Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Post by Stromkraft » Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm

locojohn wrote:
Where is this coming from?
I think the other discussion about naming channels leaked into my brain (which is implemented in 10). Please ignore.
Make some music!

wman1

Post by wman1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 am

+1 to this five year old thread.

Now Ableton 10 can remember what MIDI nonsense I'm doing before I hit record, but every time I plug in my audio interface (which is all the time with a laptop), I have to go into the prefs and select two dropdown menus. It can't be that hard to fix :D

Sleeper0013

Post by Sleeper0013 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Piplodocus wrote:For the love of god... can't we have an update that remembers I want my FW MOTU 828mk3 if it's connected, else give me the internal sound card. I never want NO audio, it's a music app, and I spend half my time when I open Live having to select either the internal audio or the MOTU! I know it's only a small thing but after YEARS of pressing Cmd-, and choosing my audio in both the dropdown boxes to get audio out my laptop depending whether it's got the external interface turned on it's driving me insane! OS X remembers use the MOTU, else go for internal, and never give me none, and that's not an audio app that has a great advantage by switching over to the decent one.

Surely it can't be that hard...

*facepalm*

P.S. guess who just opened Live and found they had the Audio Interface is Disabled again... :oops:

P.P.S. Yeah, this should probably have gone in the feature requests, but ya know...
Agreed!!! What was the last Device I used? is it there? then use it... if not find the other thing i use. if neither are there then use them when i turn them on and they become available. Im sick of going into preferences.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 am

Thing is I can see a serious issue with this. What if you use multiple audio interfaces and for instance in the studio you use AI "X" and for live performances you use AI "Y". Mostly you use "X". :

You perform using "Y" in front of an audience. While you do this one of your new techs that you hired last week to be able to get trough your successful tour decides to not only cable up your studio interface "X" for some post-gig work for a radio show, scheduled a few minutes you going off, but also inserts this to your rig to be able to go on right away. Result is that your audio is switched to interface "X" and your audience in disbelief is met with silence. A big problem, wouldn't you say?

If you ever had your audio interface cable get yanked out ever so slightly you'd know how this can feel. But of course you tape your cables experienced as you are, right?

I guess this issue could be solved with an order of preference for all remembered interfaces. If the above scenario can be diverted I'm all for this idea.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 pm

have the tech do it. that's what he's paid for. 8)
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

firsttimeroller

Post by firsttimeroller » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 am

+1 here

I power off my MOTU and speakers when I'm not working and shut down my computer. So after two years of having to open preference--doing this almost daily, I had to come over and gripe. Really freaking annoying. Live should remember your preferences. Every time I go into preferences, there's my MOTU Mk3 in both the output and input menus, but, as always both are set to "none" . wtf . Audio software that defaults to no audio audio drive...that's funny. I mean, there is the default system audio, at least. hahaha

Matt

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 pm

+1 reading this thread made me foam from the mouth

Spillby

Post by Spillby » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm

I also agree that this is a feature we need. I have an audio interface which sometimes starts to make noise, and I have to unplug the usb and put it back in to fix it. And every time I do that, Live shows an error message and I have to go back into preferences to select it again. Should be unnecessary.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm

I’ve never had this issue on Windows PC I assume this post relates to MAC however if not, I personally have set up my Windows in/outs with the audio interface as primary device and always start the interface before anything else.

That way of course my operating system expects to see the device at start up and is started by default before Live.

I’ve never had to re establish a connection in Live between my audio device and Live if it is present and the drivers are up to date.

If your moving around a lot with a laptop then of course your going to run into some ‘Plugin and Play’ issues establishing connections though usb/FireWire Limewire or whatever bolt on your using, but I don’t think this implicates Ableton in some sort of issue, to be honest I think they do a remarkable job, considering all the studio set ups that are possible.

slimhan

Post by slimhan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 pm

It has been 6 years since the first post and still we have this annoying stupid problem. How hard is it to make this simple change to remember the audio interface? You guys can spend time to come up with an idea that no one will probably see or benefit (collecting signatures of Push2 makers and engraving it to back side of the panel) but you can't fix an issue like this in many years? I'm so sick of seeing "Audio is disabled" message and for that reason, I just close Ableton and jump to Logic if I don't need Push particularly.

vokain

Post by vokain » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 pm

bump

edit: just sent in a help.ableton.com feature request for it

anthroid

Post by anthroid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 am

/bump

Hello from April 2019

SEPAT

Post by SEPAT » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 am

I really hope this gets fixed it’s been fucking with me for years and years. I’ve only had laptops since owning computers in my lifetime.

bazrush

Post by bazrush » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 pm

I thought it was only me this was driving crazy.

Surely when I plug my headphones into the MacBook it should remember that headphones have priority over the sound card. And then when I go into the studio and plug into the dock it'd remember that the studio soundcard was the one to use.

Drives me MAD!!!!!

ben_jamin88

Post by ben_jamin88 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06 am

this is my first post ever

BUT I NEED THIS TOO !!!!
remember my preferences!
or like in bios ...
a list of which one the select first. Like how your pc starts up from what HDD/SSD/USB device he should search a OS on.