32 to 64... and Happy!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
HervéLD

32 to 64... and Happy!

Post by HervéLD » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 am

Hello,
Just to share my experience.. After reading some post on ableton.com, I was not sure to move to 64bit... Ableton themself do not recommand it! (?) I don't understand exactly why..
Yesterday, I review from a to z all my AU Library and downloaded the lastest one in 64bit (it takes me my full day, yes..). And then, I've finally decided to install Live 9.1 64bit on my MBP 2011 (8Go).
Resultat: no more crashes (I face so many crashed with Ableton 8, a real nighmarre). Now, everything is much more reactive. All my plugins are okay and I can use all my RAM! It just changes my life! DONT HESITATE!!! If you have 8Go (or more), just go 64bit! And forget (for ever) 32bit!
Best!

Headbang

Re: 32 to 64... and Happy!

Post by Headbang » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:34 am

it works properly! 64 bt is such a fine thing ;)

Thirdbeat

Post by Thirdbeat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:24 pm

The problem i had with 64 bit during the beta (but i dont know if they have created a "port") for it. Is that my vsti's that is 32 bit does not work with it. Does anyone know?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 pm

HervéLD wrote:Hello,
Just to share my experience.. After reading some post on ableton.com, I was not sure to move to 64bit... Ableton themself do not recommand it! (?) I don't understand exactly why..
Yesterday, I review from a to z all my AU Library and downloaded the lastest one in 64bit (it takes me my full day, yes..). And then, I've finally decided to install Live 9.1 64bit on my MBP 2011 (8Go).
Resultat: no more crashes (I face so many crashed with Ableton 8, a real nighmarre). Now, everything is much more reactive. All my plugins are okay and I can use all my RAM! It just changes my life! DONT HESITATE!!! If you have 8Go (or more), just go 64bit! And forget (for ever) 32bit!
Best!
The reason I can only assume that Ableton do not recommend for "normal" folks to go from 32 to 64bit is not many people will take your approach to upgrading. And that is, kids, to do research and PREPARE your software for the upgrade.

The question directly above me for instance is one of the reasons they don't want to suggest upgrading because they do not want to have to explain and answer the differences between 32/64 bit over and over and over and (guess what the answer is in the help section and even the manual) over and over.... and why the plugins don't work anymore.

64bit offers no performance gains in terms of speed etc, just a greater access to memory and hence larger project sizes which some of us really need. Yes, if you have 32 bit VST plugins they WILL NOT work directly in a 64bit host. You have 2 options:

- Get the 64bit version from the developer (most modern VSTs from the last decade have this option if they want to keep customers)
- Get a 32>64bit bridge such as jbridge (which on windows works just fine).
- Ableton will not make a bridge themselves and I am fine with that since most have just a few small plugins that could just be chucked or an existing bridge solution is just fine.

Hats off to you HervéLD by showing that doing your research and making your preparations BEFORE hand makes for a smooth transition and a happy customer :)