track Midi Input setting is independent from what the VST is getting from other midi tracks, if that routing is set up.

I think the All Inputs / All Channels setting is like a failsafe for those "hurrr-durrr, why doesn't it make any noise?" moments that we all have from time to time.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 am

thinktankted wrote: AHA!!! I set the Midi Input on Track 1 to "No Input" and it still works, so that is the secret sauce...The Track Midi Input setting is independent from what the VST is getting from other midi tracks, if that routing is set up.
Are you monitoring the input with a tool like MIDI Monitor? And you see the proper channel there?

Because I don't. Even if the input channel is limited to what channel is coming into the track, what actually goes out is invariably MIDI channel 1. I think that's what the OP and the others describing this issue are referring to.
Make some music!

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 am
Even if the input channel is limited to what channel is coming into the track, what actually goes out is invariably MIDI channel 1. I think that's what the OP and the others describing this issue are referring to.
Anyone know if this is sorted out in Live 11?

spacelake

Post by spacelake » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 pm

It's maddening it still doesn't work in Live 11. MIDI channel output is just fixed to 1.