All times are UTC

Post subject: nothing in the plugin folder
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hi,
I just downloaded the live 9 free trial (32 bit). Trying to install a vst plugin, I set the custom folder in the preferences window to my vst folder and did a rescan. Nothing appears in the plugin window in Ableton (even after restarting the program). What am I doing wrong?
Thanks a lot for any help,
Patrick

EDIT: just realized that my message is posted in the wrong thread ("Feature Wishlist"). I went as suggested to the address https://www.ableton.com/answers but I'm not able to post any question on this site (even if I'm registered, don't know why, any help that would show me how to post there would be very appreciated)

Post subject: Re: nothing in the plugin folder
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:07 pm 

Try just using the standard location rather than a custom one.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:15 pm 

Thank you for your answer Frank. What is the standard folder? (in the Preferences window, I just have a custom folder option under the Files Folder tab)
Patrick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:31 pm 

mac or pc?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 pm 

Sorry, I forgot to mention it: PC.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 pm 

Ah, I just checked the manual and for PC you only have the option of the custom one. Sorry, didn't know it was different.

17.3 VST Plug-Ins 17.3.1 The VST Plug-In Folder
When you start Live for the first time, you will need to activate your VST Plug-in sources before working with VST Plug-ins. Depending on your computer platform, you may also have to tell Live about the location of the VST Plug-in folder containing the devices you want to use. In order to set up your VST sources, press the Activate button in the browser’s Plug-In panel, or open the File/Folder Preferences by pressing [CTRL][,](PC) / [CMD][,](Mac). There you will find the Plug- In Sources section.
Working with Instruments and Effects 231
Setting up VST Plug-In Sources for Windows.
For Windows, proceed as follows:
1. Use the VST Plug-In Custom Folder entry to tell Live about the location of your VST Plug-ins: Click the Browse button to open a folder-search dialog for locating and selecting the ap- propriate folder.
2. Once you have selected a VST Custom Folder and Live has scanned it, the path will be displayed. Note that, on Windows, Live may have found a path in the registry without the need for browsing.
3. Make sure that the Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder option is set to “On,“ so that your se- lected folder is an active source for VST Plug-ins in Live. Note that you can choose not to use your VST Plug-ins in Live by turning off the Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder option.

Setting up VST Plug-In Sources for Mac OS X.
Set up your VST Plug-ins under Mac OS X by doing the following:
1. Your VST Plug-ins will normally be installed in the following folder in your home and local directories: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST. You can turn Live’s use of these plug-ins on or off with the Use VST Plug-ins in System Folders option.
2. You may have an alternative folder in which you store your VST Plug-ins (perhaps those that you use only with Live). You can use VST Plug-ins in this folder in addition to, or instead
Working with Instruments and Effects 232
of, those in the System folders. To tell Live about the location of this folder, click the Browse button next to the VST Plug-In Custom Folder entry to open a folder-search dialog for lo- cating and selecting the appropriate folder.
3. Note that you can turn off your VST Plug-ins in this folder using the Use VST Plug-In Custom folder option.
Once you have configured your Plug-In Preferences, the browser will display all plug-ins it finds in the selected VST Plug-in folder(s) as well as any sub-folders.
It is also possible to use VST Plug-ins stored in different folders on your computer. To do this, create a Mac OS or Windows alias of the folder where additional VST Plug-ins are stored, and then place the alias in the VST Plug-In Custom folder (or in the VST Plug-In System folder on Mac OS X) selected in Live’s File/Folder Preferences. The alias can point to a different partition or hard drive on your computer. Live will scan the set VST Plug-in folder as well as any alias folders contained therein.
Some VST Plug-ins contain errors or are incompatible with Live. During the scanning process, these may cause the program to crash. When you re-launching Live, a dialog will appear to inform you about which plug-in caused the problem. Depending on what Live detects about the plug-in, you may be given the choice between performing another scan or making the problem- atic plug-in unavailable. If you choose to rescan and they crash the program a second time, Live will automatically make them unavailable, meaning that they will not appear in the browser and will not be rescanned again until they are reinstalled.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:00 pm 

Thanks again. The problem is that I did exactly what you said and I still see nothing in the plugin panel.
I really don't know where to go from there.
Patrick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 pm 

and it's a 32 bit plugin? Try some others, you can get some good free ones. There's a list on my website, under Features, some will have PC versions.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 pm 

Thanks again Frank, it works now. I didn't realize that all the plugins I had were 64-bit. Thanks again.
Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 pm 

Glad to hear you sorted it Patrick

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm 

Actually, one of the plugin I tried was 32-bit but maybe it does not work because it's a 30-day trial (it's Realstrat).
Thanks again Frank
Patrick