Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Update LIVE 9 for RETINA !!!

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 pm

xer4111 wrote:Latest news shows a producer on stage with a RETINA laptop running Live.

.... the people who spend the larger sums on high-end Mac laptops are your more qualified customers. We spend more money than other people on quality tools.
solid logic.

i saw a producer on stage wearing a mouse head. come on Ableton we need mouse heads!! WTF!?!

i have lots of hats. more than most people so i am more important. my hat rack is bar none. listen to me Ableton!

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 am

H20nly wrote:
xer4111 wrote:Latest news shows a producer on stage with a RETINA laptop running Live.

.... the people who spend the larger sums on high-end Mac laptops are your more qualified customers. We spend more money than other people on quality tools.
solid logic.

i saw a producer on stage wearing a mouse head. come on Ableton we need mouse heads!! WTF!?!

i have lots of hats. more than most people so i am more important. my hat rack is bar none. listen to me Ableton!
Gee, I guess I have to be a little more "literal" for some readers. The "solid logic" that you've completely missed is that at the top of the Ableton news feed is a feature photo of a high-end producer who is obviously running Live on a Retina Laptop - which indicates clearly that the top-end BUYING PUBLIC of Ableton is people who are using Retina displays as their performance computer of choice. THEREFORE, LOGICALLY, it stands to reason that ABLETON would want to cater to THAT public and ensure THEY have what they are requesting, which is support of the sharp visuals possible on the retina display, and not ignore all these requests as being "a sideline that isn't significant enough to be given high priority."

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "look at how many cool hats I have..." It has everything to do with supporting the tools of choice of your high-paying customers.

There, I hope my simpleton logic now makes some sense to you, oh high sophisticated one....

Clear enough? Or would you like to "stand tall" on attacking what was, in fact, a pretty simple point simply emphasizing the need for support of retina displays.

Post by 102455 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 pm

xer4111 wrote:your high-paying customers.
Hang on..... you're implying that because you spent more money on a Mac, Ableton should treat you as a higher class citizen?

You said "we spend more money than other people on quality tools". Well you didn't spend more on Live.

Live is the same price whether you own an overpriced Apple product or a generic £200 netbook. Sounds to me like you need to get down off your high horse. You're not better than anyone else because you bought a Mac!

:P

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 pm

+1

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 am

102455 wrote:
xer4111 wrote:your high-paying customers.
Hang on..... you're implying that because you spent more money on a Mac, Ableton should treat you as a higher class citizen?

You said "we spend more money than other people on quality tools". Well you didn't spend more on Live.

Live is the same price whether you own an overpriced Apple product or a generic £200 netbook. Sounds to me like you need to get down off your high horse. You're not better than anyone else because you bought a Mac!

:P
This is a thread about requests for adding retina display support. It's really just that. Anyone who purchased a retina display Macbook Pro has spent probably a good chunk more money than an equivalent power of a PC laptop. That doesn't make them "better" and I didn't say anything of the kind.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with being a first class citizen or a second class citizen. I really wish people would just take the post at it's face value and not read a bunch of socio-political significance into it.

The entire purpose of posting to this thread was to add another bit of weight to the case being made for adding retina support in Albeton Live.

I used a reference to very simple business-minded marketing orientation, by pointing to "higher paying customers." That is a business marketing concept. If you don't agree with it, fine. But the fact of the matter is that most businesses base their business model on where they are going to get the most revenue/profit, and people that pay more money or are willing to invest more money to purchase high quality products from high quality vendors ARE a specific type of market that DOES exist. Perhaps Ableton doesn't give a s**t about this type of marketing viewpoint, in which case my point will fall on deaf ears.

But for people to attack the post because I seem to be pulling some kind of "status" thing, is really kind of idiotic.

I'm an artist. I've been purchasing upgrades to Ableton Live since version 2. I've recently invested some focused money (and no, I'm not a trust fund kid nor some leisure class snob, so shut the f**k up about it) on an upgrade to my equipment as a matter of upping my game.

I think it's worth plugging Ableton (as a number of people have been doing) to give some attention and priority to adding retina display support to their product, so that the growing number of artists who make that jump will enjoy the added benefit of the sharper visuals on the interface.

I'm sorry if that just doesn't sit right with a few other posters, but I though I could contribute something to supporting this thread. That's all there is to it, nothing more nothing less.

fargo100

Post by fargo100 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 am

The entire purpose of posting to this thread was to add another bit of weight to the case being made for adding retina support in Albeton Live.

I think it's worth plugging Ableton (as a number of people have been doing) to give some attention and priority to adding retina display support to their product, so that the growing number of artists who make that jump will enjoy the added benefit of the sharper visuals on the interface.
+1 Thank you.

It's been well over a year that I have been using Live 8 and since it's release 9 on a Retina Macbook.

My eyes hurt 8O

Aldanor

Post by Aldanor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm

+1

ABOUT TIME!

Btw it's not only the Macs anymore: Toshiba, Samsung and others now make laptops with Retina-type displays, so the number is only going to grow.

Most web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safare) now have integrated Retina support, why can't Ableton listen to the users and do it? I can't believe re-rendering the fonts and UI at @2x resolution could be that hard, it's more of a chore than a technical problem.

/rant off

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 am

Can't believe this is not a thing. How many man hours would this update take?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:16 am

About 760

hotel17

Post by hotel17 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:42 am

couldn't believe that Live had no retina support.... very disappointed it doesn't.
It looks awful

Post by 102455 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 am

You guys should all contact Ableton directly (and individually) about it rather than posting here and moaning amongst yourselves.

fargo100

Post by fargo100 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 am

102455 wrote:You guys should all contact Ableton directly (and individually) about it rather than posting here and moaning amongst yourselves.
Right then let's do it...
I'll contact them now...

Everyone on it :?: :?: :wink:

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 am

I just politely asked artistrelations@ableton.com if a Retina update is in the works

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you want to use Ableton Live on a Retina display MacBook Pro, the graphical user interface (GUI) will operate properly and work in every standard resolution.

Currently, Ableton Live is not optimized for the resolution on Retina Displays and I have no information regarding when this will be available.

For the latest information I recommend subscribing to the our newsletter. You can subscribe from here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/account/

Thanks for your understanding and please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Vanessa

vrprorg

Post by vrprorg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:27 am

The problem really is that the entire application uses custom objects. That includes graphics as well as text objects. Even the File open/save dialog is looking rubbish on a Retina MacBook, which indicates that Live does not use OSX's standard interface. The red/yellow/green buttons in the top left corner (to close, minimise and maximize the window) are different, home-made objects too. And has anyone noticed that Live does not support OSX's full screen feature either? Well, apparently, the whole Live application is built into its very own "box".

So, no, I guess, it is actually not that easy to "just" switch on Retina and full screen support for the OSX version. Most likely, the Windows and OSX version do share quite a lot of code, and the GUI (graphical user interface) is just bolted onto the core functionality (audio, midi and all that).

I suppose - from own software development experience, not from knowing any actual details.

But I completely agree. It looks like a piece of crap - even GarageBand is Retina optimized and looks like the crispest thing you could imagine.