Bump for NRPN support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tomheavybeats

Re: Bump for NRPN support

Post by tomheavybeats » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
tomheavybeats wrote:i have andromeda a6, with Live 10 now supporting sysex in Max 4 Live, will we be able to control a6 parameters? im guessing if so, we'll have to wait for someone to write an A6 m4l device or is there generic device that can be mapped?
AFAIK sysex support is available also for Live 9, maybe not Ableton branded. I haven't actually tried this though, so I'm unaware on how well it works.
Oh right, basically I'm trying to get this plugin that controls the Andromeda (works fine in Reaper) to work in Ableton:

https://analogdessert.com/downloads/ale ... st-editor/

Couldn't get it to work so far but I'll keep trying I guess??

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 pm

tomheavybeats wrote: Oh right, basically I'm trying to get this plugin that controls the Andromeda (works fine in Reaper) to work in Ableton:

Did you search for Max For Live tools for Sysex? Is this is some kind of editor for hardware?
Make some music!

tomheavybeats

Post by tomheavybeats » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
tomheavybeats wrote: Oh right, basically I'm trying to get this plugin that controls the Andromeda (works fine in Reaper) to work in Ableton:

Did you search for Max For Live tools for Sysex? Is this is some kind of editor for hardware?
Yeah this is a VST device that controls paraemters on Alesis Andromeda A6 hardware synth but the synth only receives sysex so can't use in Live. I've found some Midi and sysex tools for Live but unfortunately its a bit beyond me to setup. I've bought the Live 10 upgrade and apparently it will handle sysex natively in M4L so I guess i'll have to wait for someone to write an A6 M4L device!

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Spectrasonics just released 2.5 with the amazing Hardware Control.

Guess what, Live does not support it, why. because since 2003 users have been asking but still NO NRPN.

nice one.
Last edited by topaz on Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 09, 2018 8:35 pm

topaz wrote:Spectrasonics just released 2.5 with the amazing Hardware Control.

Guess what, Live does not support it, why. because after all this year still NO NRPN.

nice one.
Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer for me as well. Would love to use my OB-6 to control Omni 2.5 in Live, but for now that's not possible.

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Doubt it ever will be.
Tarekith wrote: Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer for me as well. Would love to use my OB-6 to control Omni 2.5 in Live, but for now that's not possible.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 pm

what? no NRPN support in it now? wtf? :evil:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm

OK. reality check. What does the new Sysex MFL tools do? What do they not do? Limitations? Possibilities?
Make some music!

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 am

Stromkraft wrote:OK. reality check. What does the new Sysex MFL tools do? What do they not do? Limitations? Possibilities?
As far as I understand there are 2 main hurdles for getting NRPN flowing correctly:

1. A running status stack/cache needs to be maintained for switching between parameters.
2. The messages need to be represented by a single automation parameter for easy editing.

I have skirted around the problem and it seems like at least a clunky M4L solution is possible.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:
topaz wrote:Spectrasonics just released 2.5 with the amazing Hardware Control.

Guess what, Live does not support it, why. because after all this year still NO NRPN.

nice one.
Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer for me as well. Would love to use my OB-6 to control Omni 2.5 in Live, but for now that's not possible.
Ran into this yesterday - was trying to use my Prophet 6 to control Omni 2.5 - bummer.

There is a M4L "solution" that might help you, Tarekith - it was designed specifically for the OB6. I tried it with my Prophet - sometimes it worked, sometimes I didn't. It seemed pretty unreliable, but maybe because I have the P6 and not the OB (I figured they should be very similar in terms of MIDI to NRPN translation, but I know nothing).

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... controller

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Tarekith wrote:Thanks for the heads up.
Anytime, mate,

Alex Wolf

Post by Alex Wolf » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:56 am

Bump for NRPN support from me as well. I'm a CodeKnobs user and working with my OB-6 is a hot mess. It works some of the time, but will frequently give you wacky results and require a re-load of an older version of the set and a reboot of the synth to get it back to its original state.

Analog Dessert

Post by Analog Dessert » Tue May 05, 2020 1:41 am

Hi All! You might be excited to know that I implemented MIDI CC NRPN control into my Alesis Andromeda A6 VST --- and now works in Ableton Live 10.1 as a VST, and allows you to control the entirety of the Andromeda inside Ableton, with Envelope Lanes, or however you want!

I just released an updated version 0.9.0 of my Andromeda A6 VST / Editor @ https://analogdessert.com/downloads/ale ... st-editor/

Cheers :)

bluetwo

Post by bluetwo » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:52 am

Has this been addressed yet? I'm thinking of getting a Hydrasynth Deluxe and for a DAW so focused on performance features it surprised me to learn that Live never had good NRPN support to control and sequence synth parameters in much higher resolution in a live scenario. A surprisingly long list of synths over the years have been designed to exploit NRPN, after all.