all in one pcs versus laptops

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

all in one pcs versus laptops

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am

What are peoples's opinions on this?

I am thinking of making the switch from desktop to laptop or all in one pc.

I started looking at large screen laptops around 20 inch (which used to exist) and then a friend suggested that I start looking at all in one pcs which seem to have replaced large screen laptops.

My main motivation for switching is so that I can get some mobility - I don't need to be able to take it on the underground under my arm but it would be nice to be able to go to a studio or to another location with all my stuff.

What about touchscreen on the all in one?

Is this any use?

They all seem to be touchscreen - is this any use? if not should I go back to windows 7 (which is what I used right now)?

Should I try and get a non touchscreen all in one?

Or go for the laptop?

Cheers

bastien

Re: all in one pcs versus laptops

Post by bastien » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am

I went for the 'best of both worlds' approach recently. Core i7 laptop with a bog-standard 15 inch screen (1366x768 resolution), which hence wasn't too expensive, hooked up to the 1920x1200 24 inch display I already had.

Loads of screen and something you can actually carry around too.

Oh and it's *quiet* and *fast*, compared to the old desktop anyway!

Touchscreens though? Can't see the use, yet.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:36 am

I can't see the use of touchscreen for me either but wondered.

Since I don't really have a good enough laptop or nice screen like you this would be a more costly option than the all in one I think.

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am

Touch screen use for long sessions is painful. You'll use the mouse/touchpad/trackball most of the time, and your body will thank you for it.

I second the "great laptop, nice external screen" option. If you can find a laptop with the specs you need nothing beats the mobility. If you never actually need to work off battery, but simply plan to move around and set up at a table everywhere (the likely scenario on these forums) you could go for something crazy high-end like Alienware. The gap between desktop and laptop hardware is small these days, as there are no longer separate lines for desktop and laptop use. The laptop CPUs are simply lower-clock desktop CPUs. When you get to the i7 level it counts as 50% more GHz of i5, at least for the current generations. Anything i7 you pick will be very nice.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 pm

someone else from a field other than music recommended the "laptop plus nice added screen" option - interesting