Live 9 arpeggiator + groove pool

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Smellhound

Live 9 arpeggiator + groove pool

Post by Smellhound » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Wondering why Live 9's arpeggiator doesn't include the ability to adjust to groove pools. At least give us the ability to adjust the swing amount. Going from straight to Dizzy Gillespie with nothing in between is not very useful. Please add this!

Zygi

Re: Live 9 arpeggiator + groove pool

Post by Zygi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 am

I thought it actually IS working that way for the basic 8/16/32 swings. It always was.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:47 am

There is no amount control - only does duple (straight) triple (swing) with no control to place it somewhere in between.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 am

You can set up a new MIDI track to receive MIDI from the arpeggiated track, record the MIDI into a clip, and drop the groove on that clip.

But in my opinion, it's easier (and more creative) to manually play or draw in the arpeggiated notes. With the new stretching features in the MIDI editor window, it's no hassle at all.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 am

I want to be able to play it live. It's much easier to be creative when you're not drawing notes. :/

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Another +1, suggested it during beta but they said they would put it on the back burner for maybe later. Would love to just drop a groove onto the arp and have adjustable swing amounts for it since using the global amount is hacky when it affects everything in your set when you might not want it to

To the op you can change the global groove amount at the bottom of the pool to tone down the amount of swing, but yea it will adjust the global amount with it so it might not be a great solution if you have other non-committed grooves in a set

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 am

+1 with regards the groove pool.

I still run Live 7 on my main studio desktop simply because I need to quickly dial in swing to fit the artists' pre-existing groove. Having to select swing from a menu of presets makes about as much sense as selecting tempo from a preset menu.

Not only has the whole groove pool become incredibly complex, it's now impossible to dial in or adjust the swing by percentage.

All we need is to be able to select 'swing 16' as the groove (for any clip/arp etc), then one dial to universally adjust between the traditional 50%-75% swing (much like it was in earlier versions).

Please, please, please restore some simple swing functionality as it used to be. While I appreciate the commercial pressures to 'make it just like an MPC' etc, the groove pool has come at a cost of the very functional swing control system that predated it. Sorry to rain on your parade Abes, but I find the whole groove pool a bit of a failure by comparison. To be honest it seems like an ill thought out concept. Even the structure and titles of the folders that contain the grooves make no sense at all. There's no real explanation anywhere of why this dogs breakfast of a groove system is in any way better than what we had before. Yes, now folks who have no idea about swing can use a preset MPC groove ... but they still can't adjust it. Folks who know how to use swing haven't been catered for here at all.

I've put up with this all the way through L8 and now it seems worse. At least in 8 I was able to 'fake' a similar setup to how 7 worked, but no more with L9. Now I'm going start complaining about it.

If there's a musically practical way to simply dial in swing, I'm all ears. If not, it's time to fix this mess up. If necessary, make the groove pool and swing system seperate options. Just please fix it. It's a joke the way it is. (swing presets? fixed swing on arps? wtf?)

PS in the meanwhile could Abes please provide some detailed advice on how the groove pool is actually supposed to be used. Perhaps we can then reverse engineer a functional swing adjustment technique. Or perhaps they could just let us know a workaround to achieve this using the current setup.

PPS ... Having just spent some more time with the new groove limitations on L9s' arp ... It really is bad isn't it? almost unusable except to record it and regroove it. How exceptionally ungroovy the arpegiator is now. :?: :?: :?:

animus

Post by animus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 am

i would enjoy this and i would like to be able to apply grooves to the looper effect as well.
~`~

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am

I've found a method to emulate the old (L7) global groove function; maybe obvious to some but I thought I'd share it anyway.

With an empty groove pool, select 'Swing 16-99' (in 'Swing' folder). Make sure it's 'Timing' field is set to 100%. Now turn 'Global Amount' down to 0%. Select 'Swing 16-99' for clips you want to swing and dial in required 'Global Amount'.

... additionally I've hooked a controller to dial in 'Global Amount' and set it's range from 0%-100%, then saved this as my template set.

What would work beautifully for me now would be; if we had a +/-'Global Amount Offset' parameter for individual clips, allowing you to increase or decrease swing for individual clips.

... and give the arpegiator access to the groove pool/global amount just like any clip.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 am

Bump.. we need this