How Long Could A Request Take To Implement? <-- ANSWERS

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
yudhisthira

How Long Could A Request Take To Implement? <-- ANSWERS

Post by yudhisthira » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:42 am

isnt basic funtionality/bug fixing more important than marketing push?
i dont understand, but if you were thinking of your own "brand new" request and not getting behind old, ignored requests then lets see how long you might wait..

Dual Monitors: (producers have had dual monitors for many years, this is not an unreasonable request)

This is the first request i could find (dated December 1st, 2003)
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 875&hilit= dual monitors

& here is the feature announcement (dated September 17th, 2013)
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... ase-notes/

So thats a total of at LEAST 9 years, 10 months & 16 days!
OR 3608 days, OR 311,731,200 seconds.

at this rate we will have PDC and everything else fixed by hopefully 2047.
i look forward to it,

Last edited by yudhisthira on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

re:dream

Re: How Long Could A Request Take To Implement? <-- ANSWERS

Post by re:dream » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:21 am

Someone on this forum, some time, noted that the essence of good software design involves "intelligently ignoring your user base". I thought that was a very interesting point. While you should certainly look at user requests, it is always important to have your own strategy and vision. The feature wishlist is not a customer care function. It is a suggestion box. :)

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:29 am

I'm using Live since v4 and really like the simplicity and relative ease of use ... but I'm loosing my trust in Ableton company waiting for years for small improvements. I'm not the type of person who is used to complain and ask for improvements, but I'm now quite "irritated". I'm not asking for big news functionalities, but for clever enhancements that might improve the daily uses of Live and could open news creativity fields, without loosing the main goals and ways of doing that Live is well known for.

Just an example : I would like to record in realtime some ambient "beat-less" soundscapes perform in realtime on my modular in an audio clip. It's quite easy thanks to the clip paradigm, I will say it's one of the main core idea of Live : play, record, loop in realtime without stopping the inspiration. But what if you want these "beat-less" drone soundscapes to be independent for the "beat" clock tempo, because they are just sound textures ? You can't because if an audio clip is looped (so it has to be warped), this clip HAS to be locked to the main tempo, which is very powerful for rhythms, beats, melodic stuffs. Some "experimental" musics are a mixture of deep soundscapes having their own "sonic life", independent for the main tempo, and other more rhythmical phrases, locked to the main tempo that you could vary in realtime as a tool for musical expression. NO, it's not possible in Ableton Live ... at least, I didn't find a clever and easy way to achieve this.

I know, I could have use the Looper effect, but I've encountered a lot of random audio glitches when starting the loop record, and it's not as clever and easy as the clip paradigm could have offered ... or I could have jump into MaxForLive and try to find an other way to do it. I have a good experience in Max since 1992, but I'm now borded to spend my time programming MaxForLive patches instead of making music ...

:? :( :evil:

... sorry to annoy all of you with my grumpy attitude toward Ableton, but atm I just want to switch off both my computer and my modular, and do something more gratifying.

:(

I really have the feeling that Ableton is not listening to experienced (or not) hobby musician/users ... :|

Hédi K.

Maybe writing this make me feel a little bit better ... :)

fargo100

Post by fargo100 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 am

yudhisthira wrote:isnt basic funtionality/bug fixing more important than retina,melodyne etc?
tbh, I think if you have a Retina machine I would say that it comes under basic functionality.

It helps to be able to see the GUI without straining the eyes.

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:45 am

Well if Bitwig ever comes out and everyone starts buying that instead of Ableton they might start actually taking requests seriously. So hurry up Bitwig!

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:54 am

HamHat wrote:Well if Bitwig ever comes out and everyone starts buying that instead of Ableton they might start actually taking requests seriously. So hurry up Bitwig!
It's always good to have some competitions/concurrences between companies ! It will force each to enhance their products and innovate. :D

H.

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:48 pm

i don't see who they are making this software for, if not the people on this forum? 8O
Last edited by yudhisthira on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:02 pm

The Finn wrote:Someone on this forum, some time, noted that the essence of good software design involves "intelligently ignoring your user base". I thought that was a very interesting point. While you should certainly look at user requests, it is always important to have your own strategy and vision. The feature wishlist is not a customer care function. It is a suggestion box. :)

interesting point, but a bit depressing.. "intelligently" ignoring is hopefully whats happening here, must mean the customers aren't very bright then.. :)

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:08 pm

fargo100 wrote: tbh, I think if you have a Retina machine I would say that it comes under basic functionality.

It helps to be able to see the GUI without straining the eyes.
fair enough, i thought it was a cosmetic change. im sticking with my other example though!

yudhisthira

Post by yudhisthira » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:21 am

bump :mrgreen: