Turn off indexing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wayfinder

Re: Turn off indexing

Post by wayfinder » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Hahah you know what setting the Indexer to Idle also fixed? The thing where Collect All And Save would stop updating the dialog after the third or so file and freeze for a few minutes. God how I don't miss that. The Indexer really seems to be the weakest point of Live, code-wise? It's also the reason we don't get to see symbolic links any more.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:51 pm

I've noticed that if a song is taking minutes to load, and "disk buffering" light is on, and the little status bar at the bottom is crawling 20%, 21%, 22%, showing samples loading... in slow motion (It happens a lot to me)

I've found that killing the indexing process makes the song load instantly!
the samples loading progress bar suddenly goes from 23% to " done".

That indexer is shit.
Why the hell is it scheduled to index while urgent music making disk processes are trying to complete?
Imagine that happening in front of an audience! Just let me open up task manager a moment. Now we can have music. WTF Ableton.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm

PLEASE REMOVE THE INDEXER

none of the things that used to work to curb its excesses help any more

i would seriously pay extra for a version of live with just direct disk access and no indexing at all

PLEASE

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

it's literally gotten to the point where i cannot open files any more. Live is broken.

edit: how does this even happen

Code: Select all

2019-11-17T19:57:26.677515: info: Configuring places: Time elapsed: 655330
2019-11-17T19:59:43.333332: info: DatabaseGC: Marking unused files. Time: 136227
note that Live is completely unresponsive while this is going on

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 pm

it's not even used to locate missing media files, where it would actually be useful

torbenscharling

Post by torbenscharling » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:25 pm

wayfinder wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 pm
it's not even used to locate missing media files, where it would actually be useful
Ya they really need to step up their game! Expecting people to support and buy their products won’t last forever if they don’t start fixing some of these big issues. Manually having to scout for missing files and shit like that, not really fruitful in 2020

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm

i just timed Live from starting the app to being able to even select the "open file" option in the menu, and it took 7 minutes. that can't be right, can it? could you at least not lock the UI while the indexer is choking

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm

oh here's another great thing: it's not like it allows users to type in a search term and get all matching files. haha, no. instead it locks the UI, then does nothing for a few minutes, then starts populating the results with the wrong thing because you wanted to type "taiko" and after two letters it broke everything trying to find every file with "ta" in it

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:50 am

if it's too difficult for your team, you could ask these people: https://www.voidtools.com/

their tool wants to do the same things as the indexer, but it works.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 pm

i've been forced to use live 8 for a while on a different computer, and it's such a marked difference, fast and responsive, i dread going back to live 10, i wish i had never upgraded

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

This thing has so thoroughly soured me on using Live that I did not even TRY to make music since last October. Please, please allow us to turn off the Indexer and access the disk directly. I miss music making so much :(

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am

this is how long Live was completely unresponsive starting up:

Septabeat

Post by Septabeat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm

SOLUTION!!!

I have a friend who is a ninja computer dude who deals with all my advanced music related computing issues. He logged in to my computer remotely and fixed this for me and I asked him if I could share the solution here (he said its fine).

He basically created 2 files on my desktop - clicking one enables the indexing and the other disables it, so you can easily switch it on again if there's a problem. Even when off it's been working OK for me anyway.

Here's the link on his page to download the solution
https://www.facebook.com/sandboxcompute ... 5604336508

I highly recomming him, he always solves issues I can find the answer to online!

PS. Before I met him I was going to buy a Mac as I didnt feel I could trust windows. But he logged into my computer and tweaked windows in all sorts of ways I've never seen or heard spoken of online. But he went even further for my live performance maching and built me a version of windows which is completely stripped down, no windows updates or crappy stuff slowing down my computer. I get the lowest latency I've ever seen and it's completely changed my computing life! He calls it Windows Zen, as opposed to normal windows which he calls WIndows ADHD! I'm confident he could help anyone who has issues with windows and audio work of any kind.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 am

It looks like I have a lead on what made Live crap out in the first place! I removed the directory where I keep my project files from Places, and Indexer "Configuring Places" times are down to an acceptable-a-f 5 seconds (from, remember, 27 MINUTES). I was gonna do some more tests which of my projects directories was the culprit (i keep separate ones for Live 8, Live 9 and Live 10 projects) but then I realized that I can make music again and did that instead, sorry :)

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 am

.....and we're back to 5 minute pauses every time i load a project. what

why