Layered MIDI Editing like Pro Tools, FL Studio or Bitwig!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Do you like this function?

Yes, it is really nice!
100%
No, it is not necessary.
No votes

Total votes: 16

Funmichi

Layered MIDI Editing like Pro Tools, FL Studio or Bitwig!

Post by Funmichi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Hello,
it would be nice, if Ableton features Layered MIDI editing, where you can see the other midi tracks as shadows in the background and where you can edit multiple tracks at once! also the audio as shadow in the background. It is nice for composers who work with chords and make voicings!

HamHat

Re: Layered MIDI Editing like Pro Tools, FL Studio or Bitwig!

Post by HamHat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 pm

This actually a very cool feature on fl studio, it's called ghost channels. Not sure how it would look on Ableton tho.

Funmichi

Post by Funmichi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Stuff like this and many more, which Ableton cant do, will be available within Bitwig! I will buy it, because Ableton hasnt all these possibilties.
Things like Modulating everything with everything in a fast manner, plugin crash protection, Arranger Clip Launger, Hybrid Tracks, 32&64 Bit VST support, working via LAN and all inside a full modular system like Reaktor! This could be dangerous for Ableton!

alb13

Post by alb13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Something like this?

Funmichi

Post by Funmichi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Also clip based layered editing and the possibility to decide which MIDI tracks I want so see or which I want to see AND edit!

Bucephalus

Post by Bucephalus » Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 pm

alb13:

What is that? Concept design?

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Thu May 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Funmichi wrote:Stuff like this and many more, which Ableton cant do, will be available within Bitwig! I will buy it, because Ableton hasnt all these possibilities.
Things like Modulating everything with everything in a fast manner
You can do this in Ableton, and if you couple it with the options afforded by Max for Live, it's almost an overkill of modulation possibilities.
plugin crash protection
I'm not sure what this is?
Arranger Clip Launger
This is a nifty feature, but I personally have no issues with toggling windows. And, now that you can float the windows separately, you can basically set this up by resizing the windows. Also, investing in a separate monitor for dual-monitor production in the studio is great. When playing live, I don't go into the arrange window anyway.
Hybrid Tracks
Maybe I just don't get it, but what is the purpose of this?
32&64 Bit VST support
But no AU support?! Nearly 100% of the plugins I use have updated to 64 bit by this point anyway, but no AU support is a huge deal for me.
working via LAN
would be cool, but it hasn't been implemented yet. I can sync my projects with multiple computers with midi clock after a little setup.

also, https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/syn ... r-network/
and all inside a full modular system like Reaktor!
This is another feature they're promising to include in the future, so at this point the greatness of it is all speculation. Meanwhile, Ableton has Max for Live.

The coolest unique feature Bitwig has as far as I can see is the ability to pitch bend individual notes. I'm not going to buy a new DAW just for that one feature, but it would be great if Ableton would bring that feature in. Competition is good because it keeps developers on top of matching the features, like how Logic has finally gotten Flex mode and Midi FX (which they basically lifted directly from Ableton).

Bitwig is a lot of promise that "eventually this will be great!" features, but at the moment you can't even create track groups? Is there a feature like the audio effect rack chains? Is there anything like ClyphX scripting functions at this point? There's not even a plan to implement rewire support!

Sorry for the derailing, but I don't get why people are so thrilled about Bitwig.

Funmichi

Post by Funmichi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 am

WOW!!!

I looked back after a while and Im really impressed about the many people who also like the functio of layered midi editing!!

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:31 pm

You can add Studio One to your title.
Garry Knight