Specs for a new browser.

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
bakku
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by bakku » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:45 pm

The Finn wrote:8) Yes, well I guess no-one will disagree with that.

But what about the features? Shouldn't we be more specific?

Lemme see.

(1) Categories are nice. But they should be editable or assignable. You should be able to create new categories (I need one for 'wibbly sounds', for example). You should be able to delete categories or rename them. As some ppl on this forum have said, a tag system is probably most sensible since a sound should be able to belong to more than one category.

(2) Scanning should be optional. I want to have my music collection as a folder under my places, but I don't want it scanned, and I don't want it to be searchable.

(3) If Abes implement (2) they should then also be able to make it possible to open your open your own folder structure within the Live browser.

(4) You should be able to choose what goes in your core library. You should be able to delete presets and options you don't like. Stuff you don't want should not be sitting there, obscuring the stuff you do want.

It seems to me those four things would sort out a lot of problems with the browser and get rid of many of the features that are driving a lot of people crazy. I think any browser rebuild that does not contain these four features would miss the point; the browser would still be essentially irritating.

Then there are some nice-to-haves

(1) Ability to audition your own presets. I like the Live 9 audit function - I can find sounds easily without actually installing the instrument in a track. Seeing that Ableton allows me to save my presets, shouldn't it be possible to save a sound wav file with it?

(2) Ability to read mp3 tags. It would be nice to have information about e.g. the artist, the album, the bpm etc. This is probably a tricky thing to implement.

(3) The Christopher Walken clip colouring service should be extendable to browser folders. It would make things easier to find. I want my wibbly sounds in a purple folder, for example, and the knobbly ones in a green one. And so on.

Hmmm. that's all I can think of for now...
+1

burningfeetman
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by burningfeetman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 am

Wow, even Steam now supports metadata for games!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/tag

Bitwig has it coming too;

"Metadata-based browser - Find your musical material quickly. Add tags and search by content type."

So ... in this day of age, why can't we have tags in Live? Or even at least the ability to search the "info" text so that we can store keywords there!

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 am

How can it manage the consistency between file location and tags? And when it is corrupted who want to build them again?
Image

burningfeetman
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by burningfeetman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:51 am

pencilrocket wrote:How can it manage the consistency between file location and tags? And when it is corrupted who want to build them again?
So long as there are export, import, relocation & repair tools, this is not of concern. In the meantime, I'm using XYplorer to manage & tag my files.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Are you expecting DAW programmers program the database system whose quality is same level as the one genuinely made for it?
Image

burningfeetman
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by burningfeetman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 am

pencilrocket wrote:Are you expecting DAW programmers program the database system whose quality is same level as the one genuinely made for it?
This is a feature wish list thread. I'm simply adding my browser wish to the wish list.

nonnus
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by nonnus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 am

i just wish previewing a sample did not stop whenever i click on something,
besides breaking the workflow of all previous versions it just feels buggy behaviour:
-for example changing preview volume while preview is playing (something so simple)
if we use a midi controller preview does not stop, if we use the mouse it does

-another one, muting a track while previewing a sample:
if we use a midi controller or the keyboard f1-f8 keys preview keeps playing,
if we use the mouse to click on the track active button preview stops

it makes no sense and just feels incoherent

Stereocheck
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:14 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by Stereocheck » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 am

i just wish previewing a sample did not stop whenever i click on something,
besides breaking the workflow of all previous versions it just feels buggy behavior:
-for example changing preview volume while preview is playing (something so simple)
if we use a midi controller preview does not stop, if we use the mouse it does
Agree.
Suggested solutions would be:
A "Sticky" button next to the "Raw" button that means mouse clicks to anything other than the stop button don't stop sample playback.
Monitor volume control changes don't stop sample preview playback (sticky mode or not).
Maybe a smaller duplicate monitor volume control in the sample preview control (my monitor is 2560 x 1440 so the monitor volume is a long way from the sample preview window).

alec.tron
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by alec.tron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 am

Out of curiousity, and since the current half-baked state of the Browser is utterly frustrating...

With the amount of threads from back when the Browser/Library was switched, with the arrival of Live 9:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=199787
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=197331
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194858
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=204673
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190514
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192022

and how every user of Live seems to feel the same way ()but apparently Ableton do not...) - that there should be a fully faceted / tag based library system in Live where users can create and maintain taxonomy/metadata themselves by creating and assigned groups/tags/names to devices and sounds freely as it makes sense to their libraries, workflows and brains - how come this is, 4 years later, still the same half baked mess and no apparent change in Live 10 either (from the looks ) ?

I'm seriously puzzled about this coming back to Live after a long hiatus...

Churs.
c.

burningfeetman
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by burningfeetman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm

alec.tron wrote:Out of curiousity, and since the current half-baked state of the Browser is utterly frustrating...

With the amount of threads from back when the Browser/Library was switched, with the arrival of Live 9:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=199787
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=197331
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194858
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=204673
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190514
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192022

and how every user of Live seems to feel the same way ()but apparently Ableton do not...) - that there should be a fully faceted / tag based library system in Live where users can create and maintain taxonomy/metadata themselves by creating and assigned groups/tags/names to devices and sounds freely as it makes sense to their libraries, workflows and brains - how come this is, 4 years later, still the same half baked mess and no apparent change in Live 10 either (from the looks ) ?

I'm seriously puzzled about this coming back to Live after a long hiatus...

Churs.
c.
This a billion times. I've dabbled in using 3rd party apps like TagSpaces & XYplorer, but the various workflows I've pursued just don't come across as seamless.

alec.tron
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 am

Re: Specs for a new browser.

Post by alec.tron » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 am

burningfeetman wrote: This a billion times. I've dabbled in using 3rd party apps like TagSpaces & XYplorer, but the various workflows I've pursued just don't come across as seamless.
Sweet! If you can; +1 the centercode suggestions about this if you haven't yet!
As is, this seems to be low on their list of priorities unfortunately... probably due to people having become fed up with this and having learned to ignore & live with these, for me severe, shortcomings of the browser that have been around for 5 ish years since the introduction of this half baked mess in Live9...

Churs.
c.

Post Reply