All times are UTC

Post subject: Color pads of Drum Rack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm 

It would be a cool visual tool to be able to color the pads in Drum Rack a la Maschine. Even better: could Live intelligently color drum rack cells based on name i.e.: a color associated with "kick" "kik" "KD" "BD" etc that live would automatically apply when those or other key words were in a pad name. And if these colors were also reflected in the folded midi editor with the pad names, all the better. I feel that having colors would speed up workflow as now you have a fast way of telling which pad is what type of instrument.

Currently you can color a chain, and that will be reflected in the mixer, but not on the drum rack pad or in the midi editor. Seems like it would be an easy thing to implement.

Post subject: Re: Color pads of Drum Rack
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:31 am 

Interestingly enough, I just discovered that naming drum cells in the way that you described actually defines the colors of the pads on the Maschine hardware. For examples, anything with "clap" in the cell name colors the pads a light blue, while the letter "K" triggers a red color. My guess (and fear) is that this is Maschine specific, but I'm going to dig through the Maschine remote scripts to if there's any hope of applying this to the Push hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 pm 

Mr.415 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I just discovered that naming drum cells in the way that you described actually defines the colors of the pads on the Maschine hardware. For examples, anything with "clap" in the cell name colors the pads a light blue, while the letter "K" triggers a red color. My guess (and fear) is that this is Maschine specific, but I'm going to dig through the Maschine remote scripts to if there's any hope of applying this to the Push hardware.

Just in case you are still alive, do you happen to have any good news to report a few years later? ;) I like the direction of your thinking!

live 8 suite
XP32 pro/core2duo T6500/4GB/
ni maschine mk1(1.8.2)/edirol pcr-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

+1.

My MPD218 doesn't support pad colouring, but many AKAI devices do. Also Push 1 does, so why not?

Mixcloud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm 

Just reiterating again in 2018 that it would be great to be able to change the color of the individual drum pads on drum rack.

In large projects, specifically for live shows, being able to quickly tell which pads are drums and which pads are sample chops would be very useful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:50 pm 

Feverkin wrote:
Just reiterating again in 2018 that it would be great to be able to change the color of the individual drum pads on drum rack.

In large projects, specifically for live shows, being able to quickly tell which pads are drums and which pads are sample chops would be very useful.

It is possible, for Push anyway.

If you are talking about having a VST mapped to your drum rack then you need to add a chain device to the pad to allow a colour to be set.

Video I created on this exact topic plus how to create multiple outputs for external mixing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74ty7w26jY&t=1s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 pm 

jestermgee wrote:

Video I created on this exact topic plus how to create multiple outputs for external mixing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74ty7w26jY&t=1s

Great work Jester! Here's the direct time to the coloring part in the excellent Ableton Live: VST in DrumRack with Multi-Outs & Push Colours by Jester Mgee.