All times are UTC

Post subject: Midi mapping External MIDI sync button ("EXT" at top left)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm 

Hi,

It would be really useful if the EXT button can be midi mappable. I want to assign it to a footswitch. I'm assuming there's a reason why it has not been included as a midi mappable function, but I don't have a clue as to why...thx

Post subject: Re: Midi mapping External MIDI sync button ("EXT" at top left)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm 

It's not included because there's no good reason to switch from internal to external sync on the fly 8O

What are you doing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm 

I'm using [Ableton Live 9 + APC40 & footswitch] as a sampler/looper and 'effects unit' alongside [Traktor Scratch Pro 2 + mixer & two turntables]

I've got Live 9 synced to Traktor's Master clock. The master clock is fed a BPM by the 'deck' that is in focus (being played the most out of the two). Traktor also has a 'sync' feature which sends out a downbeat with the clock (the "1" beat) and it is MIDI mappable, so what I've done is I've mapped that to the footswitch connected to Live which begins to record a clip, and it works really well. The problem is when I've finished recording a loop into Ableton Live and I start scratching with the turntable, the Master clock gets fed the position/speed/direction information from the control vinyl in Traktor which in turn sends that info to Ableton causing the audio from the loop playback to slow down and speed up.. I'd like to MIDI map the EXT button to the footswitch button which I press to end the recording of the loop, that way Ableton will continue playing the clip/loop at the recorded speed and I can scratch away happily :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am 

doghouse wrote:
It's not included because there's no good reason to switch from internal to external sync on the fly 8O

What are you doing?

Evil things are going on you know :twisted:

+1 I want to do this also. (for different reasons)

As a matter of fact as a general rule every button of a software should be mappable to access to the status of being a "good software"

I was surprised first time I saw some couldn"t be mapped > like the switch button between arrangement and session...
a save and undo mappable button could be cool also when you're standing up with instrument in your hand & that reaching for the keyboard of the computer seems suddenly a perilous move...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:15 pm 

Is there a way to assign a mouse click to a MIDI message? I was thinking of hovering my mouse over the EXT button and using something like Bome's MIDI translator or Quickeys... but not sure if it will work with mouse clicking...

Would love it if we could just assign the EXT button to a MIDI control...

Is it excluded from the MIDI because it only appears when Ableton is receiving MIDI clock from external source(s)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm 

Yeah Bomes or autohotkey or glovepie might be worth checking out for this.