Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Kriippaa
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Kriippaa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Updated to macbook pro retina in october and i'm getting sick of this pixelated live. Can't believe Ableton team haven't said anything yet about this thing. Very frustrating to produce music when interface is just blurry mess :?
Ableton should realise that more and more people are getting retina screens and altough the program is great and stable it should look better than some old 80's nintendo game.
And yes, I think there will be people whining like little kids about this problem so long as the retina update comes.

halblaine
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by halblaine » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:45 pm

I thought this was an official reply, but turns out it's just a user comment from here
fargo100
10 votes
Taken from the Ableton forum - not my work, but yes this is true and works..

Most people don't realize, Ableton Live 8 already technically has Retina support. It's just not activated.

This is possible thanks to the fact that Live's UI is rendered as vector elements, not as raster (pixel) elements. They hide this away in the preferences under the name of "Zoom"; and for anyone familiar with Mac development, Retina support is simply the the addition of @2x resolution image assets. If we "zoom" Live's UI to 200%, we have a Retina UI. The difficulty comes in telling Live to draw at 200% under native resolution, not upscaled resolution.

Here's a screenshot of Live running on a 15" Macbook Pro, fully Retina and fully working.

http://cl.ly/image/1i372o1N353T

In order to achieve this, I used an app called ResolutionTab, which can be found on the App Store, to switch the Retina display to Native resolution of 2880x1800. I then went to Preferences and set the Zoom to 200%.

Now, of course, the surrounding OS UI, everything but the main Live window is tiny; and we'd have to use System Preferences to double our cursor size and cursor speed. This is purely a proof-of-concept that anyone can follow along with to demonstrate that Retina support is possible in Live, we merely need to convince Ableton to implement this 200% zoom on Retina Macs.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:29 am

Kriippaa wrote:Updated to macbook pro retina in october and i'm getting sick of this pixelated live. Can't believe Ableton team haven't said anything yet about this thing. Very frustrating to produce music when interface is just blurry mess :?
Ableton should realise that more and more people are getting retina screens and altough the program is great and stable it should look better than some old 80's nintendo game.
And yes, I think there will be people whining like little kids about this problem so long as the retina update comes.
That's your fault, not ableton's :p
Image

fargo100
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by fargo100 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Kriippaa wrote:Updated to macbook pro retina in october....
That's your fault, not ableton's :p
Is it? Maybe not Pencilcocket...
June 2012 Macbook Retina was released..
Ableton were working on Live 9 update.. Released in Feb 2013.
It's now nearly 2014...

Now take for example you buy a new Macbook Pro in October like Kriippaa has.. It may be work, study, pleasure whatever the individual chooses that person is updating their machine to keep up with technology, almost Moore's Law territory. They may have had an old 1999 iMac or they may have had a previous MacBook without Retina... Does it matter? No. They have updated their hardware.
Now although the hardware and software is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.. It seems to be here that Apple have moved forward with the Retina display and that is what will eventually be everywhere in all Macs and PCs and other peripherals etc.
So this leaves Ableton behind.. they have got to update their software to work with the new hardware.

It may not important to anyone without a Retina capable machine I wholeheartedly agree it's the sound/audio that should come first, but this visual mess is important and Ableton should take note, this could probably be fixed very easily and very quickly if the GUI 'development/whoever's' got to it - Ableton Live is a fairly simple GUI with much of itself repeating like faders/knobs etc. theres no skeuomorphism with Live.
And IF Ableton do not get with it people will get fed up of looking at and working on a piece of software that looks terrible... I'm currently using more of Logic than Ableton at the moment, how many more users will do the same??

halblaine
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by halblaine » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm

The macbook is the premier computer for creatives period. The retina was the flagship model, but it is now the standard. So if you buy a 15'' macbook today, Live will look bad.

The annoying thing is that since Live uses vector graphics, they don't have to create anything new. This is something that could be fixed with a few lines of code

fargo100
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by fargo100 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 pm

halblaine wrote:The annoying thing is that since Live uses vector graphics, they don't have to create anything new. This is something that could be fixed with a few lines of code

Any coders out there?? I'd have a go...if I knew what I was looking for..

Kriippaa
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Kriippaa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:54 pm

fargo100 wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
Kriippaa wrote:Updated to macbook pro retina in october....
That's your fault, not ableton's :p
Is it? Maybe not Pencilcocket...
June 2012 Macbook Retina was released..
Ableton were working on Live 9 update.. Released in Feb 2013.
It's now nearly 2014...

Now take for example you buy a new Macbook Pro in October like Kriippaa has.. It may be work, study, pleasure whatever the individual chooses that person is updating their machine to keep up with technology, almost Moore's Law territory. They may have had an old 1999 iMac or they may have had a previous MacBook without Retina... Does it matter? No. They have updated their hardware.
Now although the hardware and software is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.. It seems to be here that Apple have moved forward with the Retina display and that is what will eventually be everywhere in all Macs and PCs and other peripherals etc.
So this leaves Ableton behind.. they have got to update their software to work with the new hardware.

It may not important to anyone without a Retina capable machine I wholeheartedly agree it's the sound/audio that should come first, but this visual mess is important and Ableton should take note, this could probably be fixed very easily and very quickly if the GUI 'development/whoever's' got to it - Ableton Live is a fairly simple GUI with much of itself repeating like faders/knobs etc. theres no skeuomorphism with Live.
And IF Ableton do not get with it people will get fed up of looking at and working on a piece of software that looks terrible... I'm currently using more of Logic than Ableton at the moment, how many more users will do the same??
That sums up my thoughts pretty well. Live's great audio features are the number one but the point is that more and more people are having retina screen now and this is not what ableton's sequencer interface should look like in 2013.
Also imo stupid to say it's customer's fault. I bought new macbook for music production and upcoming college studies (also music). Should I have bought the old macbook with features not enough for my needs only because then I could see live without that 8bit look and now it's my fault because I bought laptop with screen that will be default dpi in near future?

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 pm

fargo100 wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
Kriippaa wrote:Updated to macbook pro retina in october....
That's your fault, not ableton's :p
Is it? Maybe not Pencilcocket...
June 2012 Macbook Retina was released..
Ableton were working on Live 9 update.. Released in Feb 2013.
It's now nearly 2014...

Now take for example you buy a new Macbook Pro in October like Kriippaa has.. It may be work, study, pleasure whatever the individual chooses that person is updating their machine to keep up with technology, almost Moore's Law territory. They may have had an old 1999 iMac or they may have had a previous MacBook without Retina... Does it matter? No. They have updated their hardware.
Now although the hardware and software is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.. It seems to be here that Apple have moved forward with the Retina display and that is what will eventually be everywhere in all Macs and PCs and other peripherals etc.
So this leaves Ableton behind.. they have got to update their software to work with the new hardware.

It may not important to anyone without a Retina capable machine I wholeheartedly agree it's the sound/audio that should come first, but this visual mess is important and Ableton should take note, this could probably be fixed very easily and very quickly if the GUI 'development/whoever's' got to it - Ableton Live is a fairly simple GUI with much of itself repeating like faders/knobs etc. theres no skeuomorphism with Live.
And IF Ableton do not get with it people will get fed up of looking at and working on a piece of software that looks terrible... I'm currently using more of Logic than Ableton at the moment, how many more users will do the same??
Please show us the screenshot of the page ableton claimed "Live9 supports Retina", thanks. Changing environment without checking compatibility is users' fault not developers'.

Being too lazy to check the compatibility, bought new devices to find out it's not supported, never admit his own fault and commit himself to blaming devs for slow development. Nice try trollz.
Last edited by pencilrocket on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

fargo100
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by fargo100 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 am

fargo100 wrote:
Is it? Maybe not Pencilcocket...
June 2012 Macbook Retina was released..
Ableton were working on Live 9 update.. Released in Feb 2013.
It's now nearly 2014...

Now take for example you buy a new Macbook Pro in October like Kriippaa has.. It may be work, study, pleasure whatever the individual chooses that person is updating their machine to keep up with technology, almost Moore's Law territory. They may have had an old 1999 iMac or they may have had a previous MacBook without Retina... Does it matter? No. They have updated their hardware.
Now although the hardware and software is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.. It seems to be here that Apple have moved forward with the Retina display and that is what will eventually be everywhere in all Macs and PCs and other peripherals etc.
So this leaves Ableton behind.. they have got to update their software to work with the new hardware.

It may not important to anyone without a Retina capable machine I wholeheartedly agree it's the sound/audio that should come first, but this visual mess is important and Ableton should take note, this could probably be fixed very easily and very quickly if the GUI 'development/whoever's' got to it - Ableton Live is a fairly simple GUI with much of itself repeating like faders/knobs etc. theres no skeuomorphism with Live.
And IF Ableton do not get with it people will get fed up of looking at and working on a piece of software that looks terrible... I'm currently using more of Logic than Ableton at the moment, how many more users will do the same??
pencilrocket wrote:Please show us the screenshot of the page ableton claimed "Live9 supports Retina", thanks. Changing environment without checking compatibility is users' fault not developers'.
Hmm?? Pencilcocket..?? Please show me where I said there was a screenshot that said "Live9 supports Retina"... ??? You smokin meth or something ??
Last edited by fargo100 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:17 am

I was just reluctunt to reply seriously to one who says easy to fix.
Image

halblaine
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by halblaine » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:49 pm

At least pencilrocket's trolling supports the cause by driving up the post count

Tarekith
Posts: 17598
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:37 am

It's like an auto-bump, I was thinking the same thing.

Kriippaa
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Kriippaa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Please show us the screenshot of the page ableton claimed "Live9 supports Retina", thanks. Changing environment without checking compatibility is users' fault not developers'.

Being too lazy to check the compatibility, bought new devices to find out it's not supported, never admit his own fault and commit himself to blaming devs for slow development. Nice try trollz.
The point is not customer's fault for not checking the compatibility. The point is that ableton's visual features are becoming outdated to our technology (higher dpi in most new computers in near future). And that's why the whole thread is for. Seriously you must be trolling or some kind troubled mind for blaming people here asking retina support.

Razzkazz
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Razzkazz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:08 pm

+1 retina support please :roll:
MBPr 2.0, MOTU Ultralite, Behringer BCR2000, Akai LPD8, Push, Clyphx Pro
-----------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/alangleeson
https://soundcloud.com/boogiemannstantropic
https://alangleeson.net/

HamHat
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by HamHat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:36 am

What's everyone gonna ask for after Retina display? If it ever happens that is.

Post Reply