All times are UTC

Post subject: 5.1 Surround and 64 bit PLEASE!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 am 

I love Ableton Live, don't get me wrong. I think it's amazing.

But the competition (Cubase and Pro Tools) is kicking Live's ass when it comes to certain things. Actually, they have been for a long time.

Given that it's the 21st century and 64 bit operating systems are a standard and 5.1 surround sound has been out for years, this is where Ableton should be looking with Live 9. It really disappoints to see that they aren't. Especially when just about all of their major competition, even Reason, have gone 64 bit and Cubase has had 5.1 surround mixing capabilities since version 6.

I know that Ableton Live has always catered towards the DJ and Live performance crowds, but there are many musicians, producers, and engineers who love the superior quality and potential that comes with surround sound music.

Like I said, I love Ableton... But I would love it way more if I could mix in surround sound with it.

Post subject: Re: 5.1 Surround and 64 bit PLEASE!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 pm 

I'm not sure why you mention 64 bit. There are 64 bit beta versions of Live 8 & 9 available right now.

It seems very separate from surround.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 am 

It's simply two important features that Ableton I have hoped for, yet haven't heard anything about when reading/hearing about the updates coming with Live 9.

If they are working on betas for 64 bit support, that makes me happy.

Still, the competition has had both of these features for quite some time now and it blows me away that out of all the new features announced, I haven't heard anything about either things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm 

Live is sort of based around musicians. I don't know why a musician might need surround sound. I'd port over to something else if I were to, say, be scoring a movie or something. I don't think of Live and Pro Tools as competitors, as much as complimentary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 pm 

First, there are a LOT of musicians that LOVE surround sound and prefer their music to be mixed that way. It is better in every way period. I'm one of those.

Second, that's the point. They are complementary. Meaning you NEED another $500+ program like Cubase to achieve certain things like surround sound. But they ARE competitors because there are many people who find it cheaper and easier to simply use Cubase and not Live.

You would still be able to mix in stereo if you don't like surround sound and many still would. However, the option would certainly be nice and would save me from exporting midi and/or audio and going through the pain in the ass process of transferring my song to a different DAW and rewiring to use Live instruments and remixing, etc.

It's a pain in the ass. Again, I love Ableton, but I hate having to use other DAWs to get the job done. It would be much more convenient and affordable to have ONE program that can do it all. There are other DAWs like Cubase that achieve this. But like I said, I love Ableton Live for music production and I desperately want it to catch up to it's competitors to make my life a lot easier.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

+1 for 5.1 Surround