VST3 Support!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
HamHat

Re: VST3 Support!

Post by HamHat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I have some plug ins I still can't use. So how bout it Ableton, it's not like vst3 isn't free to support.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Bump

Thirdbeat

Post by Thirdbeat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes please!

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 pm

this has to be on the top 3 of things to add

i miss my waves plugins in ableton

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 pm

bump, +1 I'd love to see VST3 support as well :D
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:20 am

Imma gonna say something.

I have been with Live since version 2, which I happened upon as included with an interface I bought. The interface is long obsolete, but Live has always been ahead of the curve on everything it's included.

Until this lack of VST3 support. Here's why: most 64 bit VSTs are being created in VST3. Even Synthedit, that loved/hated simple tool for VST creation is outputting 64 bit VSTs in VST3 only.

Now, maybe I didn't look carefully enough at what I'd be losing when I switched to 64bit. I didn't expect to lose all of my 32bit VSTs, but there is apparently a workaround for this. But I also didn't expect not to use many of the 64bit VSTs on the market.

So this is something that I would like to see addressed.

Love,
Utenzil aka mikemc aka wizened and scarred ol tool

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 am

Imma say gonna thing.

This is the original reason why Apple and Emagic MOTU etc. were all interested in an native OSX plug in and Audio Units happened.
Every time Steinberg updates the VST spec all hosts have a bit of a hassle because although the manuals etc. for making VST plugins is nicely complete, surprisingly the information for hosting VSTs isn't so hot.

^^^ This is why it's not surprising that Ableton aren't jumping on VST3 support, they don't want buggy support with Live, early versions of 8 were embarrassing enough for them.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 am

Machinesworking wrote:Imma say gonna thing.

This is the original reason why Apple and Emagic MOTU etc. were all interested in an native OSX plug in and Audio Units happened.
Every time Steinberg updates the VST spec all hosts have a bit of a hassle because although the manuals etc. for making VST plugins is nicely complete, surprisingly the information for hosting VSTs isn't so hot.

^^^ This is why it's not surprising that Ableton aren't jumping on VST3 support, they don't want buggy support with Live, early versions of 8 were embarrassing enough for them.
No reason they can't support both, doesn't have to be one or the other. And my vst3s are perfectly stable on studio one. So not sure where all this bug talk is coming from?

XLII

Post by XLII » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 am

I would KILL for VST3!
Please please implement it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:21 pm

HamHat wrote:

No reason they can't support both, doesn't have to be one or the other. And my vst3s are perfectly stable on studio one. So not sure where all this bug talk is coming from?
The point isn't one or the other, both have flaws, just that VST support is more difficult than people think because Stienberg aren't very supportive of host implementation. Not surprised that Studio 1 has good vst3 support, Studio One was founded very similar to Bitwig, from ex Nuendo developers.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:44 am

Machinesworking wrote:
HamHat wrote:

The point isn't one or the other, both have flaws, just that VST support is more difficult than people think because Stienberg aren't very supportive of host implementation. Not surprised that Studio 1 has good vst3 support, Studio One was founded very similar to Bitwig, from ex Nuendo developers.
Some of my vst3s actually run better than my vst2s. Very frustrating. I guess it all just depends on what developers find they need to put more time into.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:59 am

Push really needs its own forum. Need to keep the important things up top.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:14 am

HamHat wrote:
Some of my vst3s actually run better than my vst2s. Very frustrating. I guess it all just depends on what developers find they need to put more time into.
Nuendo is the Pro version of Cubase, Cubase is made by Steinberg the company that develops the VST format. So Studio One developers who used to work on the code for Nuendo would have probably the easiest time implementing VST3.

Basically big new versions of the VST format have always been hard on some developers, it's the sort of problem that happens when a company like Steinberg control the code, and make a major DAW that competes directly with DAWs that use the VST code.

The other choices are just as funky for various reasons though, Audio Units are Mac only, AAX only works in Pro Tools, and Propellerheads came up with their own format even.... bleh!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 am

VST 3.0 has actually been out since 2008. The spec is actually at 3.5 now.

I'm guessing that 4.0 is probably around the corner.

Actually at the end of 2013 Steinberg stopped distributing the 2.4 SDK.

I'm guessing the next version of Live will have this since many plugin manufactures are now converting over.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:44 pm

jlgrimes wrote:VST 3.0 has actually been out since 2008. The spec is actually at 3.5 now.

I'm guessing that 4.0 is probably around the corner.

Actually at the end of 2013 Steinberg stopped distributing the 2.4 SDK.

I'm guessing the next version of Live will have this since many plugin manufactures are now converting over.
One can only hope, but i'm not paying another $300 for vst3 I will switch over to bitwig before that happens.