All times are UTC

Post subject: ABLETON HARDWARE UNIT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm 

I came up with this idea some years ago back when I was searching for a decent sampler/midi sequencer/composer.
Building a whole setup with laptop, midi controller, soundcard, usb cables, etc.. seemed very laborious and time consuming to me so I started wondering why do I still need a laptop for using ableton. It would be nice If I had one solid unit with a touch display, rotary buttons, faders, push buttons but also audio ins/outs,midi in/out. The MPC came pretty close to what I was searching for but I found its user interface pretty outdated and time consuming also my mpc1000 is very limited when it comes to looping, visual feedback on pads and it has no synthesizer built in for example.

So my idea was to build an interface which has all the ableton synths, fx, samples, sequencer etc.. like Ableton in a (real) box or something like that.
I still have some drawings I made for this concept.

Post subject: Re: ABLETON HARDWARE UNIT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm 

i've often thought it would be nice to have cute little midi controllers that were specificly built for instruments.

like one for operator, or analog :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm 

that would be nice too indeed, there are some DIY kits for building your own custom midi controllers on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

Eklektric wrote:
I came up with this idea some years ago back when I was searching for a decent sampler/midi sequencer/composer.
Building a whole setup with laptop, midi controller, soundcard, usb cables, etc.. seemed very laborious and time consuming to me so I started wondering why do I still need a laptop for using ableton. It would be nice If I had one solid unit with a touch display, rotary buttons, faders, push buttons but also audio ins/outs,midi in/out.

iPad?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 pm 

Last edited by locknar on Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 pm 

those OPEN LABS computers (Miko LXD) look kinda funny :)

it should look more like an Ableton Push controller, but without the laptop.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:15 pm 

delicioso wrote:
Eklektric wrote:
Building a whole setup with laptop, midi controller, soundcard, usb cables, etc.. seemed very laborious and time consuming to me so I started wondering why do I still need a laptop for using ableton. It would be nice If I had one solid unit with a touch display, rotary buttons, faders, push buttons but also audio ins/outs,midi in/out.

iPad?

I want to fiddle with real buttons, knobs and faders, not on a touchscreen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm 

Eklektric wrote:
delicioso wrote:
Eklektric wrote:

iPad?

I want to fiddle with real buttons, knobs and faders, not on a touchscreen.

You can still fiddle with real buttons, knobs and faders as well as audio ins/outs and midi in/out. You have a lot of options like the iO dock and any class compliant usb controllers and audio/midi interfaces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUvVvAieSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frN-kGKV5BM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folGY9MRql8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 am 

Eklektric wrote:
Building a whole setup with laptop, midi controller, soundcard, usb cables, etc.. seemed very laborious and time consuming to me so I started wondering why do I still need a laptop for using ableton. It would be nice If I had one solid unit with a touch display, rotary buttons, faders, push buttons but also audio ins/outs,midi in/out. The MPC came pretty close to what I was searching for but I found its user interface pretty outdated and time consuming also my mpc1000 is very limited when it comes to looping, visual feedback on pads and it has no synthesizer built in for example.

So my idea was to build an interface which has all the ableton synths, fx, samples, sequencer etc.. like Ableton in a (real) box or something like that.

MusicComputing Inc. might have what you are looking for. They are based in Austin, TX, some NIKO employees now work there.

Control Touch 25
Control Touch 61
Studio Blade 61 Gen 3 with touch screen.

They also have Enterprise DAW performance solutions.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am 

miekwave wrote:
Eklektric wrote:

MusicComputing Inc. might have what you are looking for. They are based in Austin, TX, some NIKO employees now work there.

Control Touch 25
Control Touch 61
Studio Blade 61 Gen 3 with touch screen.

They also have Enterprise DAW performance solutions.

I think this looks kinda funny, it has to look more sexy, compact and less pricey, like the push controller or an mpc

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:07 pm 

Have you even seen any of the promotional vids for Push? Their whole campaign is that you don't have to look at your laptop, and it seems to work very well. Throw an iPad in the mix,and you get that touchscreen that you want. You still need the laptop open to actually run the software.

Are you saying that you want a device, that, in and of itself, stores samples, and runs and controls Ableton?

the_muffin_man :D :) 8O

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 am 

yes, I have seen the promo vids (ofcourse) but you still need a laptop
too bad ableton is not available for iPad

yes I want one device that stores samples, and runs and controls Ableton.