All times are UTC

Post subject: New Downloading Tool for Assets (like Live packs)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm 

I'm currently redownloading everything, including packs for the newest version of Live, and on a new computer -- I am realizing that I despise the current system of package management.

In short, using HTTP downloading, you can only cue up a few at a time (I think like 5 or something?) until you have to wait for a file to finish downloading to cue the next. Being that many of the files are 2 GB +, this really sucks.

It would be awesome if there were an integrated tool for package management that allowed me to install and remove packs directly from within the application, or even as a separate tool that downloads and installs all at once.

Mostly though, I just wish I didn't have to use a chrome plugin like download-them-all to cue everything.

Edit: Or perhaps have even larger packs put together like "The Everything Package" a 20 GB download with everything in it. Or maybe "The Everything Package" is a dynamicly created zip file that contains all of the packages you are authorized to use, instead of "everything"

Some people may think that's nuts, but many others with solid internet connections would benefit from the simplicity.

Post subject: Re: New Downloading Tool for Assets (like Live packs)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 am 

Oddly enough bitwig has something exactly like this. I know that this doesnt help you immediately. But perhaps it will in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 am 

or StudioOne,

there you get a window within StudioOne you can mark the packs you want to download, you see which are installed and let S1V2 do the download and install process over night. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:24 pm 

It just seems that the repository has become so massive (especially when you have Suite!!!!!), and the way they are handling ALPs these days -- it really makes a lot of sense. Goodbye web browser requirement... Let us download and install Live Packs directly from Live Prefs!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm 

Definitely makes sense. They would probably sell way more Livepacks this way. But then everybody would complain that all they care about is selling Livepacks 8O