VST3 Support!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Thomasch

Re: VST3 Support!

Post by Thomasch » Wed May 24, 2017 7:45 pm

+1 for VST3 support!
Unbelievable that this is ignored for such a long time...
There are no excuses not to integrate VST3 into live!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Thomasch wrote:+1 for VST3 support!
Enough with the hyperbole. It's not unbelievable nor are there no excuses. Several have been mentioned in this very discussion. No-one is saying VST3 support wouldn't be nice.
Make some music!

Thomasch

Post by Thomasch » Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Enough with the hyperbole. It's not unbelievable nor are there no excuses. Several have been mentioned in this very discussion. No-one is saying VST3 support wouldn't be nice.
Dude, we talking about a industry standard that exists since 2008.
Can't see any hyperbole at all, because there are already 9 years gone, to get the knowlege how to implement VST3 into a DAW.
Theres not really progress in development anymore on this DAW, besides making Ableton Live a external OS for Push.
We are talking about a DAW, that costs 600€.
Thats a little more than Cubase Pro would cost me.
For this price a paying customer can expect to get a professional software that meets simple industry standards like VST3, that exists for around 9 years, or in case of full MIDI/SysEx/PolyAftertouch implementaion, that exists since the 1980s.
And the list of hardly needed feature requests goes on, but this depends maybe to another thread.

To me it looks more and more, as if Ableton is sawing off the branch they are sitting on.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 25, 2017 10:22 am

Thomasch wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Dude, we talking about a industry standard that exists since 2008.
I'm not against the suggestion. I've voted for it. BUt it helps to understand the whys.
You clearly haven't read the discussion. You don't fully understand. That's all there is to this.
Make some music!

Thomasch

Post by Thomasch » Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 pm

FYI, i did read the whole 10 sites and the clue seems to be, that it doesn't happen because it's more "difficult" than implementing VST2.4.
I think i fully understand...
But as a customer, i simply expect from 600€ professional software, that their devs are able to do even the more difficult tasks, to deliver a software with an up to date and professional feature set.
If their programmers are not able to do it, they should hire a skilled programmer whith the necessary knowledge.
Other developers are able to build VST3 capable hosts, and i'm pretty sure not all of them worked for Steinberg before.
And from what i see, there are also some DAWs you can buy for much less money than Abelton Live, where the devs were able to implement VST3 into their hosts.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Thomasch wrote: Other developers are able to …
See, you might read, but you don't understand, There's a priority chain and VST3 rightfully isn't on top. As if lack of VST3 was the biggest issue Live has. You can't be a heavy user if you think that. Or just lucky.

Bitwig 2 just added VST3 support. You could switch to that until Ableton gets to VST3. I'm sure they will get there.

I'm all for the suggestion, as I said, but I can't silently accept the exaggerations on this issue as if it was only laziness behind the fact there is no implementation. Feel free to disagree of course.

Did you write to Steinberg to complain how badly they opened up VST3 for third party DAW developers? They're really behind the difficulties of VST3 implementation.

"VST isn't as "open" of a format as Steinberg tout it to be".
--Machinesworking (in previously linked discussion)
Make some music!

planetcalient

Post by planetcalient » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm

+1 for VST3 support!

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm

+100 for VST3 support!
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

Joe Chapman

Post by Joe Chapman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:20 am

I've just bought PSP Vintage Warmer 2.

I can't use it because I have a 4k screen, and you won't give us VST3 support. I realise some companies' VST2 plugins do have scalable VSTs, but this is not the point. PSP doesn't feel it has to, I guess, because they offer a VST3 version and every other major sequencer has it. It is a much bigger job for them to make a scalable version of the VST2 version, and for every other company to do so for every VST2 which also suffers this issue, than it is for you to just give us VST3 compatibility so it would be there by default.

Please do it! I know this is something that you think you can ride out, that isn't really an issue, but trust me, it is. Sooner or later most users will be on 4K+ displays, and you'll be losing customers to other DAWs.

B.Fuse

Post by B.Fuse » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:49 am

bump!!!!

Muzakmaker

Post by Muzakmaker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 am

+1

DDF

Post by DDF » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:47 pm

+1

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Joe Chapman wrote:I've just bought PSP Vintage Warmer 2.

I can't use it because I have a 4k screen, and you won't give us VST3 support. I realise some companies' VST2 plugins do have scalable VSTs, but this is not the point. PSP doesn't feel it has to, I guess, because they offer a VST3 version and every other major sequencer has it.
Exactly. Just look at Pro Tools 12 and its stellar support for VST3. And let's not forget LogicX. These pioneers of wide support for all types of plug-ins are impressive in their zealousness. Reason, yeah there you have another example of getting the importance of VST3 early-on.

In addition to this Ableton should take note how former Live users flocked to Cakewalk Sonar when they added VST3 support, finally, leading their way to success in the DAW market. Surely Ableton should follow their lead to bring these users back?
Make some music!

AbleAl

Post by AbleAl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 am

+1

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

AbleAl wrote:+1

I'm starting to guess this probably won't happen. Unless maybe NI converts over, but I highly doubt that as well.

Maybe VST 4. My guess though is Ableton probably took a stab at it and ran into issues before getting too far.