Please be in Ableton 9 (wishlist)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
pelsik

Please be in Ableton 9 (wishlist)

Post by pelsik » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 pm

1) re-scan for devices in ableton
-the best part of ableton is the workflow and what ruins the workflow is having to completely restart ableton when i have to switch from my keyboard mini controller, to my drumpad controller, to my mbox to record a guitar. re-scanning for devices while ableton is still on would be really helpful

2)grouping with subgrouping or grouping track controls
- i hate having to use multiple daws but i have to because mixing in ableton is extremely difficult and oneof the biggest flaws is grouping and submixing, you can technically group tracks in ableton but you cant subgroup (for example if i grouped all the drums i can't make a subgroup the kicks ) so if i ever found the perfect blend of for the kick but wanted to lower the overall volume i cant move the volume of all the kicks simulatanous down at the same amount, id have to guess all the amounts at a lower level, or even for adding volume control plugins for BG vocals when i've already grouoed the overall vocals . so sub groups would also be extremely helpful.
-"grouping track controls" (for like volume and sends) would also be an alternative (preferable with save-able groups that can turn on and off, so you you don't have to keep remaking the track grouping for an easier workflow)

8O really hoping these are in ableton 9

Jinsai

Re: Please be in Ableton 9 (wishlist)

Post by Jinsai » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 am

pelsik wrote:1) re-scan for devices in ableton
-the best part of ableton is the workflow and what ruins the workflow is having to completely restart ableton when i have to switch from my keyboard mini controller, to my drumpad controller, to my mbox to record a guitar. re-scanning for devices while ableton is still on would be really helpful
Couldn't this workflow obstruction be resolved (or even improved) by getting a USB hub and having all your midi controllers plugged in at the same time?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 am

pelsik wrote:
2)grouping with subgrouping or grouping track controls
- i hate having to use multiple daws but i have to because mixing in ableton is extremely difficult and oneof the biggest flaws is grouping and submixing, you can technically group tracks in ableton but you cant subgroup (for example if i grouped all the drums i can't make a subgroup the kicks ) so if i ever found the perfect blend of for the kick but wanted to lower the overall volume i cant move the volume of all the kicks simulatanous down at the same amount, id have to guess all the amounts at a lower level, or even for adding volume control plugins for BG vocals when i've already grouoed the overall vocals . so sub groups would also be extremely helpful.
Couldn't this be resolved by just having a group for kicks and a group for snares, etc... without putting them in another group? Also, I don't know how you have your tracks set up, but can't you just turn down the volume of all the kick samples themselves?

jasper

Post by jasper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 pm

um... are you requesting a wireless transmitter/receiver for your devices that aren't plugged in?
Get a USB hub and plug all your devices in.

pelsik

Post by pelsik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 pm

I have a usb hub, but you have to understand that a usb hub doesn't magically give you x amount fully functioning new usb ports. what it does is divide the resources of the original ports into the new ports so everything on the newer ports run slower.and my biggest problem is that the moment i plug in all of my devices i always get an error message saying, i have exceeded the amount of resources required for all devices, and 1 or maybe 2 dont work until i unplug a couple things.
"re-scan devices" isn't even that crazy of a request
Jinsai wrote:Couldn't this be resolved by just having a group for kicks and a group for snares, etc... without putting them in another group? Also, I don't know how you have your tracks set up, but can't you just turn down the volume of all the kick samples themselves?
you completely misunderstood what i meant, and both your statements wouldn't work, i need all the drums in a group (sub-mixed) together because when i mix them i add compression to the entire drum submix as well as a few stylistic things depending on the song so i cant just divide them. at the same time most the songs i make and the ones i mix for others have layered kicks and i have to balance them so they sound good as 1 unit, and during my mixing process i constantly move the overall volume of all the kicks, with the drums already grouped with the current ableton, the only options are to try to guesstimate the volume balance (you just had) between all the kicks individually at lower or higher level in the mixer or calculate the exact number you want to add or subtract from the volume then adding or subtracting that number to every individual kick in the arrangements view EVERYTIME you want to increase or decrease the volume. you know what would be DRAMATICALLY easier, having subgroups and just moving the volume fader of the group as i please, or grouping the track controls of the kicks and moving all of the volumes as 1 unit. and everything i said could easily be translated to overall vocals and background vocals as well.
im just saying sub-grouping or grouping track controls isn't that crazy of a request either.

:| whatever, i'll just stick to other daws for mixing

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 pm

I am confused though about the MIDI controller issue. I plug in my Korg Pad control, and Ableton instantly recognizes it. I unplug it, and then plug in my Remote SL, and Ableton immediately recognizes it.

Is your problem centered mostly around your audio interface? And even then, if it wasn't finding the device, couldn't you just go into the preferences tab and select it rather than restarting Ableton? Out of curiosity, are you on Mac or PC?

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Jinsai wrote:I am confused though about the MIDI controller issue. I plug in my Korg Pad control, and Ableton instantly recognizes it. I unplug it, and then plug in my Remote SL, and Ableton immediately recognizes it.

Is your problem centered mostly around your audio interface? And even then, if it wasn't finding the device, couldn't you just go into the preferences tab and select it rather than restarting Ableton? Out of curiosity, are you on Mac or PC?
You are on mac right? :D

For WIN this does not work...

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:04 am

mauronedj wrote:
For WIN this does not work...
Really? That's odd... is it because of mac's core audio/midi?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am

in Windows you have to restart the host application... Live.

StefanoMDj

Post by StefanoMDj » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:59 pm

The second part is wrong, you can do a subgroup of Kick Snare Hi-Hat in Live Drum Rack

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm

StefanoMDj wrote:The second part is wrong, you can do a subgroup of Kick Snare Hi-Hat in Live Drum Rack
Quote, but you can't do this outside the Drum Rack!
Group in a Group is still the worst lack in Live! (after PDC I guess...)