Browser: Tags (ala Kontakt database)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sowhoso

Browser: Tags (ala Kontakt database)

Post by sowhoso » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:49 pm

please add tags functionality to further refine searches (ala Kontakt database)

btw, thank you for the browser improvements!

3osc

Re: Browser: Tags (ala Kontakt database)

Post by 3osc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 am

Yes! I thought about suggesting this myself. Super keen idea.

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:10 am

Lack of tags in Ableton Live 9 are preventing me from updating. I would have updated in a heartbeat if they'd developed such a system. :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Filtering attributes
I would be content with filter-able attributes ( eg: date-range, author, type, etc) as these attributes already exist and filtering them shouldn't affect any worry Ableton might have about tags. Filtering items via existing attributes like date ranges, BPMs and authors would speed up target acquisition immeasurably.

Defining "tags"
On the subject of "tags" - It's worth noting that there's a big difference between allowing users to enter their own abitrary textual tags (IMO this is bad), and being able to assign contextual tags from a bank as NI do (IMO this is good). User typed tags end up being misspelled gibberish, and don't translate or transfer between users and languages. While assignable attribute tags such as those NI use are transferable, translatable and easier to explain, use and maintain.

Any arbitrary textual tagging could take place in the "info text" meta, which ought to be able to be included / excluded from a search.

hec

Post by hec » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Angstrom wrote:Filtering attributes
I would be content with filter-able attributes ( eg: date-range, author, type, etc) as these attributes already exist and filtering them shouldn't affect any worry Ableton might have about tags. Filtering items via existing attributes like date ranges, BPMs and authors would speed up target acquisition immeasurably.

Defining "tags"
On the subject of "tags" - It's worth noting that there's a big difference between allowing users to enter their own abitrary textual tags (IMO this is bad), and being able to assign contextual tags from a bank as NI do (IMO this is good). User typed tags end up being misspelled gibberish, and don't translate or transfer between users and languages. While assignable attribute tags such as those NI use are transferable, translatable and easier to explain, use and maintain.

Any arbitrary textual tagging could take place in the "info text" meta, which ought to be able to be included / excluded from a search.
Agreed. Making it a standard is the way to go. I'm sure they've got this one on the radar now that Push is out. NI is way ahead of the DAW game when it comes to production tools. I think we'll start seeing a lot of their ideas make it to DAWs in the coming years.

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 am

Angstrom wrote:Filtering attributes

Some great points, all of which I could work with. It's possible to hack the note data out of the Ableton file format, you can even parse the file in notepad as it's stored as simple text in an XML layout.

Alternatively, one could write an external app to track updated Ableton files, decompress, parse & index the note data into an external database, AND then provide a user search box to search the external database for matching files which can then be dragged & dropped into the live session... In the right hands this could be done, but then I always think, shouldn't Live just do this out of the box? :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:49 am

burningfeetman wrote: Alternatively, one could write an external app to track updated Ableton files, decompress, parse & index the note data into an external database, AND then provide a user search box to search the external database for matching files which can then be dragged & dropped into the live session... In the right hands this could be done, but then I always think, shouldn't Live just do this out of the box? :(
it could be done, ;)

the problem is there are no real API hooks to allow the loading of externally selected content into Ableton Live's currently focused object. IE: load this thing into that location. There are API methods, but they won't accept the terms I can give it (from their database), they want some internal browser bollocks instead, as if I'd crawled the GUI not the data.

In fact, a while back I wrote something in M4L just to perform custom queries on their database ... only to find the API is sorely lacking in actual useful application methods to open the selected content which I'd queried/selected from their metadata. At least, I couldn't find any way of sending a specific item to a specific location in the application.

-----
LOOK, I have used the abomination (M4L)! And guess what, it got me nowhere.

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Yes Ableton, please add the ability to add tags to user created patches and sounds. It would be nice to be able to search the library with terms like: "minimal" AND "percussion" AND "metallic".

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Yes Ableton, please add the ability to add tags to user created patches and sounds. It would be nice to be able to search the library with terms like: "minimal" AND "percussion" AND "metallic".

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Wonder if such browser improvement will be found in Live 10. Can't wait to download and find out in a couple of months.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 pm

burningfeetman wrote:Wonder if such browser improvement will be found in Live 10. Can't wait to download and find out in a couple of months.
There is nothing of interest in the L10 browser, just a very limited user "collections" thing which everyone will soon find very pointless. As it misses the point by a hundred billion miles,

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 am

Angstrom wrote:
burningfeetman wrote:Wonder if such browser improvement will be found in Live 10. Can't wait to download and find out in a couple of months.
There is nothing of interest in the L10 browser, just a very limited user "collections" thing which everyone will soon find very pointless. As it misses the point by a hundred billion miles,
I can't believe that ableton has ignored such a basic request. Adding a few tricks to the browser to assist produces with searching/tagging instruments, racks & VSTs should be a piece a cake from a developers desk.

To think I wanted to throw money at them too... but due to the lack of such improvements, I'll be waiting for the demo first, will personally check things, and then wait until the next sale. =/