Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
jlgrimes
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm

102455 wrote:
Aldanor wrote:are they just suffering through it every workday or do they have a secret in-house build of Live with Retina support?
They probably connect their Macs to standard resolution displays.

Maybe they are PC users. :D

Really though I'm sure that they has to know about this. I'm guessing that they are working on it but are very busy. I'm sure they are juggling lots of conflicting features right now, Retina Support, PDC, Keeping up with Bitwig, Working on unique new features of their own, other bug fixes.

That said I think something like Retina Support would hopefully be fixed in an 9.x update. I would think that new Retina Mac owners who are new to Live and try out the demo might get turned off especially at an immediately glaring issue like that.

mr.ergonomics
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:41 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Tarekith wrote:The other thread wasn't quite right. You can change the resolution to mimic non retina resolutions, but scales the graphics when you do so. So you might be able to get rid of the fuzziness people see here, but at the expense of all the graphics being twice as big, including your mouse pointer.
:x lame.

sorry.
Are you sure that it's not another problem? There are also posts that this works fine with mbpr:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186486&start=15#wrapheader

I would prefer a higher resolution than native retina in any case.
I just tested it myself with a retina macbook and it looks fine when you use the highest resolution (for 15" 1900x1200, 13" 1650x1050). As I prefer a higher resolution anyway (more usable screen size, I can't see a reason to use live on a 15" with 1400x900) this is imho really a usable solution.

fargo100
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by fargo100 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:I just tested it myself with a retina macbook and it looks fine when you use the highest resolution (for 15" 1900x1200, 13" 1650x1050). As I prefer a higher resolution anyway (more usable screen size, I can't see a reason to use live on a 15" with 1400x900) this is imho really a usable solution.
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O MaGnIfYInG gLAsSesS to ThE ReaDY 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

clowpro
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by clowpro » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:05 pm

+1 THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN! LET'S GO ABLETON!

jbw
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jbw » Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 am

Just invested in a rMBP. Count me in as one who would like to see retina support added sooner rather than later. :mrgreen:

sumolounge
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by sumolounge » Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 pm

+1 from here too. It really doesn't matter on which resolution one uses Live on a retina MBP, because either just Live is blurry or everything is blurry.

From a visual designer point of view the UI looks like it's made with simple vector shapes so I wouldn't think it to be too much of a burden to make it scale up nicely on retina resolutions. How the UI framework is implemented, however, is completely another story.

All in all, please Ableton make this happen.

Yours,
Jukka from sunny Helsinki

jbw
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jbw » Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 pm

jbw wrote:Just invested in a rMBP. Count me in as one who would like to see retina support added sooner rather than later. :mrgreen:
Have to say, after spending some time with my new rMBP it's almost embarrassing to see Ableton not up to par with supporting Retina display. I use my laptop for a number of things and use a handful of different programs and Live is the only one that doesn't support Retina! This might not be notable except that the other programs I have are from lesser known companies with fewer employees.

This thread is now growing a massive beard it's so old. Retina support in Live is long overdue. Come on Ableton, this does not shine well upon you.

Yes, it is entirely possible to make music without Retina support in Live, but it makes Live feel like a dated program. On top of that it is indeed cumbersome to have a strain on your eyes with blurry text over an extended period of time.

I'm very close to going back to Logic because of this. That's not a threat, that would be stupid. I'm just saying, get your shit together Ableton! It's pathetic for you to carry on like this.

DJ CROE
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by DJ CROE » Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

+1 As a user, I want to be able to use Ableton Live 9 with high resolution graphics for retina screens. This will provide a better user experience and allow for precision when using the software.

Please give us feedback along these lines so we know when to expect it. Thanks!

jlgrimes
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jlgrimes » Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 am

DJ CROE wrote:+1 As a user, I want to be able to use Ableton Live 9 with high resolution graphics for retina screens. This will provide a better user experience and allow for precision when using the software.

Please give us feedback along these lines so we know when to expect it. Thanks!

On the bright side the lack of this feature might save me some money. I'm looking for a new laptop and will probably get the MacBook Air instead.

Tarekith
Posts: 17430
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 13, 2014 12:27 am

That's no fun, don't do that :)

Dancho
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by Dancho » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 am

jlgrimes wrote:
DJ CROE wrote:+1 As a user, I want to be able to use Ableton Live 9 with high resolution graphics for retina screens. This will provide a better user experience and allow for precision when using the software.

Please give us feedback along these lines so we know when to expect it. Thanks!

On the bright side the lack of this feature might save me some money. I'm looking for a new laptop and will probably get the MacBook Air instead.
I do not think Ableton team will tell us when we should expect the retina support , (if it ever comes) I am personally not very pleased from the Ableton support and let say and the program itself is missing too many important features and they even keep the price high for a broken image and lack of thousand things all around the program.

S4racen
Posts: 5289
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by S4racen » Sun May 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Anyone noticed how many posters in this thread have less than ten posts? How very strange...

Cheers
D

jbw
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by jbw » Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm

S4racen wrote:Anyone noticed how many posters in this thread have less than ten posts? How very strange...

Cheers
D
Just proves that even non trolls want to see Retina support. :wink:

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by H20nly » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

:lol:

umfufu
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:35 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by umfufu » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm

+1 for Retina support.
PRETTY PLEASE?!

It looks really terrible as is.

Post Reply