Remove non-scale notes when entering midi like Push does

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Lord Christchurch

Remove non-scale notes when entering midi like Push does

Post by Lord Christchurch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Just like Push does, it would be great to set the scale of a midi clip and then only have the notes in the scale available rather than all the wrong notes. Would make composing a lot easier for those who don't know the scales. It could be a simple button next to the FOLD button which hid all the notes that are not in the scale (which could be set somewhere else or again next to the fold button). Alternatively the notes that are not in the scale could be a different colour.

Lord Christchurch

Re: Remove non-scale notes when entering midi like Push does

Post by Lord Christchurch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:54 pm

That's not what I'm talking about, I already own Push! - i'm talking about in the program - the midi note editor. Having the option to remove all notes from the notes in the midi note editor that are not in a key that you specify. Then you would be able to copy patterns anywhere within the midi note editor and it would always be in key.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
Lord Christchurch wrote:That's not what I'm talking about, I already own Push! - i'm talking about in the program - the midi note editor. Having the option to remove all notes from the notes in the midi note editor that are not in a key that you specify. Then you would be able to copy patterns anywhere within the midi note editor and it would always be in key.
Folded?

This. Punch in the notes you want (outside of the loop bracket) and then fold and voila!

Lord Christchurch

Post by Lord Christchurch » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 am

Hey that's a great workaround, thanks! However as i'm posting in feature requests i'd like Ableton to add it as a feature - to save me having to go through and work out all of the correct notes for every scale and copying down for each octave and each clip etc. etc. Ableton Push already removes all of the non scale notes, it would be a nice feature if Ableton Live on screen would also do the same which it's already doing for Push.

Lord Christchurch

Post by Lord Christchurch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 am

Having used the workaround it would be much easier to have a single box underneath the FOLD button on the midi clip editor with the following to choose from

All - would show all notes (as it does now)
C - Would only show notes in the Scale of C and hide all the others
C# - Would only show notes in the Scale of C# and hide all the others
D - Would only show notes in the Scale of D and hide all the others
G# - Would only show notes in the Scale of G# and hide all the others
etc.

You could have all the uncommon scales at the bottom of the list too

The FOLD button would work independently of this in the way it does now and only show notes that are used in the midi clip.

Post by 102455 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:57 am

What about accidentals?

:lol:

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 am

I've been using folded scale notes for a while. You can download all minor key midi files below and then click fold to only show the scale notes.

http://www.jeremy-latham.com/scale-midi ... ay-in-key/

Lord Christchurch

Post by Lord Christchurch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks digimixa, really helpful! Wouldn't it be great though if Ableton added this as a feature?

There's lots of space underneath the fold button for a new box to select "All" to show all notes or "C#" or whatever to show just the notes in that scale.