layered midi editing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
topaz

Re: layered midi editing

Post by topaz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:05 pm

keep the bumps coming.

Ableton, are you listening ?
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:49 am

alb13 wrote:Something like this?

MIDI Kitten dreams of a close future where this isn't just a mock-up.

topaz

Post by topaz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54 am

Ever get the felling that Ableton are not listening and that this will never happen ?
Last edited by topaz on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Ever get the feeling that their best devs left to form another company? :?
Garry Knight

maylortaylor

Post by maylortaylor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Garry Knight wrote:Ever get the feeling that their best devs left to form another company? :?

I think that's what happened.. Now they are just tweaking things. No REAL updates.

mcclaine

Post by mcclaine » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 am

maylortaylor wrote:
Garry Knight wrote:Ever get the feeling that their best devs left to form another company? :?

I think that's what happened.. Now they are just tweaking things. No REAL updates.
I really hope you are both wrong, cos i just bought my Push two weeks ago...

This feature, multiple midi editing is really a must.

Digital Junkie

Post by Digital Junkie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:14 am

Bump! :x

Dr A

Post by Dr A » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Yes. I would like to have this too - layered MIDI. I also would like for clips in Clip View to scroll from one to another as a MIDI track plays in Arrangement. That would be a big help with editing a MIDI track.

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Funmichi wrote:One thing I really miss in Live is the layered midi editing like in Pro Tools, Studio One or Bitwig. NOT as in Cubase or Logic where it is solved bad. You can see as shadows in the background MIDI notes of other clips which play with the clip you are editing. With a little sidebar you can set which clips you want to see as shadows in the background or even edit it together with a second option.

Oh yeah it is SO mUCH better to be able to see other tracks when you write one... another HUGE thing missing in live.

..my arrangements suffer because of this.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 am

1. Clip start positions

Another advantage of layered editing would be the possibility to adjust the clips' starting positions.

Right now, I'm adjusting a lead synth that goes on top of an 8 bar chord sequence. It sounds perfect on the first 5 bars, but I need to change it to fit the remaining ones. This involves jumping between clips to adjust their start position, and remembering to set it back to 1 when I'm finished.

2. Clips with different lengths

Regarding clips of different lengths, I imagine the solution could be to visually duplicate the shortest clip(s) to fit to the longest one, but keeping the original short clips' length.
If a one bar clip fills up 8 bars in layered view, it would show as 8 bars, but the original one would be 1 - unless a change is made in layered view, which could convert the original to 8 bars automatically. Hope that makes sense.

As I've said before, I would gladly pay the Live 10 upgrade price, just for this one feature.

Pietras Beats

Post by Pietras Beats » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Bump!

timday

Post by timday » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I'd love it but I think that if they were going to do it they'd have done it. I think it's a deliberate decision to keep the GUI slimmed down or whatever. Normally I agree with them on this but in this case they're missing a trick.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:56 am

Don't forget to go vote for this feature at Ableton's Centercode site: https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 6EEAB3263A

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel » Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 am

Please make this feature, Ableton. Composing in midi would become tremendously more intuitive and just a lot more fun and seamless. My workflow would definitely improve compared to the current clicking between channels when composing in midi.

Toryn

Post by Toryn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm

So, at least two different request threads on this topic here, with a total of 100+ requests, the first thread having been started all the way back in 2008.

Ableton, what is going on? It is ridiculous to make us beg for years for this without any meaningful update from you about when to expect this.

Every other DAW has had this feature for years now. It's also been 3+ years since the release of Ableton 9. When can we expect this?