MIDI export

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
msintros

MIDI export

Post by msintros » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 am

For selected tracks or whole project. It's kinda silly that you can only export MIDI one clip at a time. Shouldn't be too hard to too, I would think.

the bite

Re: MIDI export

Post by the bite » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 pm

I think they don,t want to implement this to avoid users will use another program,because i,ve not found any reasonable reason because Live don,t have this feauture, or why you can,t not save the midi files in other folder like the audio,by default in the .mid format.
The clip format is great and wonderful if you only work with Live,the format .alc is great to use as a modular between templates.But if i want to use my midi files on another program, i can,t do it, because i will not waste my time exporting one by one midi clips.I don,t know if i will be a Live user all my life, what i know it,s that all my midi recordings i,m doing these years are unusable on other program different from Live.

Rxkimo

Post by Rxkimo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 am

+1 for being able to export multiple midi tracks to a single midi file (i.e. a file that has multi-track midi info).

Being able to do so makes using other software much, much easier. And it looks like most other DAWs do this already (e.g. Cubase, Logic, FL).

JayBee808

Post by JayBee808 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 am

+2... I'm new to Ableton and was shocked to find arrangement export to MIDI impossible. I've been doing it with Cakewalk and Cubase since the 90s...

I understand the complexity of all the different track types but any way to get a score out of Live would be awesome. I've begun composing in Live but I want to move MIDI into Sibelius etc. for printed scores.

I'm about to try recording MIDI output in another sequencer machine. Anyone else have a quicker solution? Is Ableton looking into this feature?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah better MIDI export and scoring is definitely needed.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 pm

+1

Export to either STD 0 or 1 for MIDI file output. I am not sure what format it defaults to if you drag the clip to your desktop. Have you tried doing multiple clips and dragging/dropping to your desktop/folder on desktop (NOT IN LIVE)? I know awhile ago I had a problem importing/loading a MIDI file that had 3 instruments, Live did not at the time (V7?) separate them into individual tracks. If I can find the original I'll try that again....or whip up something in MuseScore or Finale Editor and see what happens in Live for importing multiple instruments in a MIDI file.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.