Copy all "Key mapping" to another project

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nc2010

Copy all "Key mapping" to another project

Post by nc2010 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello,

I have defined a lot of useful keyboards keys in "Key mapping".
I even saved a blank projet with all these mappings as Ableton Live's default template: every time I start a new project, I have all my mappings.

Question: is there an easy way to copy all these "Key mappings" to some old projects?

thanks

rluk

Re: Copy all "Key mapping" to another project

Post by rluk » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Open a new empty project. Go to arrangemt view.
Drag in the project .als file you need to have new keybindings.
All should be in place except sends.

Collect all and save with different name.

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes but the SENDS, the Master automation, the Master FX will be lost ...

rluk

Post by rluk » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:31 pm

yup. Sorry, dont know of another way :)

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

so sad...

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm

If you wanna do it this way you should always START with your basic template.

What I often do is just save as from my last song and then get rid of everything I don't want when I start a new song.

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 am

> If you wanna do it this way you should always START with your basic template.

Please don't try to sell this as anything other than a serious defect.

I just got a new controller surface - I have a lot of old material and I had no idea when I wrote it in the past I was going to get this controller now, so how could I have STARTed with it?

Now I have to do a bunch of work in each song for nothing. And if I later discover new things about my new controller, I have to go and make any edits all over again in all the files I just changed.

It's been well over three years since this bug was reported. Soon it will enter my "five year bug list" of bugs that Ableton has known about for over five years and never addressed.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 am

It's not a bug though, you're just trying to do something that isn't supported and was never promised to be. I feel your frustration, but at the moment manual remapping is the only option with the way Live is designed.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 pm

It's not a "bug" in the way you mean it - but it's a serious feature deficiency that involves unnecessary and repetitive work for users. Ableton should be embarrassed by this beginner mistake, and in general at their wretched, execrable lack of response to years of reports of feature deficiencies.

I've been a professional programmer for over thirty years. I've even had to put keyboard shortcuts into programs I personally have designed and written before and - of course - I made it possible to use those keyboard shortcuts in more than one project. This is hardly brilliance - it's simply basic competence to do that.

If I had made it so that shortcuts were attached to a single project and could not be copied to another, no one would have accepted the "I intended it to be so lame" excuse.

I've never in my life done business with a software company that is less interested in fixing serious feature defects than Ableton. I've been moving away from it as a result, and it's a shame that this project I'm on now is forcing me travel yet again in this leaky boat.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:45 pm

A workaround in the meantime since you already have a template saved with your new key commands, is to open the new template, then navigate to your old projects in Live's browser. You can drag in all the tracks from the browser to the new project that way, with all your clips and effects as they were in the original project.

Feel free to make a suggestion on the beta forums, or upvote it if someone else has already suggested it if you would find global key commands helpful.

https://ableton.centercode.com
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm

I already have an account there from the last time someone told me that. I spent some few minutes the last time this came up to fill in my information apparently, with specs about my machine and my experience with Max and such.

However, there was and is nowhere on this site for my account at least to report bugs. I went through the very limited number of options with great care. The 10 minutes wasted last time setting up and the 3 minutes this time go into the great ledger of "time wasted on poorly-supported programs".

The last time I did that I seem to recall that someone on the thread said that bug reporting is not available to the general public - that it was initially turned on and then removed.

I'd welcome a place to report bugs!

TomSwirly

Post by TomSwirly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Does your workaround preserve automation?

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:05 am

Ableton, it's almost 2021, it's time. Make key bindings global already.

Ironlion

Post by Ironlion » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:53 pm

I don't know if this is helpful as it's not a direct solution to this problem; however, I've started using autohotkey to simplify some of the keystrokes required in Ableton. It helps my workflow and works accross projects. I just made a video about how I use autohotkey and a USB foot switch to simplify some the most repetitive actions in Ableton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eelkIJHEjZI
Clip Slot Looper for Ableton: https://performancelooper.com/shop/

Nowananda

Post by Nowananda » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 am

+1 to add "save key mapping GLOBALLY" as a feature.